+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Scruffy.

I had a lap, ovarian drilling and hycosy done last September (is that what a hysteroscopy is?) If so, would I need another one? I don't have private health and that op set me back $2500!

Also, what is CGH?

I am expecting AF this weekend and will need to wait another month to start an FET anyway, but I don't think I will get in to see the FS in time which means I would have to wait 2 months!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Baby View Post
    Hi ladies!

I was wondering if I could ask a few questions?

How do you get tested for NK Cells? I want to ask my FS at my next appt and want to be prepared for what she says. I've heard that you get tested the day before AF is due, which means you would have to wait a month to start a treated cycle (if you have it). Is that right?

Also, what are the reasons that you would get tested? I have only done 3 IVF attempts (2 xBFN and 1x m/c) and am worried that it isn't enough to get tested? I am only interested in getting tested as my last 2 BFN cycles, I have felt AF pains since the day after transfer all the way up to AF, which makes me believe that my body rejects the embryo almost instantly?

Also, how long does it take to get the results and how much does the test cost?

This 3rd cycle isn't an official BFN yet, but I am 7dp5dt and got a BFN and have had major AF pains since the day after transfer, so deep down I know...

Thanks ladies!
    Disney - The most conclusive test is a biopsy (remove some tissue from the uterine wall). This doesn't have to be done as part of any other procedure although some FS prefer to do it this way. Some FS will just do a BT but they are known to give false negatives.

The best time for a biopsy is between CD24 & CD26 of a 28 day cycle but again this is dependant on your FS, some have their own timetable for it. The reason this is usually the best time is because this is when embie would be burrowed in normally & if you have high levels of NK cells at that time, it can be detrimental to an embie staying sticky.

It usually takes a couple of weeks for the results to come through but you can always asked to be started on the protocol before the results & stop meds if they are negative. The test cost me nothing but I'm in SA, you would have to ask your clinic.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hoping4asticky1 For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Disney, CGH is a form of genetic testing of embryos. I do it because I have a balanced translocation of two chromosomes and a higher chance of producing unbalanced embryos. That's why I asked about NK testing as three apparently 'perfect' embryos have failed to implant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and the waiting sucks! Apparently some FS would let you go onto FET straight after biopsy but mine wouldn't!

Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm it's making me really wonder if that is my problem? I got AF today, so that's my 3rd failed cycle. BT is tomorrow to confirm. I wish I still didn't have to go in, but oh well!

I have my next FS appt on the 24th and will only be CD9 then. I hope she takes me seriously and lets me get the test done.
    I'm going to feel weird seeing her again as I think I made her angry last time. I couldn't get my last appt until CD3 and she likes to start on CD2, and I cried and cried because I was going to have to wait a month over 1 day, but she told me that it was my risk to start on CD3 and that if a nurse could see me that day, that I could start. She didn't seem happy that I cried to 'get my own way' I guess.

How much does CGH testing cost and do they test the embryos you already have, or do they test on fresh embies?

My last transfer was an 'excellent' 5AA and it still didn't stick. I had AF pains since the day after transfer! I had it on my FET cycle too, which was my first cycle with this new FS. I don't remember having them pains on my first cycle with my old FS.

Do you ladies believe that the way the FS puts the embies in has any effect on the outcome? I can't help but think my FS is being careless or something which is why I can physically tell the cycle is a bust the day after transfer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Disney really sorry to hear AF arrived

I can give you info. on all your questions. Nobody in Perth will test for NK cells directly (last time I checked in 2011). You can contact Dr Sacks in Sydney - he is lovely and will get back to you via email straight away. Dr Sacks is happy to test people in Sydney or he can give the name of a FS in Perth that will do the biopsy and then send the results to him.

CGH testing is expensive - $5200 not covered by medicare. All clinics are different but at mine they do a fresh cycle and send them over to the eastern states at Day 3 to get tested. They are transferred back at Day 5. In terms of putting the embie back a lot of clinics now use ultra sound guidance to make sure it's going back into the best possible position. But if you got a BFP previously it sounds like they are doing it right.
    I was at the same clinic as you and they told me my embies looked fantastic I have later found out that the grading doesn't really mean anything. They can look great but be chromosomal abnormal which will get picked up on CGH testing.
    Disney I wouldn't panic too much as this stage easier said than done I know. I would do a few more transfers and another cycle. If you still have no luck then I would consider further testing. Were your progesterone levels ok? Did AF arrive early on all of your transfers?
    Take Care
    SS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Disney,

I am with Dr Turner at Hollywood IVF in Perth and he was fine about NK cell testing.

He also said it's still a numbers game, after 3 BFN's I may be on my way to the next 3 being BFP's it's just a harder journey than someone who gets BFN, BFP, BFN, BFP, BFN, BFP. Still both six transfers in all but the second much easier to cope with (does that make sense?)

Also ask for your and your DH blood karotyping to be done. This checks for balanced translocations. They may have already done it, not told you the result.

I hope this helps, Good Luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scruffy re: NKC does Dr Turner do a biopsy or blood test (or both) and do they analyse the results in Perth? When I wanted to get this test done last year I was told that nobody in Perth would do a biopsy and that I would need to go over east and was given Dr Sack's name. Just wondering if I was misinformed or if this has changed. It's really frustrating if this has been available all along and there are women going over east for no reason as I know I wasn't the only one.
    Last edited by SummerShine; 17-05-2012 at 10:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Summer,

Dr Turner did a biopsy with me. I asked for testing and he said he whilst he was doing my hysteroscopy he would take a biopsy at the same time. Not sure if that's how he usually tests? Also not sure where the results are analysed, they did say it would take a couple of weeks to get them back. It was done just under a week ago.

I have found that alot of clinics won't tell you what else is on offer, I wasted time with PGD at FSWA when I didn't know HIVF doing CGH which is more thorough testing!!

What testing are you doing now? (from your signature)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scruffy For This Useful Post:

SummerShine  (17-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for that info Scruffy!
    I find this whole process so hard trying to get good information you learn more on BH I think.
    A counsellor from an independent service told me I would have to go over east for NK biopsy. Grrrr Having said that this was in early 2011 and maybe things have changed since then.
    FSWA are also doing CGH testing now too. I was going to be doing that but not so sure anymore. I think my eggs are poor quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast