+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Sort of spin off - getting your license

I've seen a few replies in another thread about people passing all different tests for red Ps, green Ps and full license and an wondering if someone can ease my curiosity. What tests are they? Practical, computer simulation, theory or what?

I'm in WA and got my red Ps recently. Over here there are no more tests that I am aware of :/ after the first 6mnths on red Ps I am then automatically on green Ps for 1.5yrs (2yrs total on p plates) and after that two years I have my full license.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in Vic and once you have your license it's automatic to green after 12 months, then automatic to full license after 2 years. So your on your on P's till 22 if you get your license straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ive assumed, possibly incorrectly, that red Ps are like the second phase Ls we have here in WA, then when they get their hours they go onto green Ps.
    So there they have Ls, then prac test to get onto red Ps, then Green Ps after they completed their log book.
    Here we have Ls then prac test to get onto second phase Ls, then red Ps once you do your hours, then green Ps after your 6 months on red.
    Does that make much sense? Lol. I could be wrong, but that's kind of what I have established over time as to how it works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In NSW you take a computer test for L's. Have to complete 120 hours of driving and hold for a year. Then practical driving test for red P's. Hold this for another year. Then a hazard perception computer test for green P's. Hold this for two years. Finally a computer test like both previous ones combined for full licence. If you start as soon as you turn 16, you're 20 when you're eligible for you're full licence.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Seems to be different everywhere. As far as I was aware here in Vic there are no other tests once you get onto red p's, just thought it automatically goes onto green p's after 12 months, full licence 24 months after that etc.

I'm going for my red p's tomorrow. I didn't have to do 120 hours because I'm 25 (but I've probably done more than half of that anyway, I just don't have a log book). I had to do a hazards test (computer test) a few weeks ago before being able to go for my drive test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In QLD, written test for l's, I had to hold my l's for 12mths and log 100hrs of driving. Then take a driving test for red p's then hold red p's for 12mths then take an online safety test for green p's and hold them for 2years. Happy to say I'm on opens now feels like yesterday I was so happy to pass :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had my licence nearly 15 years now, but when I got mine in Qld there was the written test done at the police station and 16.5 was the age for that, then after 6 months of Learners, at 17, there was a practical test then onto Provisional. I can't remember how long for, but when I went onto my Open licence I just had to get another photo taken and have my licence reprinted. No other test, no different Ps, no minimum hours on Ls. L plates were optional and P lates were unheard of. And now I feel really old lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    in qld there's a learners test on paper when you turn 16! was easy then a driving test to get to red ps
    then your on red for a year and thn fo an online hazard perception test to go to green ps which again was simple and green ps for 2 Yeats. no test to get to opens

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Victorian laws have changed recently.
    If you get your red P's as soon as you turn 18 you stay on them for 1 year, then you go onto your green P's automatically when you turn 19 (if your driving record is good for a continuous 12 months) until you're 22. To get your red P's you do a hazard perception test, an eyesight test, and a driving test, then that's the only test you do. (excluding the written test and eyesight test you did to get your L's)

So green P's are 3 years now, and you're on your P's for a total of 4 years now instead of 3. My brother is 22 in September, and he comes off his P's then.
    Passenger restrictions apply when you're on your red P's, but are lifted once you go onto your green P's. On your red P's you can't tow a trailer (unless it's for work purposes), but you can on your green P's. You also can't use a hands-free mobile on your red P's but you can on your green P's.
    Mind you, if a person is over 21 when they get their P's they skip red P's and go straight to green P's
    Last edited by Berrie; 22-02-2012 at 11:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In tas you do one test or your red Ps then you show them for 1 year don't show them the second year then full license.

So we only have one driving test.