+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When would you install new carpets - kids at what age?

We had cheap crappy cream carpets installed in our bedrooms just before we bought it.

My hubby won't do tiles or wood in the bedrooms (side question - who has and loves wooden floors in bedrooms). So I am stuck with carpet which is filthy and gross, buT the upside is ds1 can run around nappy free, drawing on it with crayons and I can laugh at the accidents rather than cry (not a common event but you know what I mean)

So my question is, at what age would you 'trust' your kids not to wreck nice new carpets. It seems stupid to install new nice ones just to be trashed, even if they are superior in their stain resistance etc and I don't want to turn into an overprotective-carpet obsessed mum. Option b is install cheap n nasty ones with a view to replacing them in five to eight years (these ones are 8yr old). Option c is love what I have for a few more years/until they drive me insane.

what is everyone's thoughts?
    Last edited by mum2one99; 18-03-2012 at 22:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i have timber floors in bedrooms and love love love

id say ten? lol

id just buy a wet and dry vax for now. i have one its awesome. you'd be surprised how clean they come up. i used to them twice a year but now have no carpet at all.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysmurf For This Useful Post:

GlitterFaerie  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i dislike wooden floorboards in bedrooms as I think they are dust magnets, esp. under the bed, behind the chests of drawers etc.

I'd be concerned about your kiddies thinking it's ok to draw all over carpets ... what happens when they go to preschool/playgroup/friends house whatever ... a bit of confusion there since they aren't allowed to draw on the carpets?

I'd replace them with something you'd expect to last 8-10 years. You could always get a big enough mat made up to cover the exposed areas of the bedroom while your children are young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am in the process of ripping up our carpets as my son has trashed them with food stains (they are 20yo plus type carpet anyway).

He's 3, and he still drops food and drinks on the floor, so it's great having boards in living areas.

I will probably end up with boards in the bedrooms as well, but the bedroom carpet doesn't get as damaged as the living room. The only problem we had is when my son splattered putty all over our bedroom.

The weeing when toilet training is a problem though. Maybe replace the bedroom carpets when your kids are toilet trained, so after 3?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol you have the same amount of dust whether you have carpet or hard floors... You just can't see it on carpet!!

I have asthma so we have varnished cork tiles in out kids bedrooms, timber in most our house & our room and one carpeted in lounge. Worst mistake ever... Our carpet is discusting!!! I hate it wish we has gone with timber or cork. It's filthy and I have to wash with carpet cleaner ever 3 months.

Kids rooms however are super clean. Any dust gets vacced up and I can see it so I suck it! Any spills or accidents easily wiped up.

As for when we would replace carpet either just before we sell and move out or when the kids move out ( neighbors 17 yr old daughter just spilt nailpolish on her bedroom carpet)

Though ours is so bad I may do it later in the year when bub starts crawling but I'll expect it to be gross again within a few years am wondering now whether we should just spend the extra & get cork in there to with a floor mat.
    xx

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Mum of 4yr boy, nearly 3yr boy & last but not least 5 month girl.

Guest Guest
    I'm doing floorboards in our new house, this one has floorboards but carpet in the bedrooms and it's so hard to clean and maintain. I really don't get carpet stupidest building material ever, it feels nice on your feet but it's just the worst to keep clean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would probably just replace them when they needed it but just with builders carpet so that it's not a huge expense and then get a better quality carpet when the kids are older and not as likely to damage them. Just use a good underlay with the builders carpet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That depends on the child. My dd has never been problematic with carpets or rugs, but I got a dog nearly 3 years ago and what he didn't eat he would pee on, so no more for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we built/bought our house last year, we decided we didnt want any flooring put in as we'd do it ourselves.

We have a two storey so upstairs is purely for sleeping. We decided on a black charcoal colour through out the second storey. Apart from the bathroom obviously. It wasnt the expensive stuff but is hard wearing and looks great.

But I was very strict on having carpet in our bedrooms. It doesnt feel "cosy" to have wood and in the winter getting of bed onto carpet makes it feel warmer.
    Plus the first floor is wooden all through and it is so hard to keep clean!

Can you keep the kids of the bedrooms while eating and drinking etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We also had crappy cream carpets when we moved in here. The people before us also had two sons and the carpets weren't great then... Another 8 years and our two kids had them looking totally grotty!
    So we replaced them last week (we only have carpet in the bedrooms, rest of the house is lovely easy-clean cork). My boys are 3 and almost 5
    We didn't go with super special carpet, just average grey stuff as we plan to move in 2-3 years and possibly make this house a rental.

But wow, it has made the bedrooms look a 100 times better