+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When you are sick...

and on your own, what do you do? My husband is away (FIFO) and I just took DD to the dr and she has a bad throat infection. I'm not well either, burning eyes, aching body, cough. We just got back from being away, so have no food. I don't have anyone to come and look after us.

Thankfully DS is well, and has daycare tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get an appt. As I didnt really realise I was sick til DD went to bed and I stopped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If my child is sick too, we lay in bed, I have half-doze on and off, and I have kids movies/shows playing all day long. Dinner, if any of us want it, is something really lazy. Like 2 min noodle lazy.

If it's just me who's sick, I fob DD off, allow her to eat whatever she wants (even if all that meant was tiny teddies all day long), and let her do really bad stuff like watch TV all day or play DS or computer all day so I can rest. She's 6, so I can leave her to entertain herself, but when she was little, I did similar, it was just me laying on the couch dozing on and off and sleeping during her nap times.

I never DON'T have food though - I've always got frozen leftovers, or frozen bread or whatever, so nobody will go hungry, even if food is not ideal. If people were hungry, I'd prob order a pizza tbh, if I really didn't feel up to going out (or chinese or some other delivered take-away). Otherwise I'd nip down to the nearest shop/servo grab some milk and bread and we'd live on sandwiches for the next few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    usually just co-sleep, try to get lots of vitamin C into me, and just try and get as much sleep as possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you order some food from coles online and have it delivered?

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Get groceries delivered or a friend to bring some around if delivery isn't available where you are. Get the friend to pick up some paracetamol for you and the little person if you need it, too. Get a few pre-cooked meals and some stuff that you can stick on to slow cook either in a slow cooker or in a very low oven and let it go all day so you don't have to think about meals. And sleep on the couch while your little person watches TV until you're better.

Being sick sucks. being sick when you're alone is so much worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    Get groceries delivered or a friend to bring some around if delivery isn't available where you are. Get the friend to pick up some paracetamol for you and the little person if you need it, too. Get a few pre-cooked meals and some stuff that you can stick on to slow cook either in a slow cooker or in a very low oven and let it go all day so you don't have to think about meals. And sleep on the couch while your little person watches TV until you're better.

Being sick sucks. being sick when you're alone is so much worse.
    This!

being sick sucks with a little one, I couldn't imagine doing it ALL alone!! I count the the hours down till DH gets home (after DD is asleep though )

Just lay on the couch and have the tv on all day of need be.

I told DH I need a TV in our bed room for when I'm sick he promised next time I'm sick he will get one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We seem to always get sick when DH is in another country
    My survival method is to just set up the lounge room with toys, tv and snacks and lay on the couch while the kids go nuts. If they are sick too we all lay around. I try to always have left overs frozen for such emergencies so i don't need to cook but if i don't then it's just whatever i can manage - i don't try to do more than i handle.
    I don't bother with cleaning (only the bare minimum if i can stand it but i try not to stress about it, it can all be done when we are better) and i just try to rest as much as possible. Lots of fluids and hope to heck it passes quickly.
    It is really awful but it will end, hang in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly my DH works FIFO to and i know how hard it is to be sick when you have no help.

I find they are always sick when he is away. It isn't fair.

Since your DS is in daycare tomorrow.

Rest as much as you can. Lay in bed, put on movies and just doze all day.

Can you order your shopping online and get it delivered. Or just do a quick trip to the supermarket and get what you need & something easy for dinner.

Make sure you drink alot of water, vitamin c and olive leaf always makes me better alot quicker.

Hope you feel better soon and look after yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    granted i dont have young children anymore, i would usually just laze about and sleep on the couch while cartoon or dvd are on and its free range from the cupboard and drinks are always available to have and are made up as well to take all the time.

hope you feel better soon and just have some lazy days if needed. a few tv days here and there does no harm to anyone if it means you can rest to improve your health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woolworths home delivery. DVDs/tv.