+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD2 is 7 I have tried the hair dryer and GHD and they do work but I dont like using them on her but maybe I might have too. If I ever feel that I have them thats what I do just blow dry and straighten

I would never put dog flea stuff on my kids, I know some people who do and I cant believe they would do that

I have used the vinegar too, that does soften the nit eggs for a bit which makes it alot easier for the eggs to slide off

I just wish nits werent a problem, I just need them gone so the tea tree oil treatment I use to prevent them will work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
    I use tea tree oil mixed with water in a spray bottle on both my boys hair everyday and so far it has been all good.

Or alternatively i will shave their heads.

Thats what I did for my DS, but I could never shave my girls hair

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Threadkiller View Post
    Thats what I did for my DS, but I could never shave my girls hair
    No i wouldn't shave my girls head either (if i had one) I was only talking about my boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
    No i wouldn't shave my girls head either (if i had one) I was only talking about my boys.
    I knew what you meant

Thanks
    Reviews
    i know of someone who absolutely swears by using hairspray in the kids hair every day.... alot of it.. she has kids which have such blonde hair it's almost white. and someone else told her after she gets rid of the nits, to use hairspray on their hair as the nits can't cling onto the hairsprayed hair.. she said it works...

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard that using a hair straightener kills the little suckers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hair straightener is good, but you have to get close to the roots to kill the eggs. I hate nits, I'm always checking my kids hair. We have only had random ones, but I've kids completely infested with them. I'm sure your washing all the bedding and head wear, just got to keep ahead of the little buggers tie hair up at school, preventive spray may help. But I usually manually go through their hair strand by strand, although my eldest dd has really thick hair so it takes a while

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    i know of someone who absolutely swears by using hairspray in the kids hair every day.... alot of it.. she has kids which have such blonde hair it's almost white. and someone else told her after she gets rid of the nits, to use hairspray on their hair as the nits can't cling onto the hairsprayed hair.. she said it works...
    I spray lavender oil and water on DD1's hair + make her hair stiff with hairspray every day before school and she still got them. It helps but it's not a cure all.

Lice can only live for a day without human blood supply so no need to go overboard on the washing either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Headlice can build up a resistance to treatment , so if the one you are using isn't working for you, try a different one that has a different acting compound and of course don't forget to retreat because if you miss one egg the cycle can start all over again - Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I caught nits twice as an adult, once when I was on placement and once when I was working in childcare. Personally, I don't think hairspray does anything to keep them away. Back then, I used to use a metric ton of hairspray and product and I still got them.
    In the end my mum got them out with the conditioner method. She found the trick was to pile the hair with as much conditioner as it could hold, then wrap the head in cling wrap and leave it for at least an hour. It gives the conditioner time to soak in and really immobilise the ba$tards. It's pointless using the shampoo and stuff if you don't get the eggs out.
    I nearly ended up recruiting my best friend and my neighbour to help, it's hard work sectioning and combing hair that's crazy infested. Do you have anybody else you can call in to help with combing?
    I also know that dying my hair killed them, but that's not really suitable for children (works well if mum or dad are infested though)
    The only other thing I can recommend is to check everybody (including parents) every few days no matter what. Even if there hasn't been an outbreak for months, keep checking every few days. It's SO much easier to deal with them when you catch them early.

This thread is making the back of my head itchy
    Last edited by Berrie; 22-02-2012 at 10:29.