+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I want to sling my sling! grrrrrr!

It's that evening time, where bub is totally unsettled and nothing works. Every night same thing. For a period of 2 or 3 or 4 hours this goes on. It's exhausting. And how I imagine my sling would help me if only I could master the flamin' art of it! I've watched videos over and over and when I go to do it I stuff it up every time (trying on and off for weeks now). I don't see what I am doing is any different to the people in the videos. It's a ring sling and I am so frustated.

I have carriers but bub gets very upset in these during this unsettled period. The sling seems to be my only hope.

Any tips or advice from the amazing people out there who have mastered ring slings? How did you ever learn it? I have all new respect for ring sling wearers now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey! Aww sounds like you have had some rough evenings we call it arsenic hour!

Ok I have a jazzy sling which is same as a ring sling except there is no ring. It's sewn up and non adjustable. Hubby and I are similar build so this one suits us. But I imagine the principle is the same.

First I would do some practise runs during day when bub is happy, fed and calm. I think you would need to play around abit with the ring to get position and size sorted. Then once you have it leave it in and just slip it over your head.

Then it's just a matter of slipping bub in and re adjusting bub till you are both comfy. I used to often put him in and fiddle and pull and re adjust him with neither of us comfy. Some times it's easier to take them out and re adjust the sling and start again.

It really is trial and error. But when bub is upset prob not best time to introduce it. And some nights my bub is upset and that's that and I just use it with her stretching against it with her legs and crying whilst I rock her round the house, just to take the weight off and have a hand free (to bang my head in frustration? Lol)

So keep trying it. I'm on bub 3 and I love mine. The one thing I would not change, upgrade or do with out. But it really is a keep trying thing to find the right position for them.

I hope this helped
    xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFaerie For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (23-02-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by onedayatatime View Post
    It's that evening time, where bub is totally unsettled and nothing works. Every night same thing. For a period of 2 or 3 or 4 hours this goes on. It's exhausting. And how I imagine my sling would help me if only I could master the flamin' art of it! I've watched videos over and over and when I go to do it I stuff it up every time (trying on and off for weeks now). I don't see what I am doing is any different to the people in the videos. It's a ring sling and I am so frustated.

I have carriers but bub gets very upset in these during this unsettled period. The sling seems to be my only hope.

Any tips or advice from the amazing people out there who have mastered ring slings? How did you ever learn it? I have all new respect for ring sling wearers now.
    Ring slings are a bit tricky have you seen these videos? http://www.slingguide.co.uk/instructions.php my main mistake was not tightening enough before popping bub in, thus over tightening after which causes heaps of issues!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was an everyday ring slinger for 4 months straight with my first and im using it again now with the newbie... Once you mastered it - its easy!

Aside from the videos you've already seen - these are my hints..hope the work!

- make sure the fabric is properly threaded through the rings. To me this is the key. You need to fan the fabric out in a way that you can access the top and bottom rails for effective tightening.. There should be a you tube clip on threading.

- pull the tail up then out to adjust and tighten each rail as required versus pulling the whole tail.

- the rings need to end up in the position of a corsage - you could start higher before adjustment if it keeps moving down all the time..

- to put baby in the cradle position pop them in bum first.

HTH

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    I was an everyday ring slinger for 4 months straight with my first and im using it again now with the newbie... Once you mastered it - its easy!

Aside from the videos you've already seen - these are my hints..hope the work!

- make sure the fabric is properly threaded through the rings. To me this is the key. You need to fan the fabric out in a way that you can access the top and bottom rails for effective tightening.. There should be a you tube clip on threading.

- pull the tail up then out to adjust and tighten each rail as required versus pulling the whole tail.

- the rings need to end up in the position of a corsage - you could start higher before adjustment if it keeps moving down all the time..

- to put baby in the cradle position pop them in bum first.

HTH
    If its this sling it's actually been recalled http://www.sydneysbabykingdom.com.au/productrecall.asp

Thanks
    Reviews
    This vid helped me- (breeze baby ring sling)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dVEy...&feature=inbox

10. The Following User Says Thank You to magic star For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No advice with the sling, I had a few different types but my babe hated each one, but what I found helpful was to work out her most settled time of day and prepare sandwiches and cook bulk meals to freeze in individual serves so I could just heat and eat or snack on sandwiches, crackers, fruit, whatever was easy and took one hand while I held her or while she was at the breast. I had an unsettled baby from 3pm to 6pm every day, and other times at random she just wanted to be held, but she had her own little pattern that I worked out fairly early on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    If its this sling it's actually been recalled http://www.sydneysbabykingdom.com.au/productrecall.asp
    Was this in reference to the cradle position? Wasn't sure?
    Yes those infantino's are my pet hate - I report them on eBay but thankfully there hasn't been any in a long time..I personally use the Breeze baby

When I mean cradle carry I mean along the body not tummy to tummy.. sorry for confusion!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post
    Was this in reference to the cradle position? Wasn't sure?
    Yes those infantino's are my pet hate - I report them on eBay but thankfully there hasn't been any in a long time..I personally use the Breeze baby

When I mean cradle carry I mean along the body not tummy to tummy.. sorry for confusion!!
    Ahh everyday ring slinger I read everyday sling rider, my apologies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol!! Haha no worries..I wondered how the rotten old bag sling got into this convo!!