+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    sab, I don't think you're an "unemployed bum" - if people ask just say "I have a DD who keeps me pretty busy". SAHMs still have to drop child/ren off, pack lunches, clean up after them, sports days, birthday parties, dinners, breakfasts etc.

Problem is, it's incredibly hard to find part-time work (when I searched anyway) and getting it is an issue as there's less positions.

SO you're considered a "lazy bum" if you stay at home while your little ones are at school OR you can work full-time and be completely burnt out by the end of the day and have less time.

You can't win!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    completely agree....i tend to think of the term 'unemployed' as someone who wants to work, but currently is unable to find a job and is living on unemployment benefits or savings.

so by my definition, you are a sahm. and i don't think the term bum comes into it at all.....that just makes me think of dole bludgers whose career it is to rort the system.
    Yes I was thinking after work yesterday that I want a full time, permanent job but have restrictions because of a school aged child with a disabilty who is in my ft care. Yet her father refuses to work despite not having time constraits like that, because he prefers to be on c'link payments and not pay cs for any of his kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yet her father refuses to work despite not having time constraits like that, because he prefers to be on c'link payments and not pay cs for any of his kids.

I think centrelink needs to revamp the benefits/child support system to be in line with other countries where it is deducted as a percentage from the benefit. it's appalling that some fathers (and i suppose some mothers out there too where the situation is reversed) refuse to work (or work and get paid cash) in order to avoid child support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a SAHM with 2 school age children and have only worked once when I was 19/20. I'm currently on disability pension benefits for the past year. I clean and do normal household duties. School drop off and pick up most days while i have the car, there dad does 2 days a week when my hubby is at morning shift ,help out at my sons class once a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I certainly have met SAHM's who I would consider bums, but there are also plenty who work very hard! We really need to re-define work so that it doesn't just include paid employment outside the home - I consider most working mums to be working two jobs... One at home, one at their place of employment. If you spend all your time at home sitting on your butt, mucking around online or watching tv then yes, you are a bum, however in my experience most SAHM's with school age kids are very involved in school and community groups, local charities etc.

To summarise, I think it just depends on how you spend your time. If you are being productive in some way, then this counts as work, whether or not you are getting paid for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Mum got very heavily involved with our school, after my Dad left. She had no work experience what so ever, and made our school a large part of her life.
    She started off getting involved with the School Fetes, Carols by Candlelight Nights and Trash and Treasures. Then she helped with Sports Day, and coached the school Netball, Volleyball and Rounders sports teams.
    She eventually joined the canteen, and was employed as the school Lollypop lady, and then employed at the school Before/After School Care program. She was at the school for almost 5yrs after all 3 of us left the school. (A total of 17yrs) And it was often joked by the school staff and parents, that they erect a brass statue in her honor lol.