+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Displaced Umbilical Cord

Hi, I cant seem to find much information on the www.

I had my 21 week hospital appointment today, and on my results from my 18-20 week scan it showed that my umbilical cord was not in the correct central position on the placenta, and that it was covering my cervix.
    The doctor has ordered my to get some more ultra sounds done.
    I asked if this is something to worry about, the doctor said potentially it could be dangerous, and that if I have any bleeding to come straight in.
    The only thing I could find online was that it leads to low birth weight and can have health risks later in life.
    My first daughter was 40 +9 and 4kgs. I was hoping everything would be ok this time too.
    I also haven't put an weight on since becoming pregnant.

Does anyone know any information on this or hard the same thing??
    Im a tad worried.

Thanks
    Bec

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I don't have time for a long reply but it sounds like you have a velamentous cord insertion. If it is covering the cervix it is called vasa previa, it sounds like this is occurring with yours.
    It can be very dangerous, but in the majority of cases with close monitoring you should both be fine. The vasa previa leaves you prone to bleeding so you will need to be aware of that and you will have regular ultrasounds and check ups. You will also need a cesarean in that case.
    Good luck, they have picked it up early so you should be fine *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi! agree with PP. I had a velamentous cord and a true knot with DD but neither was picked up until she was born. Midwife said both can be dangerous and if either had been picked up i would definitely have been booked for a ceasar. Its ideal that in your case it has been picked up early so try not to let it worry you too much.

Keep us updated

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks

Thank you, I need to learn to take it easy.
    Im a single mum of a 3.5 year old and work full time so i forget to stop and rest. I think this might make that happen a bit more.
    I have an ultra sound in 2 weeks, also as the monitor it I will feel better.
    It just hard not to freak out.

Thanks Again, will update after my ultra sound results come in.