+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Prep for baby's arrival - unknown gender?

Morning everyone!

I'm 31+1 today and starting to considering preparing for baby's arrival a bit more seriously now!! Hubby and I decided not to find out baby's gender and I'm finding preparing without knowing a little challenging!!

We have all the major stuff (cot, change table, pram, car seat etc) as well as a few smaller things like newborn nappies, breast pump, blanket, cot sheet set, bath products / rash creams etc. I'll be 36 weeks by the time I have my shower and have just requested a lot of the small stuff that we're missing as well as gift cards.

We have a few gender neutral jumpsuits and singlets etc in yellow / green colours and the plan is to go shopping for all the fun gender specific stuff after bub is born, probably after about 2 weeks.

But I have absolutely no idea how many outfits I will need to get us through to when we end up going shopping!! How many outfits does a newborn need per day? And sheet sets - how many do I need?

Ugh I'm sure I'm getting way too worked up about this haha!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had three sheet sets and a mattress protector in case of accidents.

You will probably need a few jumpsuits (bonds wonder suits are great)
    A few singlets too.
    That's pretty much all you need in the first two weeks unless you have special occasions etc.

We didn't find out the sex either so we had all white, green, yellow and red everything lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

Myshadowfax  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Shadow!!

I'm 31+5 as of today - eep - and am also getting in the zone a bit more!

We too have all the major stuff so now its just fine tuning the little things.

I have quite a few little outfits (most of which were bought at one kick-a*s garage sale - some near brand new jumpsuits for $1 so i stocked up!

We dont know what we're having either so have the usual supplies in yellows and whites etc - i plan to send DH to Target while i'm in hospital. I thought it might be a nice little job for him to go and pick out the gender specific outfit for the little one to come home in - will be interesting to see what he/she ends up in! lol

I've probably got about 6-8 x 0000 outfits and about the same in 000. I figure at least it will get me through a couple of days (then dh can do the washing lol) and give me a chance to get to the shops. I'm not going overboard at this stage!

One thing that was recommended to me was that while you are in hospital - if you are happy too - keep your little one in the hospital issued outfits. That way you dont have to take home any washing and all your gear will be clean and ready for use once you get home! I'm thinking once my LO outgrows his teeny tiny newborn outfits i might donate them (or some of them) to the hospital seeing as it is a really great service they offer....

So what is your due date? Mine is Anzac Day - 25th April - terrifying to think that its nearly march already! I'm having my baby shower on 4th march. Very excited.

Hope your keeping well!

x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kellijh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and we got some of the old cloth nappies, the square toweling ones, to use while bfeeding for leaks and spews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had 2 sets of basinett sheet sets. About 6 onesies, 10 singlets, and 2 pair of leggings and 2 tshirts. All in 0000 and 000.

It was enough for the first few weeks.

I washed every day. One tip I'll share is, place a cloth nappy or folded bunny rug in your basinett/ cot, then lay bubs down on that to sleep. That way, if they spew, you only have to change a cloth, not all the sheets. You can also fold one over the top edge of the sheets and blankets to catch vomit. Again, much easier than changing/ washing all the sheets and blankets.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

kellijh  (21-02-2012),Myshadowfax  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great tip there Preggasaurus!!

Oh i also bought some baby wipes, baby bath lotion, cotton wool/buds etc, 2 x boxes huggies newborns etc to get us started....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm at 34+5 and also expecting a baby of unknown gender. I have 4 0000 romper suits for a boy and 4 for a girl, plus a few little t-shirts for each as well. I bought a pack of 6 white singlets in 0000. I also have 6 muslins in gender neutral colours for wrapping.
    As soon as the baby is born I know my mum will go crazy with buying clothes, so these outfits will really only need to last the first three days or so in hospital.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to betherina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies!! Some great tips and advice here.

Yep was planning on having bubs in the hospital outfits until we go home, was thinking choosing a going home outfit might be a fun thing for my parents to go and do

LOL Kelli I'm not sure I trust my DH enough to send him shopping on his own - especially if we end up having a girl - the consequences could be disasterous!! My 'official' due date is 28/04 but there is some doubt to this date, I'm going to try to be 'ready to go' from 20/04 onwards. Have fun at your shower!! Mine is scheduled for 31/03 and I'm beginning to think perhaps I've left it too late.....hopefully bub stays as well behaved as its been so far as I've had a pretty easy pregnancy!

I actually bough a 12 pack of those dickies cloth nappies to use for spills / spews etc but what a great idea putting one down on the cot!!

So I'm thinking I'll make sure I have maybe 8 x 0000 and 8 x 000, 2 sheet sets and 1 mattress protector and this should help us get us through!

Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    I washed every day. One tip I'll share is, place a cloth nappy or folded bunny rug in your basinett/ cot, then lay bubs down on that to sleep. That way, if they spew, you only have to change a cloth, not all the sheets. You can also fold one over the top edge of the sheets and blankets to catch vomit. Again, much easier than changing/ washing all the sheets and blankets.

This is great advice cause I did the same thing and it worked a treat! :-)
    I also did not know the gender of any of our babies and found it a little hard to buy things as now a days most things are either boy or girl but I did was this..

I had 2 sets of gender netural sheet sets and 2 blankets and then went out and bought a gender specific set once baby was here..

I also had 4 sleepsuits in white, lemon and green and then again bought gender stuff..

I also found that lots and lots of people bought us gender specific clothing and accesories once baby was born so it is improtant not to go over board and they grow so fast...

Good luck though it is a very exciting time..

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsPee For This Useful Post:

kellijh  (21-02-2012),Myshadowfax  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread a little but seems we're all about the same stage here so thought i'd ask...

are your LO's kicking patterns pretty much the same every day? Some days i will have nights where he/she kicks alot and other nights, while i do still get movement, it can be significantly less........

Hope i'm freaking about nothing!