+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cheapest way to move interstate?

Hi Not sure if this is the correct section, just after some advice from people who have moved a household interstate...How did you do it? How much did it cost? How long did it take etc?I heard backloading is cheap so i got some quotes but they were around 4000 dollars (didnt expect that for backloading!)Has anyone hired a sea container? We're moving from Gladstone Qld to Vic, we dont really have a whole heap of stuff and are prepared to sell if we can, dont mind packing ourselves etc just trying to find the most affordable way....Any ideas or experiences would be great Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I moved interestate at the end of last year. It was only about 800kms though.
    I backloaded for $735. All the initial quotes i got were over $1000 but someone on this site posted a link to a site that compares quotes for backloading and i got quotes for a lot cheaper. Sorry i have no idea what that site was called but some after some googling you would probably stumble across it.
    I did a big cleanout before moving and minimised the amount of stuff i owned. I got rid of any old/crappy furniture and bought new stuff for the new place.
    I did all the cleaning and packing so that saved money.
    The actual moving costs were really no different to moving across town but things like insurance went up considerablely.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Miss Salty  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved from Brisbane to Perth, and the removal was $1800. We rang heaps of companies, advising of the most recent quote, and they would all beat the last quote. We drove in our car, that came to about $600 including food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Friends of ours recently moved from Adelaide - Yeppoon.

They took a trailer load of stuff with them, sold their couches and afew other things... But our garage is currently full of their boxes, mattresses, outdoor setting, whitegoods etc. The latest quote to get it there is $3000. I think that's pretty good. There's heaps of stuff and it's a long way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE= We rang heaps of companies, advising of the most recent quote, and they would all beat the last quote.[/QUOTE]

haha that is gold!!! What a great idea. You kind of instigated a private bidding war. And obviously since they wouldn't go below cost it's a win win situation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Opps for some reason it didn't quote, but that was aimed at mandlsmum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sheesh.

We moved from Brisbane to Perth for $14,000 including car transport (not including flights and accommodation), and we just moved from Perth to central Queensland for $20,000.

It cost $12,000 to move from Cairns to Brisbane a couple of years ago.

But we have a lot of stuff (70 squares) and that is with packing and insurance. And it was with big name companies as well.

It took about 10-14 days to get our stuff via rail.

A friend moved from Perth to Melbourne for around $3,000 I believe, that was a backload, and they got rid of a fair bit of stuff and drove across with a trailer load.

Good luck with you move!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved Hobart Tas to Newcastle NSW. Cost us about 2300 for moving van (WITHOUT selling anything and on backload) as we weighed up how much it would cost to buy our good quality furniture again and it would've cost more to sell everything and then buy all again unless we wanted super cheap furniture.

Drove our cars (had to catch the boat to get out of Tas), all up that plus removal van cost us 3300. Pack the valuables/breakables in our cars though. So for a move that was approx 1800kms I think we did quite well considering we kept all our stuff. That was for 2 beds (single and queen), l shaped lounge, entertainment unit, bookshelves, dining table and 4 chairs plus various boxes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved from Newcastle to Melbourne last year and we hired a shipping container and sent it via Pacific National (rail). It cost around $2K, this included: the hiring of the container (20ft), delivery of the container to our house, us packing it, them picking it up and taking it to a storage unit, picking up from the storage unit and delivering to Pacific National, sent to Melbourne on the rail. We hired the container for 6 weeks as we stored our stuff while we found someone to live. It would have been cheaper except the shipping container company made us pay a relocation fee of $400 as we didn't return the container to Newcastle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Something else to look into is whether your contents insurance covers all your stuff while its in transit. Mine did so that saved me some money.