+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Lightbulb does anyone know what anti e is

hi im 32 weeks pregnant and i just found out that i have anti e does anyone no what it is and can it effect u and the baby thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Look it up on medscape

This sounded familiar as I was given a blood product frequently in me preg called Anti-D, to prevent my immune system attacking the baby in subsequent pregs, as I am rh neg blood type and bub is rh positive. Looked it up on Medscape for you (google pregnancy anti-e) and it's called erythrocyte isoimmunisation. It means basically your body's immune system is crossing the placenta and affecting the baby. They will probably treat you with a blood product if they haven't already.

Do look it up so you feel more informed.

Good luck to you, hope all is well with you and your baby .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

kait11  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for that i asked the doctor and he said dont be worried he said it just means she will have jaundice when born

Thanks
    Reviews

Default glad you asked your doc~ phototherapy for jaundice

Hi there, glad to hear you asked your doc. I am so glad to hear that jaundice is the only outcome for you. It is very treatable, and baby may actually be fine when born, jaundice levels may be too low to need treatment, anyway.

Do be prepared, though, that if bub needs treatment, you may have a v short stay in the nursery while bub receives phototherapy. Bub is usually in an isolette (a humidicrib) while this occurs, as they only have a nappy on during treatment, and the isolette maintains their temperature. From memory, I'm pretty sure the bub requires an IV to maintain fluid balance, as it's hot under those lights. They will heel prick frequently to track the levels and adjust treatment as it comes down. It can be frustrating while bub is treated, as the docs and nurses like them to remain under lights as much as possible during treatment, and hugs and contact are often shorter. Remember you can still nurse your bub and attend to his cares in the nursery, so keep your eyes on the prize as this will only be for a short time.

Our bub had mild-moderate jaundice, requiring 3 days phototherapy, after the condition took a day to develop after birth.

Also, make sure you bring this anti-e issue up with your Ob/Gyn/Doc in any other pregnancies you may have, as they may treat you preventatively next time around ~ once your immune system is stimulated in like this, it tends to respond to babies in a hostile way.

So glad to hear all is well and the only potential problem is a very common and treatable condition.

Good luck to you once bub is born!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it is Anti-D (which I think it is) it just means you are a negative blood type. If the baby is a positive blood type, when it is born, a few of those positive blood cells may get into your bod and cause an immune reaction (where your body doesn't recognise the cells and attacks and kills them). It's very rarely an issue for the first baby, but in your next pregnancy if a few baby blood cells pass into your body while the baby is in there, your immune system may attack the baby (because your immune system is already sensitised to these cells, it will form a much bigger reaction than the first time).
    So they give you anti-D (anti-rhesus) to prevent your body recognising these foreign cells and starting an immune reaction.

HTH

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysurprisebaby For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default anti e

well this is my second pregnancy with my first son i didnt have any anti e or anything but i lost alot of blood with him so i had a blood transfusion . but now with my 2nd it just came up now with tests and im 33 weeks so i hope the doctor is right that it is just jaundice cause i dont want to affect her in any other way . but thankyou everyone so much with your info i was really getting worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kait11, thanks for your friend request. I assumed this was your second, as this kind of reaction only happens after a first pregnancy. You'll be fine. Just be prepared for the jaundice. I forgot to mention in my above post that jaundice treatment causes really tarry poos, along with the initial mecconium passed after birth, so be prepared for this kind of fun....

Hope your preg continues without any more probs. Cheers, BaronessM.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default anti e

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Hi Kait11, thanks for your friend request. I assumed this was your second, as this kind of reaction only happens after a first pregnancy. You'll be fine. Just be prepared for the jaundice. I forgot to mention in my above post that jaundice treatment causes really tarry poos, along with the initial mecconium passed after birth, so be prepared for this kind of fun....

Hope your preg continues without any more probs. Cheers, BaronessM.
    does that mean ill have tarry poos or her

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not anti D, anti e

Hi MySurpriseBaby,

Kait was actually talking about anti-e. See my post above for info as to how to find out about this. Thanks for your nice, simple explanation of rh neg issues, I couldn't simplify it as well as you did. Anti-e is actually the name of the condition, not the treatment itself. Cheers,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kait, the bub gets the tarry poos, as he/she is the one treated for the jaundice, duffer!