+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default S**tty cervix

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. I've been a bit quiet as of late due to a 2 week stay in hospital as my cervix is 5mm long and funnelling. I am now home on bedrest as nothing as happened yet (thank god), am currently 26w 1d. I am interested to hear of anyone else's story that has been in a similar situation, and how long they went for with a short cervix and when they went into labour. I am on progesterone and have had steroid shots for bubs lungs.
    xx
    Loz.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I can't help with the long term outcome, as I am still on bedrest myself.

I was diagnosed with "incompetent cervix" at 22 + 3. Mine had gone down to .6mm, and my membranes are "bulging". I had another scan at 26 weeks, and it had gained a little back, and was measured at .8mm.

I am now 27 + 5 and still in hospital on bed rest and will be until at least 32 weeks. My OB was suggesting that after 32 weeks, I could go home and not have to be on strict bed rest anymore. Time will tell.

I just wanted to reply to tell you you're not alone, I hope all goes well for you, and that your cervix stays stable. Best of luck with your journey, it's definitely not ideal, but the alternative is just too horrible to even think about.

xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry cant help much but I'm very interested in this topic as well. I hope you guys get to 30wks plus, I'm impressed how far you both have gotten on bedrest, you carry on.

Did either of you ladies have any symptoms with your changes with your cervix? and how did you know/suspect you where funneling (besides with ultrasound)?

I on the other hand last time went 2 days on 3mm, so not great but this time I'm going well (I have 3.1cm!), but i haven't hit 20wks yet which is when I started changing last preg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to wish luck to you ladies, I hope ur bubs stay snug for a the duration of your pregnancy. please keep us updated.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought about whether or not to post, I'm not sure if this is helpful, I apologise if its not. I made it to 31 weeks! My story has a few factors that contributed to this.

It was at my 19 week scan that they discovered my shortened cervix. It was .8 cm, funnelled with bulging membranes. It was a twin pregnancy, the bubs were measuring small and there was evidence of infection.

I had a stitch put in my cervix, and it was discovered that I was 1 cm dilated. He felt that I would most likely go into labor that weekend dispite the stitch. I did not! I was in hospital, flat on my back until 22 weeks, and then allowed up for a total of an hour a day. My cervix closed to 1.8 (above the stitch).

Then back on bed rest at 26 weeks ( this time allowed to sit up if I wasn't having a tightening) when I went into preterm labor, my cervix shortened to the stitch, and then continued to have tightenings with a couple of trips to the labor ward , until my membranes broke at 31 weeks (4days before my booked c-section as one of the bubs stopped growing at 28 weeks).

My twin girls will be six months old in Friday!
    Last edited by speckled; 23-02-2012 at 00:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wanted to say good luck too. This is my second biggest fear (my first obviously not finding out early enough!) and I'm just waiting to see how my length is going next week at my nineteen week scan.

It's amazing how much I care about the women on bubhub! Wish I could send you both care packages to keep you occupied for the next few weeks.

Hugs, and all my prayers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for the late reply ladies, I'm still cooking (30+4) and am now on bed rest at home. Hopefully I can go to at least 34 weeks.

The symptoms that I had was a "feeling" that something wasn't right, and if I sat for a long time, I would feel a lot of pressure (even as early as 19 weeks). I couldn't put my finger on It exactly, just things weren't adding up. I insisted on a scan, and lucky I did!

Thanks for the well wishes xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shumwah For This Useful Post:

Bonbonn  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying, Im glad you have gotten this far!

Yeah I got lots of pressure with my 2nd preg, i thought it was normal to have more pressure as it was my 2nd preg. I also had lots of BH from before 20 wks, which my Ob knew about but on U/S my cervix was fine, then it funnel suddenly. This preg I still get the pressure feeling but my stitch is holding well and my cervix is stable at 3ish cm, so we wait and see, although I haven't got pasted 23wks when we discovered I was funneling last preg yet.

Good luck with the rest of your bed rest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought I would update everyone as to the outcome of my pregnancy.

Bubs ended up growth restricted, and was delivered via emergency Caesarian at 34 + 5. She was admitted into special care nursery and we took her home at just over 37 weeks. She's going very well and is now seven weeks old.

I stayed in bed until 32 weeks, and then started to slowly make my way around the house and for short walks in the backyard.

The night before the Caesarian my OB did an examination of the cervix, and it was low and closed (crazy hey!?), so I was very lucky that despite being nearly 100% effaced, the cervix never actually opened. Thank God, I know how lucky I was to have dodged that bullet!

My best wishes to you all, I hope you're going well

xxx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shumwah For This Useful Post:

Artful  (03-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear she is doing well, exact same thing happened with me (with my first pregnancy) and she was born by emergency c-section at the exact same time! And she was growth restricted too. Congratulations! I am now pregnant again and my cervix is 2.5cm at 12 weeks pregnant, argh.