+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Early rising toddlers - when do you put them down for nap?

So awake before 5am...again!

Tell me, for your early rising toddler who are still having a nap a day - when do you put them down for a nap?

DD can't cope much past 12, so usually I put her down at 11am, she has 1 hour, maybe 1 1/2 on a very rare day.

So then it's usually around 7/730 before she sleeps again, so its very long gaps between sleeps and not great naps either...

Should I put her down later - hoping for a longer nap, then it will be closer to dinner time when she wakes up?

What do you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD wakes at 5-6 and I put her down for a nap between 8-12 lol or really depends on what we have to do (have 2 morning playgroups a week) by 12 she is crashing so bad.

Then she goes to be at 6-7.

If I put DD down for a later nap she would just go to be later but still get up early (tried it and failed!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD toddler (18mth) wakes early too, 5am is the norm here! On a rare occasion it's 5.30am wake up & I'm jumping for joy if that happens.

I put her down for a lunch nap early about 11-11.30am. My DD is like yours she is knackered by that time. She sleeps anything from 1-2.5hrs there is no pattern to it. From what I've read a lunch nap duration of anything from 1hr up to 3hrs is quite normal.

If my DDs lunch nap is the shorter version (1-1.5hrs) I then put her to bed at night by 6pm at the latest. I sometimes prefer that anyway, as I get more time just hubby & me if she's in bed by 6pm. She then sleeps through until her normal early wake up.

How old is your toddler? Is she generally happy when awake? If she's happy & seems content then she is getting the right sleep. If she's grizzly try gradually moving her bedtime a bit earlier at night.

It's hard isn't it getting up early each morn? Although I'm a morning person 5am is still early early!! I'm hoping it will change one day (even if I have to wait until she is a teenager who loves sleeping in!!....ha ha).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to poppy10 For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 2.8 years old! She doesn't work well without a day nap and her sleep is stuffed if I don't give her one.

It takes her 1 hour without fail and never less (unless she's not had a sleep) as she has milk, and then takes the rest of the time to wind down.

This never bothered me, but I also have a newborn!!! So 6 is her bed time too! So then sometimes the toddler is delayed, pushing bed later and she still wakes up early!

I think I may stick to the lunch time nap and not drag it out, as by then I'm desperate for her to sleep too..

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 2yrs 4months and usually wakes between 7 and 7.30am and I put her down for her nap (when she has one) at about 2pm. Occasionally, like today for instance, she wakes at 5am, on those days I put her down after lunch (12.30-1pm-ish) and she will sleep somewhere between 1.5 to 3 hours. On any day if she hasn't slept by 3pm I push to keep her awake until bedtime, about 7.30pm, otherwise she'll refuse to sleep until 10pm!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my bub 15-18mths was getting up 5/5.30 am and I was stretching her out to midday for a nap. She would pass out for 3hrs easily and back in bed by 7/7.30pm.

My policy for her now at 18mths is 6hrs up then nap 2hrs then 6hrs after wake up is bed. It fluctuates depending on how the day has started. A fluid time might be better for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (24-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is only 13mo so younger than your DD and is just transitioning to one nap a day. Doesn't matter what time I put him down at night he wakes 5am. He was sleeping 10-12 and then totally overtired at night because he won't go down for another nap. Have today decided to push his nap out later, and he slept 11-2.

So, the point of my story is that if you do push your toddler out to midday, she might sleep longer than an hour and not be overtired at night. I'm also hoping it might re-jig something and stop these stupid morning wakeups!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read in the dream baby guide that babies with a low sleep requirement (i.e. Mine, 3hr naps are unheard of) will rise early if they have their nap too early the day before. The author (Sheyne Rowley) suggests not putting them down before 12pm. I started this (12pm naps) and so far so good! Naps got longer and the wake ups in the 5's stopped (except when sick). It's the best thing I got out of that massive book. At first I had to stretch him out but doing a lot of low activity stuff like shopping to get him to make it to 12 but he got used to it quickly and it works great now. DS is 15 months btw and has been doing this since 12-13 months.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's just such a loooong day if she doesn't nap earlier! :/

Mind you I've had to put her down later while tending to my youngest and I did notice she slept a bit longer... I may try it again today...

Thanks for that hint!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well he woke at 4.40 this morning so maybe my plan isn't such a great idea after all!