+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default From co sleeping to own bedroom- tips

Ok so ds is 17 months old and we have co slept pretty much since birth. No. 2 is due in September and really think its time he slept in his own room. He is becoming an inconsiderate bed partner and I am also waking him up when I move. I am getting him a nice bed and doing his room up as a jungle theme so it's some thing special for him. I plan on moving him in there for day sleeps first for a while and then try the night sleeps. Would love some advise/tips for when I move him in there at night as I think I will have a battle on my hands! Thanks =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you not move him to a mattress on the floor in your room first?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like your doing everything right. Maybe do the day sleep in his room for a little while and then start the night sleeps in there once he is comfortable. Maybe a special night light might help and reading a special book that he borrows for the library before bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved both our boys into their own rooms at a similar age. I would just go and lay next to them when they woke then sneak out. It took a few weeks but they never got particularly upset and if they really wanted to come back to the big bed for a night, that was fine with me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    dd moved from our bed to a side car cot and then into her own bed in her room.

before the big move, we spent time during the day playing in her room, preparing the bed, talking about how exciting it was.

we have a chair next the bed where dh or i sit while she goes to sleep. dh has also spent a few nights bed sharing with dd in her bed when she has been unsettled.

the actual move when so much better than i thought it would, and i think it was because dd was ready. she had got used to having her own bedspace, wasn't feeding overnight and was excited about her new bed.

she still visits sometimes, and every morning comes in for cuddles.

dh had some time off work when dd moved in to her room, and so we decided that we would spend that time in getting her settled.

our plan for the 1st night was that if she woke we would take her back to her room up until 12. after this she could stay with us if she wanted to. the next night we would extend it an hour or 2. having 'rules' decided beforehand meant that we wouldn't have to work things out in the middle of the night if we were tired (and irritable).

however, the first night she slept in her own room the first wake up was at 3am , and within a week she was quite happy in her room. i think she sleeps better in there than she was sleeping in with us towards the end.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD is 2.5 and I dot think she will ever leave I actually like it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies ladies. Waterlily I really like it too . It will actually be kinda sad not to have my little bed partner snuggling me all night especially when DP is away at work but I dont think it will be very comfortable in September with 4 of us in there He will always be welcome for morning cuddles though.

I have tried the matress on the floor but find I still wake him up when I move and he just ends up straight back in my bed coz its just there.

Bubbles how old was your LO when you moved her into her own room? The bed i am getting has a trundle so I might just sleep in his room for the first week.

Also just wondering what time your LO's bed times are?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy View Post
    Bubbles how old was your LO when you moved her into her own room? The bed i am getting has a trundle so I might just sleep in his room for the first week.

Also just wondering what time your LO's bed times are?
    She was 18 months old when she moved into her own room. She started sleeping in the side car cot at 15 months.

If you slept in the trundle, do you think your LO would climb in with you?

Maybe keep the trundle for if you are needed, but not definitely plan to stay in there for a week. Otherwise, you may just be changing from one room to the next. Just an idea.