+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys both slept only in their portacot and didn't actually have a proper cot.

We thought that when we do travel that they are sleeping in their own bed so they sleep better.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on the child and life style.

DD HATED the play pen. She would scream and scream and SCREAM if I even considered putting her in it while I used the loo.

On the other hand, it has been a god send for dinner outings at friends/relatives/on holidays/bbqs etc. I have been able to live my life AND provide DD with a decent sleep/down time.

I love our porta cot and I don't know what I'd do without it.. Probably calling every trip short because DD was tired and being a feral

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we've used ours heaps! We travel quite a bit, so need it for that and also things like when my parents have babysat for us at their place. We couldn't have gotten by without it

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have used my portacot excessively, it's one of the most valuable things we bought. Obviously it depends on the family though...people will give differing opinions depending on what they prefer (For instance, I have never used the change table and even sold it in the end because it just gathered dust. Other people say it was their best buy). If you think you will use it, then I would suggest buying one. You can always sell it down the track

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're on baby number 3 and never had one. On the rare occasion we've needed one, we been able to borrow one from friends.
    We live in a small apartment so just used baby gates to make a child-friendly play area, so no play pen either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm pregnant with my first and I bought one. My inlaws live just over an hour away and when we first we usually stay over the weekends and as bub won't have room to have his own room we got the portacot so he can sleep and stay there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't have one, wouldnt use it. DS will sleep in the pram but we plan our life around his sleeps lol he's a funny sleeper and I don't think he would sleep well in one.

MIL has one and we have borrowed it when we went away but the place we stayed could have provided one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have one and used it a fair bit before jasper was 1. I did travel a fair bit though. it was used a bit as a play pen, but I'll probably use it more with baby no. 2 as we have tiles so I'd want her off the floor & a 3 year old who will love her so very much - so she'll be safer in the porta cot occasionally

I also used it often because I baby sat from home a lot so it was handy having a spare cot! Also a spare cot for friends when they visited.

And also when jasper was 1-2 years we moved his cot back into our room... And if we wanted... *cough* alone time *cough cough* we could transfer him into the portacot till he woke up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Never owned one or had a need for one. My IL's gave my theirs when DD1 was a baby and it sat in the corner collecting dust so we gave it back. DD1 wouldn't sleep in it and it just felt like too much of a pain to set up if we were out and she'd just fall asleep on the boob and I could transfer her to her bouncer to sleep. When we went away they just slept in the bed with us. The one time we went away and had DD2 sleeping in one we just borrowed one but we could have hired one. Most places have that option.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I think I'll be glad I decided to get one. With DS I remember bringing his little Bob the Builder couch with us when we were staying over anywhere; he slept on that and we always said it was the best $40 we ever spent. I think the porta cot will be like that, only better!

@ WitWicky, I feel the same about change tables; I used mine with DS maybe a few times, but I gave it away as I tended just to use a blanket on the floor or even the bed to change him. DH did get a fancy one for me this time with a bath tub under the lid as well, so will see how we go with it. It's funny, you can spend a fortune on all these gadgets and sometimes going without works better!