+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    DS1 is spirited. Taking him anywhere is a nightmare - it's probably my child you are hearing screaming. We have had a couple of good trips here and there, but it's mostly a drama.
    Same in our house makes for stressful unhappy times as sometimes we just have to bring them to the shops. I do my best with DD but also I try to avoid putting her into situations she will be unhappy in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I only really go grocery shopping with the kids. Anything else, I go alone.

My son loves sitting in the trolley and my daughter helps me put things in the trolley. They are both really well behaved at the shops. My son had his first public tantrum the other day while I was getting served at woolworths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are mostly ok to shop - but I hardly ever shop. Tbh the idea of walking around looking at stuff with two little tackers in tow just isn't my idea of a fun thing to do. I get my groceries delivered so our few adventures to the supermarket/fruit market/butcher are short and fun. If I have to buy something in particular, or if we are going as a treat for the kids they are pretty good, they are learning that just randomly asking for stuff isn't going to work - we go in get what we've come for, maybe have a cino/milkshake and then leave. When they play up I stop shopping, calm them down and then continue on or go home - I'm not a fan of dragging screaming kids through shop after shop. No clothes/stuff/shoes whatever are that important to me that I'd put myself thru that!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

MoonMoon  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS2 is a freakin'.nightmare. NIGHTMARE.
    I avoid taking him anywhere at all costs.
    He is a tough gig.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post

If I'm in a hurry and forget to do that, then they can be swayed to the dark side by those bloody $2 rides. I HATE those things! They run to them, climb on and refuse to leave. So when I pick one up, the screaming begins! I cannot stress how much I hate those machines! Turns my well behaving children into nightmares!!

DS who is 2 has his moments. The other day he was sitting in the trolley and as he was strapped in and couldn't go anywhere, he decided to start taking his clothes off instead! On good days, he charms every female in sight, flutters his lashes, cheesy grin, waves and says hello/bye bye.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not usually one to roll my eyes at childless/one child people - but this is one of the topics that really truly irks me.

shopping centres are bright, and overstimulating (which affects my own ASD traits if i'm not in a good headspace to begin with) - so the fact that Mr 6 has SPD and suspected ASD, and Miss 2 is 2years old and very active anyway - well shopping centres is where they are most likely to skitz out.

So while i frequently have well behaved children (usually because i'm literally begged my BIL to look after mr 6 for the hour or two i'll be gone), and then just open every single snack/dried fruit/yogurt packet in my trolley to keep the 2 year old entertained - But when she's full or bored, then the screeching starts - and
    then i tend to just ignore them being frustrating. If it bothers someone else...well, DILLIGAF?

Thanks
    Reviews
    100% fabulous..we have a ball together ..she really is a very easy 3 year old...always has been!! Very lucky....I know!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I shop with all mine all the time. I have one ASD and one with adhd and one suspected with adhd.

I have good days and I have bad days. I shop with the mindset of I mind my own business and except everyone else to too.

My way of dealing with a tantruming child is simply to state to them that they can scream the place down if they so choose but they are not getting XYZ because my no is no. I just choose to ignore the tantrum. It works great for me. They learn very quickly that it just doesn't work to scream or whinge. They do need reminders of course after all they are children. If it inconvenience another shopper I am sorry. Life is just like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happily, my kids have always been really good at the shops. I think there have been three occasions where it was awful, all of which being when I broke my ONLY-shop-in-the-morning rule
    We've always enjoyed food shopping as a time to get out of the house, and talk about new things...

Now DS1 is in full-time school, I only have my 3yo to shop with and that is easy.

I certainly don't judge the tantrum-chucking kids in shops, I know how lucky I am!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ahh my DS1 was at kindy today so the double pram with DD and DS2 gave me a very easy quick trip into Coles where I came across an almost 2 year old holding an Easter bunny eating it through the foil the poor unsuspecting mother was reading shampoo bottle labels, she was mortified when I guided him to her but I quickly reassured her that I have btdt! We bumped into each other agin and she was trying to convince him to get in the trolly and she commented that DS2 was sitting so nicely I laughed and said its only because he is eating an iced chocolate donut! She said "oh god why do I always forget the food bribery trick"