+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My almost 4yo DS is quite well behaved, he is just very hyperactive and never stops. Not naughty, per say. I will put him on the floor anywhere in a shop and time him for 3 mins while he sits there. It is embarassing for 3 mins but much better than a screaming reckless child for 30mins!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is coming up for 20mths and so far is great to go shopping with.

I take her to a couple of different shopping malls during the week, and at one I will spend about 4 hours there (having lunch/ coffee too). She has a great time smiling and waving at everyone, and commenting on everything she sees.

She sits in the pram for most of it, but toward the end I let her have a play in one of the play centre areas, and then walk with her (holding my hand) until it's time to go.

No tantrums yet, but she is only young so I await that day...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My kids are generally quite well behaved, but noisy. DS1 who is almost 4 is very energetic and skips and bounces everywhere! DS2 who is 20 months is a yeller lol.

I parent the same way in the shops that I do at home, older DS gets a warning, then if he misbehaves again its a time out.

Ive copped stares, dirty looks and harsh comments for giving him a time out in public. But its either a time out for 3 minutes or the behaviour gets worse and worse sometimes. I believe my children deserve for me to be consistant so they dont get confused etc so screw what people say and the dirty looks I say.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

threechooks  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are Shocking.
    Every trip ends with someone Crying (usually Me). It is a nightmare.
    Mostly I ignore their behaviors and try to Get the job done. Honestly we just have to much to do, and I totally get why they are over stimulated and over whelmed - I am too!
    Really I think everyone has different kids, and mine take after both parents in hating shipping and busy places. So please don't judge me if I Go to your centre! They are normally pretty well behaved, just not at the shops

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to time it perfectly, and I have to get in and out as soon as possible. No time to window shop. Once DD is out of the pram, she will not go back in. She now screams if I put her in a baby carrier. She is 13 months and has been walking for 4 months, so she just wants to get down and walk. Fair enough except she has no sense of danger and thinks being chased is flipping hillarious. Plus, she's tiny. People don't see her.
    DS is 3 and he is pretty good as long as we don't stay too long, and as long as he can hide out in the storage compartment of the pram.
    Food helps. But not healthy food. No, no! Popcorn and hot chips are DD's currency. DS prefers something sweet.
    I hate taking DD shopping. I used to hate taking DS too as he was the same as DD, but he has outgrown that mostly now (except for occasional meltdown), so I don't mind taking him now. I figure 1/2 ain't bad.
    I just leave if it gets too much, or go into the parent's room for a break and let the little one wander around.
    Last edited by Mrs Molly Coddle; 22-02-2012 at 07:35.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well back when i had 1 it was easy, a joy even.
    Then i had another child and my first turned 3 - it's not easy anymore. It varies from not too bad to a total nightmare when i take them out in public. The amount of times i've had to carry my children out, while they kick and scream, is embarrassing - i've ended up in tears multiple times.
    I do my best to make it as smooth as possible, i try to time it as well as i can, i have 'tricks' which help and i tend to do more frequent small shops rather than big ones to lessen to time out and the potential for a melt down. Still sometimes it's not enough and it turns into a nightmare - the dirty looks and head shakes i get do not help things at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (22-02-2012)

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on the day , my oldest DS who's 2 can be an absolute nightmare as he wants to go everywhere BUT inside the shopping centre ( eg- exploring the car park , walking around outside ) so the tantrum had often begun before I'm even in the door .

However the last two times I have given him a lolly pop , allowed him to walk right beside me and even though I literally said one million times "follow mum" and shopping took us triple the amount of time I got it done . Every week I dread thinking how I'm going to get my shopping and errands done but I have no choice , I have no one to mind my kids , they are with me everywhere I go .

DD is now beginning to carry on abit in the pram or trolley but usually if I give her food she's happy as this girl is a real little piggy !

Once the lollipop phase wears off though , and it will , I'm screwed .

I try to distract , calm them down with food and drink bribes and worse care scenario I have literally turned around lefty shopping or left a queue if it's gotten bad and left thinking I'll try again tomorrow . And I don't give a stuff what people think , the looks actually annoy me most from other parents though, I mean come on , we are all parents , some understanding wouldn't go astray .

Really , who can blame children , I don't blame my kids one little bit when they carry on , like they want to be stuck in a trolley or pram when there's a whole world out there to explore , everywhere they look there is exciting appealing overload .

With just one child on god it was a piece of cake for me . Two is now a juggle . When I see mums with more than two I think they are incredible !!!

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -2 years 
    DD - 10 months 💜

Thanks
    Reviews
    ds is 21 months, he kicks, he screams, he runs off squeeling like he's having a turn on the best ride ever,
    in the trolley i have to park in the middle of the aisle (and cop dirtu looks From other shoppers) or else he pulls stuff off shelves,

he's generally a good kid with lovely manners but shopping turns him crazy,

i ignore the sooking, i allow him to sit and play with the 4$ toy placed 'conveniantly' in reach,
    9 / 10 times i buy the thing for him.

chances are at some point while shopping ds will have a screaming fit,

tbh i no longer care what others thinl he's 21 months and if they think they'd do better theyre more than welcome to try

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 year old DS is a nightmare to take out to the shops, my appointments etc, most public places...therefore, I don't take him anywhere I don't have to any more. I do the shopping when he's at daycare or he stays with his dad when I do the shopping at night.

I love grocery shopping now - it's a nice bit of me time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Mine is pretty good & I thank my lucky stars.

He's been coming to all my midwife appointments too & waits up to 2 hours in the waiting room with me & is a freaking angel. Yes he runs around a bit, but I think he's incredibly patient <3