+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did your oldest child meet new bub?

Hi
    We are due bub #2 and planning on a 3-4 day stay in hospital enjoying the service & meals cooked for us. My first child will be staying with grandparents who he has happily stayed with before and are keen to have him. When did most people have the first child visit/meet bubba? It seems mean for him to be brought to see his mum and dad and new sibling and then taken away again - almost like we are teasing him, or leaving him feeling replaced. But it also seems odd for him to not meet new bubba till he is 3-4 days old???
    What is everyone's thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    kind of depends on how old #1 is and how they'll react to visiting and going home without you.

DD1 was 3yrs when DD2 was born and she stayed with my mum at our house while i had a 5day hospital stay.
    she visited daily in the afternoon/evening but only for a half hour each day.
    each day i had a small present wrapped for her that she was allowed to open in the car on the way home with nanna - made her happy about leaving as she looked forward to the present.lol (presents were lip gloss, colouring book, sticker book, plastic jewellery just cheapish things)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dd1 was 2 and a half when dd2 was born she came up to meet the new bub about an hour after she was born she was excited to see the baby and was happy to go home with dad and grandma but I did leave hospital 8 hours after giving birth so I was home before dinner time (a little crazy I know lol) maybe just wait until you have the new bub see how your feeling and do what feels right at the time also depending on what time of day/night you have the baby you might need/want some rest before you have anyone come to see you just a thought.

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds1 had met his new brother less than 3 hours after he was born.

C-section, recovery and then room where dh, ds2 and I spent a bit of time together.

Hubby left to pick up ds1 and brought him back to the hospital where we all hung out for an hour or so. I wanted ds1 to be the first person to meet his brother.

When ds1 got bored, dh took him to get some lunch and called immediate family to let them know they could visit from then on.

Ds1 visited each day, sometimes twice a day. I loved his visits but hated saying goodbye. His visits ranged from 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on his mood and whether anyone else was visiting at the time.

This worked for us because hubby was with ds1 the whole time. Hubby came back to the hospital each night after he had put ds1 to bed in order to spend time with ds2 and I.

I think your ds's age and how well he is coping without you will determine when he visits.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 was 21 months when dd2 was born and she came to the hospital within an hour of her sister being born

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    15 mins of arriving special moment as DS2 was having his first bf and DS1 asked me if he was juicing my boobies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mahjong For This Useful Post:

MumDadBoyandGirl  (23-02-2012)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was 6. I was in labour in the morning, dropped him to Mum and Dad, who took him to school. They picked him up at 3pm and brought him to the hospital.

I'd have let him have the day off school, but they had an event on that he had really been looking forward to, and it turned out well that he wasn't able to come in straight away (bub was born mid-morning) as I had complications afterwards and was stuck being monitored in the delivery room all day.

Hospitals are pretty boring for the little people, even with the excitement of a new sibling. A few hours (max) of visiting and I'm sure he'll be happy to head home with his grandparents and enjoy some special time with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We waited until I came home after a 3 night stay. I just felt that DS would have possibly gotten more upset seeing me and then having to go again. He had a great time with his dad and barely noticed I was gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds1 and ds2 came to meet ds3 at about 11 the morning he was born (was born at 4.30). But we took them home with us, they spent an hour at the hospital while I was discharged and we all went home for a nap... It was great!
    The grandparents brought them in and then left when we were going home so we could keep it fairly normal for the boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest was 1 year and 8 months and she was so good with her baby brother very caring and was a great helping hand. She still is but there are plenty of screaming and whinging between them now over their toys.she is almost 3 and my son is 15 months.he tries to be dominant but she doesnt let him. But she still loves to help him whenever she can.