+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default It sounds pathetic but I really miss my dog :(

I had a dog when I was younger. She was all mine, but she got cancer and had to be put down. I got over it but didn't get another dog.

Two weeks before DS was born we got a staffy, my DP already had a dog also. They became the best of friends. Fast forward 22 months and he was now my DS best friend. Always sat with him, played together, never once bit or snapped my son in his entire life. Just licked and slept together. Three days ago I had to give him away. I am heartbroken. I know it sounds silly and most of you will say 'he's just a dog', but he wasn't. He was the most kind and gentle dog anyone could ask for. A big sook. Slept in our bed, sat with us, walked ran swam.. I spent everyday of his first 17 months of life with him. Sure he was a little pr*ck at times and has cost us thousands in damages and vet bills after eating a whole box of lindts chocolate balls, lol. But I love him so much. Almost a month ago I left my partner and took DS to my mothers. My DP was left with both dogs and as he worked full time and didn't want to be here alone, he went out alot and they didn't get much attention.

Three days ago I had to rehome him with a lovely family of almost 4 and another 6 month old staffy. I am so depressed. I've kept in contact and messaged her and she's told me he's doing well, apparently he's adopted a bear as his own and carries it everywhere and sleeps with it. I'm not sure why. Perhaps he's anxious.

I feel as though I'm bugging her. I'm regretting giving him away. I just want a photo or something. She said we could come and visit etc but I don't want to upset his situation. I barely got to say bye because he was already in their car and too interested in the smells and didn't understand what was going on, he thought he was going for a ride, he was but he didn't know he wasnt coming home

Our other dog is also depressed and anxious. She's older and now left home alone. I feel so bad and so so guilty. I can get him back if I want but it would mean coming home after already setting in motion a cancellation of our lease.

I just tried to speak to my ex over the phone about it and he wasn't very nice, he said to make a decision because im fu*king with his life *cry*

I'm sorry for the pathetic vent but I just needed to get it out there cause no one in my life understands and I can't talk to anyone about it.

Ty for listening
    Last edited by fakingamnesia; 21-02-2012 at 15:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be devastated if I had to give up my boy. He's my baby. They aren't just animals *hugs* I wish I could say more to make you feel better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh how heartbreaking for you. I wish I had words to make it feel better

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's not pathetic at all. I love my dogs so much and would be heart broken if I had to give them away. Sorry you're in this position hugs.

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know exactly how you are feeling. Over 3 years ago when my ex DF and I split I had a beautiful Dogue De Bordeaux. He was exactly like how you described your dog, just a wonderful, perfect dog but when we split and I went back to my mums I couldn't take him and had to rehome him, he was just too big to put in her tiny little yard. He went to a wonderful home with a tradie who was going to take him to work everyday and lived on the beach so I was happy about that but it was so hard. I still now think about him every now and then, especially when I see another of the same breed but I know he went to a really great home.

I assure you it does get easier and you really did do the right thing. Hugs for being so brave

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not being silly or pathetic!!! Pets are part of families too & it hurts when you lose them too!
    Could you maybe ask if they will send you a photo? If they were happy to update you etc one hopes they will be fine with doing that for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Naw, I'm so sad for you!! It is utterly heart breaking. We have 3 boys we absolutely adore, & I am conscious of the fact that a day is approaching where at least one of my fursons will need to be rehomed. I tried to rehome one a few months ago, he was gone 2 days before I called the lady asking for him back. I wish I hadn't done that now - I've delayed the inevitable - but I couldn't stop crying over my big puppy not being my big puppy any more.

Be kind to yourself. There is nothing worse. xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if he went to the best home though. The women who took him expressed concern the next day that she may of bitten off more than she could chew. Her partner talked her into trialling it for the next few days. She is only 20 and is about to have her 3rd child, im not judging her at all, my concern is that he won't get the time and attention that I think he deserves after the child is born. Her toddlers love him though and do play with him so I'm not entirely doubtful

I am just really upset but thank you all for the support. I appreciate it alot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Stay in touch with her. That way you can keep tabs on him.

Staffies love attention so at least if your doggy is getting it from the kids it's way better than nothing.

Hugs. I'd be a mess too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor you, I would be devastated if I had to give up my dog.

I would also be worried about your other dog who is clearly depressed and missing him.

If I was able to, I would be getting the dog back. However if you think it's for the best in the long run, then you've done the right thing. Awful situation

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AllCreatures For This Useful Post:

Luvmydogs  (22-02-2012)