+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lola77 is offline BH Advocate - Sydney: Northern Beaches
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's outrageous. Why should it be any riskier? If you don't have any ongoing medical issues, surely it's discrimination? How does the way the sperm met the egg make any difference?
    I'm outraged on your behalf!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We to had this drama in Nov last year when we travelled to Phuket. I was so up set. We have our private health with Mutual community who are now Bupa and when we put the forms in we told them it was an ivf pregnancy and the cust service rep said that won't be a drama. 4 days before we left we still hadn't heard anything so followed up and that's when they told us they could not cover me I was absolutely shattered. We ended up calling One Cover and it was all organised and paid for in under 5 minutes. So I would suggest to definitely give them a call. Good luck I hope you can get it all sorted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi bebe, another you may want to look at is southern cross travel insurance. I was recently in your position and trying to find a policy that would cover an ivf pregnancy too. Southern cross will cover preg up to 20 wks and does not exclude ivf pregs - no additional premium either. May be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

lola77 is offline BH Advocate - Sydney: Northern Beaches
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand that premiums are based on past risk, however the reasons for ART are so varied and the treatments so different that it seems unfair to treat everyone the same.

My obs often told me that the only difference between my pregnancy and a regular one was the conception. My pregnancy was probably lower risk than a lot of those conceived naturally.

It still smacks of discrimination to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Just thought I would mention (as I also had this problem) that I used Travel Insurance Direct. For a loading fee they cover ART pregnancies up to 26 weeks. (Same deal as 1Cover- single, uncomplicated.)

I was really peeved as I had an annual policy with Medibank Private travel insurance and they don't cover pregnancy abroad full stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all!

For anyone who comes across this thread, I went with CoverMore. They only charged an extra $76 premium for a 2 week trip and have good comprehensive cover for everythibg else.

In saying this...I still feel disgusted that as Lola said - how does how the sperm meet the egg matter. Anyways, it is what is is and I'm covered and off to plan my babymoon!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi guys

First I've had 3 ivf/Icsi kids so yes I share your sense of feeling disgust, but as a lawyer who has worked extensively in insurance I don't automatically agree that it's discrimination.

Insurance policies are risk based policies and the amount you pay and what you get for that payment is directly related to statistics which form the foundation of those policies. For whatever reason ivf pregnancies are seen by some insurers as higher risk. That might be bec overall ivf mums tend to be older, or any number of reasons that aren't actually bec of ivf but occur in ivf pregnancies. In the same way overweight people can be very healthy, they can have trouble getting insurance regardless of their individual health.

I don't want to anger anyone with my post but am just trying to explain it from the legal perspective. I certainly would never not tell the insurer a pregnancy was ivf as you may find the whole policy is voided.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm, so why do the grossly obese not get charged a premium on their travel insurance? Surly those fat sloths are more likely to have a heart attack or fall down a mountain that I will!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    They often can't get insurance. My point was that they might be fat but not a sloth but the insurer won't make an exception. Another example is that a person who is over 65 pays more than someone who is 20, regardless of how fit the older person is.

I don't make the rules just trying to explain them. And if you have enough relaxin in your system yes you might fall down a mountain too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    They often can't get insurance. My point was that they might be fat but not a sloth but the insurer won't make an exception. Another example is that a person who is over 65 pays more than someone who is 20, regardless of how fit the older person is.

I don't make the rules just trying to explain them. And if you have enough relaxin in your system yes you might fall down a mountain too.

Thank you so much for explaining this! I was trying to the other night

All policy exclusions and additional premiums are there based on past claims history.

I get grief about this 4 days a week at work (medical area for a travel insurance company). I must say pregnant women are the worst for it! Most of the time they CAN get cover, but have to pay additional. Yet there are people who can get NO cover what so ever due to their medical conditions of medications and they are easier to cope with than pregnant women!

ETA Yes I empathise but yelling and getting cranky with me won't change it. Unfortunately we only advise what the policy states.