+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh this a thread I do belong in

I just asked this over in the school section but I will ask here as well. I have a DS4 (just turned) and we are having issues at Kindy. He is really active, finds it hard to control his outburts and just wants to play and can have some attitude. He is alot better behaved at home, but I know he has all of my attention. The health nurse got me to complete a 4yr old ages and stages questioniarre at home and he passed at fine (as in, there is no concern for his behaviour). The MCHN has seen him a fair bit and isnt concerned but the teacher is. We are having issues with his teacher but I am so embarrased when I pick him up and I get told all things he has 'done' that day.

I feel very alone in this matter. Has anyone else gone through it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! How have I never found this thread before!? Haven't read all the replies as yet but posting/subscribing so that I can come back to it later today (can hear my little one stirring from her morning nap)

I am the mother of a 2 year old very spirited toddler. She is the most loving, funny, outgoing child but she is "more" in personality in every way! I have said to people in the past that we began the terrible 2's at 10 months old, but really it isn't just the tantrums and meltdowns its the fierce independence and the absolute lack of fear of anything that she has. I certainly learnt my lesson in where we can go for playdates recently when a friend invited us to the local shopping centre for a quick coffee and when I said I didnt think it would be all that suitable she convinced me with a "but if you bring some crayons for her she should be fine" 10 mins later while the other 2 kids we were with happily drew we had been through a pack of crayons and drawing, a bowl of food, a couple of books read, and played with our toy and gone into a screaming meltdown before I had half drunk a coffee. Playground catch-ups it is from now on :P

Anyway I apologise if someone has already posted about this (promise I will come back and read all soon) but I have 2 questions - has anyone gone additive/preservative free in their diets and has it helped? And also has anyone heard of the term impulse control and does your child have it? We currently have a parenting support person come out once a week supposedly to give me behavioural strategies to put in place. But so far she has come out and said I really need to get my daughter seen to in case its ADHD (I didnt realise they looked at things like this so young!) and has given me contacts for behavioural psychologists and even at the hospital I had to take her to this week after a fall the dr mentioned she seems to have no impulse control. Its quite overwhelming - still not sure if this is just a normal spirited toddler thing?! When I say impulse control I mean its like she cant stop herself doing things even after being told no or after hurting herself. She fell off a slide last week (hence the trip to hospital - it was a decent fall) but 20 secs after the fall she was back on it again - she just has no fear, it doesnt seem to scare her at all. Or the time she accidentally quickly touched our oven and burnt her finger but a minute later she was back trying to touch it again! She knows its hot and will tell you so - but just cant stop herself doing it. Anyone else get this? Ours house is pretty crazily babyproofed right now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My child has no impulse control. We rarely buy any food with numbers, and when we di it really makes no difference but I just don't like numbers so avoid them. She is gf/cf because she is a caseine sensive, lactose intolerant coeliac child, but it has made very little difference to behaviour so if she could have them she would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=erinn;6521812]Wow! How have I never found this thread before!? Haven't read all the replies as yet but posting/subscribing so that I can come back to it later today (can hear my little one stirring from her morning nap)

I am the mother of a 2 year old very spirited toddler. She is the most loving, funny, outgoing child but she is "more" in personality in every way! I have said to people in the past that we began the terrible 2's at 10 months old, but really it isn't just the tantrums and meltdowns its the fierce independence and the absolute lack of fear of anything that she has. I certainly learnt my lesson in where we can go for playdates recently when a friend invited us to the local shopping centre for a quick coffee and when I said I didnt think it would be all that suitable she convinced me with a "but if you bring some crayons for her she should be fine" 10 mins later while the other 2 kids we were with happily drew we had been through a pack of crayons and drawing, a bowl of food, a couple of books read, and played with our toy and gone into a screaming meltdown before I had half drunk a coffee. Playground catch-ups it is from now on :P

Anyway I apologise if someone has already posted about this (promise I will come back and read all soon) but I have 2 questions - has anyone gone additive/preservative free in their diets and has it helped?

Hi. We are day 2 on the 'failsafe diet' (eliminating certain preservatives, colours, flavours, additives amongst other things.) My dd has been recently diagnosed ADHD and this has been recommended by her paed as first step. Will let you know how it goes, and if it makes a difference!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to maddysmama For This Useful Post:

erinn  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Been a bit quiet in here, how is everyone coping?
    Having been away with DS at Tresillian last week tho wek DD is a nightmare... Punishing me... Being very physical towards DS and very affectionate ( with an undertone of anger) towards me...(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing for when i find my glassea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we had the 2 year assessment for my daughter last week - "she is very easily distracted, isn't she?" i think we will be hearing that a lot.

however, i also had a family engagement party, and while there were a few kids there, my daughter was the life of the party . so, sometimes it is rewarding having the spirited kid. let's just hope she can hold it together for flowergirl mode next year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Erinn - when my ds was 14 months his behaviour would reduce me to tears, violent tantrums, throwing things etc. we started failsafe and his behaviours improved without figuring out the trigger. Then at 17 months he was unwell and hubby bought a pack of heinz 1-3 year old strawberry bran bars and he went mental! The old crazy boy was back. It was very scary something like that could have such a big impact. He can't have chocolate or too many bananas, and we limit processed foods and that seems to keep him manageable

We took him to the paed a few weeks ago, she basically said he is a very sensitive, highly intelligent little guy. Not on the autism spectrum, pretty much just said he's spirited and could possibly benefit from some occupational therapy. since starting day care again he seems to be better again so maybe he's just bored. I'm also trying to be more patient and listen to what he needs from me

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

erinn  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting Pregnor! And MaddysMama I would love if you would share how you go on the Failsafe diet. The reason I asked is a few people suggested to me that Food Additives/intolerances could be an issue. I bought/borrowed a few books related to the issue, Fed Up and Additive Alert and thought it might be worth a shot. I thought we ate quite well, we really dont have much junky stuff or so I thought but on a good look through our cupboards there is a lot of things we eat with the "bad" additives in them. I decided not to do the whole elimination diet at this stage but just cut out the worst ones out of all our diets, thinking even if it didnt help the behaviour we would all be healthier for it. We've been doing that for 2 weeks now and while probably haven't stuck to it super strict we have lost all the deli meat, changed our bread, marg and toast spreads, changed our cereal, bought organic meat or from our butcher (he doesnt use preservatives) and its curious that this second week has been the best week behaviour wise by far that I have had with my daughter for a long time! Coincidence?! I'm not sure - I guess we'll keep going and see how things go....

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also started daycare for the first time this week so I have asked them to keep me updated on her behaviour so I can see what its like away from me, or to see whether perhaps getting a bit more mental stimulation/more social interaction might help the behaviour too
    Last edited by erinn; 25-04-2012 at 17:12.