+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Stay At Home Mum, or Unemployed Bum?

Are mums of school aged children who don't do any paid work outside the home stay at home mums, or simply unemployed?

Even though I have picked up a fair amount of casual work, I feel like an unemployed bum rather than a stay at home mum who works some casual shifts. I don't feel I have a right to call myself a stay at home mum during times of full unemployment.

What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely a stay at home mum, I suppose you could add looking for work, but I wouldn't.

Who cares what people think You do the best you can for your daughter and you are always looking for work opportunities. You sound far from a bum...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't see how you can class yourself as "an unemployed bum" when you are actively looking for work, but that is constained by your circumstances.

My mum didn't work at all until my brother and I finished school. I wouldn't describe her as unemployed as she wasn't looking for a job. In those days, she was just known as a "housewife", I guess. While, she wasn't unemployed, I think she was underutilised, particularly as we were older.

But, no, I would never refer to somebody who primarily cares for children as unemployed; I don't think it's the correct term.

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am probably classed as an unemployed bum... Fact is, I like being a stay at home mum, even though my kids r at school.

I can walk them to and from class, volunteer with reading etc.

I am available to pick them up if they go to sick bay, don't worry if they need a day off as they r sick.

I can go to their sports and swimming carnivals.

I do not want to work... My job is being a mum.

I have looked for work, but honestly, I worked for a bit a year ago, and my family suffered big time.

My boss at the time was not very child friendly which didn't help.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mystical mumma For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-02-2012),GothChick  (22-02-2012),heeeeerekittykitty  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a stay at home mother of a child that goes to school full time and I certainly dont class myself as a bum. So no, I dont think you are a bum.

I dont think mothers can really be bums, they have far too much to do, even if their kids do go to school.It's not like we are sat at home on the sofa all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A mum of school age kids still has a lot to do, all home duties and drop offs/pick ups. A lot of Mums also are very much involved in the school during school hours. also there are barely any between school hour jobs!!!

I wouldn't consider you or anyone else who stayed home with school children a bum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I prefer 'lady who lunches'. Or perhaps 'domestic goddess'.

Seriously though, don't let labels bother you. Being a SAHM is about more than contact hours with your child.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

AmberMama  (22-02-2012),~ElectricPink~  (23-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    It's not like we are sat at home on the sofa all day.
    That's how I spend 80% of my day most days lately, but being nearly 36 weeks pregnant, I'm so tired, heavy and sore that I don't care!!

OP, does it really matter what anyone else thinks? All these labels we give ourselves are just silly IMO.

I'm a SAHM. I love spending the day with DS. Other Mums either want to, or have to go to work. Some Mums will or want to work when their kids go to school, some don't. We are all just doing what is best for our families.

So IMO, no, you're not a bum and that thinking is something only you can change.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just having a down day. Running off 4 hours of sleep then worked in the Toddler room today, and I realised just how much dd and I missed our houseguests. They lived a block away, now they live 6 hours away, so yeah, will probably feel better when they get back. She brought Malibu yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just not sure where I fit with anything. I have always worked, often more than one job pre-motherhood, and I now don't know where I fit on here. SAHP? Working parent? Currently in between. Next term I will work from home, then if all goes well I will homeschool from term 3 while working from home. But until then, I don't really fit anywhere. Being a SAHM to me is being with a child, which I clearly am not for 6 hours a day.