+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cmd'smum is offline Administrator
    I'm coming to get you Linda... ribbbit
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Donatelife week - Organ and Tissue donation in Australia.

Evening everyone!

As some of you may be aware, this week is Donatelife week, so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where organ donation can be discussed.

It would be great to hear stories of donation from donor families/recipients and give thanks.

I thought I’d also share some facts on organ donation in Australia:

*Although Australia has a world class reputation for successful transplant outcomes, it also has one of the lowest donation rates. We are currently ranked 24 in the world (Spain is ranked number 1).

*Around 1600 people are on Australian organ transplant waiting lists, on average, people on the transplant list can wait between 6 months and 4 years.

* In 2011, 337 organ donors gave 1001 Australians a new chance in life!!

*The number of organ donors and transplant recipients in 2011 was the highest since national records began.

*Australia needs more active engagement and awareness within the community to increase Australia's consent rate.

* In Australia the family will always be asked to confirm the donation wishes of the deceased before donation for transplantation can proceed.

*Australia's family consent rate is low, with less than 60% of families giving consent for organ and tissue donation to proceed.

* The most important thing that helps a family's decision is their knowing the wishes of their loved one.

* 43% of Australians do not know or are not sure of the donation wishes of their loved ones.

I thought it would be nice to also briefly share my family’s story, in hope that it will encourage people to discuss their donation wishes with family members. It is a very long story, however, in a nutshell, my husband was given a second chance of life in June 2011 when he had 2 liver transplants with 4 days of each other. He was in hospital for almost 4 months, and we came extremely close to losing him. No, the liver condition he had was not because of bad lifestyle choices, he had an auto immune disease where his immune system attacked his bile ducts. He is only here today because of the wonderful, amazing, selfless donors who discussed their donation wishes with their families. If it was not for them, my daughters would not have a father. There are no words to express our gratitude to them, they and their families are our angels and we will be forever grateful to them

We are blessed with amazing, skilled, world renowned Doctors, surgeons and medical staff. There is no reason why our wonderful country can't be in par with countries such as Spain, Portugal and France when it comes to organ donation! So please, if you already havn't, discuss your donation wishes with your loved ones as they will have the final say!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmd'smum For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (22-02-2012),misskittyfantastico  (22-02-2012),Mod-SammiAnn  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you for this thread xxx I'm so, so glad that your husband is doing well - it isn't an easy road.

My mother had a kidney transplant nearly nine years ago and her donor gave her back her life and gave our family back our mother, wife, grandmother, sister,daughter.

We will NEVER forget the generosity of our donors family for their selfless act and we hold our donor in our thoughts always.

I'm 33 years old, have three children and will need a transplant in the future.

Please talk to your families about donation and make your wishes known.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Organ donation is a personal choice and not something anyone should be forced into and it should be mandatory for everyone to register their decision on the organ donation website so the persons choice is clear rather than it be left to the family, I remember the hospital ringing me when my mother passed away asking me if she spoke of donating her organs, it was a decision left to me which was distressing for me when i was having enough trouble dealing with the sudden and unexpected death of my mother. Since then dh and i have registered our choice on the organ donation register.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    What a lovely story misskitty!

I really hope that when you do need a transplant, you will not be waiting long! I have been a donor since I started driving which was 15 years ago, however I didn't truly grasp the significance of organ donation until I watched my husband fading away in his hospital bed .People asked us why the drs let him get so ill before giving him a transplant, simple, they didn't, we just don't have enough donors. People need to rememebr that only 1% of Aussies die in a way in which their organs can be made transplantable. Even then, half the time, their families do not agree to donation.

All the best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cmd'smum For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Organ donation is a personal choice and not something anyone should be forced into and it should be mandatory for everyone to register their decision on the organ donation website so the persons choice is clear rather than it be left to the family, I remember the hospital ringing me when my mother passed away asking me if she spoke of donating her organs, it was a decision left to me which was distressing for me when i was having enough trouble dealing with the sudden and unexpected death of my mother. Since then dh and i have registered our choice on the organ donation register.
    This is why speaking to your family is so important - especially with regard to minors.

Also a family member can override the wishes of the deceased person even if they're on the register.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 22-02-2012 at 22:38.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no one close to me that has received an organ donation but think it is a wonderful thing to do.

I have said and made it very clear to family/friends that I wish to donate.

I would love if the system in Australia was similar to other countries where you have to specifically opt out if you dont wish to donate.

Or some kind of incentive on maybe cheaper private heath insurance if you agree to donate when you die.

Just my two cents

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrincessC For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (22-02-2012),misskittyfantastico  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only recently discussed this with my DH... I agree with a PP that it should be mandatory to register your wishes.

I am a big believer in donating organs... Without generous donors, there are a few dear people around me that wouldn't be here today.

I have made the decision to donate my body to science in the hopes that the research can branch out and help the wider population.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (22-02-2012),misskittyfantastico  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    kimberley, thank you for your post. This is why it is so important to express your donation wishes to your loved ones . most families who do not proceed with donation do so because they were not aware of their loved one's wish re donation. In this counrty, even if you are registered as a donor, your family will have the final say (and again, almost 100% of the time if family members know your wishes, they will uphold them). It's when they don't know your wishes they will tend to say "No", which of course in your time of grief is very understandable. My opinion is that the organ donor themself should have the final say, legally, there is no real basis for acquiring your family's consent. I've told my family that if they don't donate everything upon my death, i will come back and haunt them! :P

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cmd'smum For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    You are all amazing people! My husband is still here today because of the acts of generous, kind people such as yourselves.

I'm on the fence re the opt out system. I think it's a great idea, however, I feel that maybe this system if introduced would only anger potential donors because they feel their right to chose whether or not to become a donor has been taken away from them by the Government. It does seem to work well in other countries though. I think perhaps the law should be reformed so as to gie the actual donor the final say (i.e registering as an organ donor). I also think education plays a vital and significant role in awareness. I am constantly surprised at the myths that are still held in relation to organ donation!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cmd'smum For This Useful Post:

Mod-SammiAnn  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I think it is also worthy to mention blood donation! Not only do transplant recipients receive a large amount of blood during and after surgery, but we also do not have enough blood donors in this country! ! in 3 Australians will require a blood transfusion in their lifetime, only 1 in 30 donate! Proud to say that I'm a regular blood donor!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cmd'smum For This Useful Post:

Mod-SammiAnn  (25-02-2012)