+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of hugs xx
    I would be devastated to get rid of my baby girl dog...
    I would get him back if possible xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Winterbubs1012 For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've no where to keep him. My mums house is being sold soon and there's only pavement out the back. No one else I know would be able to look after him. I could ask my aunt but I fear that now being single and having to find work full time when I do get him back he'll be alone anyway. He's better off where he is, I know that. I'm just having trouble dealing with the sadness, guilt and frustration. She says he's very happy and the kids loving playing with him and throwing the ball etc. sigh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mate and her hubby just split. The hardest thing for her for leaving her dog. The love for her husband died a long time ago and it was a relief for it to finally end . But she loved that dog

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's actually a nice thing when we miss our pets that much. It's better than not giving a stuff, anyway.

Not the same, but I miss a cat I got when I was 16/17. He was divine. He was all mine, not a "family pet," as all other pets had been prior to that, and he loved me. I loved him too.

I loved him even after DD came, but when we moved, he liked to trample through our neighbours yard. We've previously lived in a small street where nobody cared if your cat was in their yard... he was used to having a small wander. He wasn't a bird killer or anything - he was scared of wildlife. lol.

Anyway, I sent him back to live with my mother for a while, because the neighbour's yard in our new place was very long, and he'd come home with ticks all over him. It wasn't healthy for him, and I freaked when I found one of them on DD (who was 2 at the time).

He'd lived at Mum's before, that's the place we'd come from originally... but he just disappeared oneday. No idea wtf happened to him. This would have been about 4 years ago now, and I still miss him lots. I want to know what happened to him... or maybe I don't, if it was something bad. I just wish I still had him. I miss him.

Sorry to hog, just trying to let you know that I miss a pet too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've no advice sorry but wanted to send a hug. I feel for you. I start welling up thinking that we may have to rehome our lovely dog before we emigrate even though I know she'll be going to my sister. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    huge hugs

my pets are my babies too, they're just furry.
    what you are going through is awful but completely normal - you are going through a loss. i hope you can keep in touch and i commend you for putting your dog first and putting him in a home where he can flourish, instead of keeping him home when his living conditions aren't what he needs.

you've put your baby first......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with the pp about keeping regular contact, that way you can continue to ensure he's in the best situation possible.

I had to say goodbye to my dearly loved 8 yr old border collie when I broke up with my ex. We both loved him so much (maybe too much) but as I worked during the day and was travelling interstate a lot and my ex worked afternoons/evenings and was a home body otherwise, he was better off with him. My ex emotionally needed him more than I did too as he suffers severe depression. My ex was happy for me to come and visit him, take him for a walk or take him home for the night but as time has gone on, I've done this less and less as I have to get on with my life and cut ties with the ex.

It's hard but knowing he is loved and looked after makes it easier and as a pp said, it does get easier with time.

I could never have imagined that my gorgeous boy would no longer be in my life. My view as an animal lover is that pets are a lifetime resposibility and we have an obligation to look after them and keep them even when it's not convenient. But sadly there are some unforseen life circumstances that make this impossible or not in their best interest and in this case, we do all we can to rehome them in the best place possible. You've done this and so you shouldn't feel guilty. You're dealing with a breakup, moving house and raising a child, you really need to be kind to yourself xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe in pets being for life, but I also know that sometimes situations change and sometimes the hardest thing to do (give them up) can also be the nicest depending on the situation. It sounds like you have done the best you can, even if it is not ideal It is nice the lady gives you updates.
    Last edited by chameleon; 29-02-2012 at 12:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to everyone for their replies and support and also sharing your stories. At least some people can identify with the situation and I'm not alone in this. My ex seems to think I care more about the dog than our relationship.

At least I know he's getting well deserved attention and they're respecting my wishes. I'm allowed to visit him soon and will give him my final goodbye because I can't bear to visit him time and time again, especially if he's not sure why I'm leaving without him etc.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it