+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Us dairy cow pumping mummies

Wanted to start a thread for us dairy cow pumping mummies, so here tis!

My little guy was born a planned prem at 34 wks (1759g) as he wouldn't have survived in the womb due to a swiss cheese placenta. Mercifully had a sucking reflex due to all the steroids, I imagine, given to mature his lungs at 26wks~ had threatened pre term labour.

Had to battle with nurses who said he was too tiny to feed at first, but he proved them wrong! Opened up wider than some full-term bubs and off we went... He pulled out his NGT at 3wo and never looked back.

Sadly he won't BF any more due to awful reflux, couldn't feed in the horizontal pos and eventually preferred the bottle...I couldn't stand the screaming when I offered him the boob.

Am up pumping at mo (7.5 months on). Have to take Motilium to keep my supply up, even then part formula feed as he had a voracious appetite and I couldn't keep up (dammit)!

I actually enjoy pumping (am i insane?). It just seems part of the ritual of caring for my baby and I feel like I'm doing something good for him even though he won't BF anymore.

Any other mums out there doing the daisy cow routine, full on?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a little scared/intimidated at the thought of pumping. Does it hurt? We have an outting in a few weeks where my mum is going to have to babysit so I'm going to have to have it sussed and sorted by then. Sorry to quiz you in your own thread but you definitely sound like a pro!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Angewah, Don't apologise, that's what this thread is for! support, Q's, advice etc, from and to any other mums!

If you only need EBM (expressed Breast Milk) occasionally, you could just pump by hand. Try it after you BF when you know your bub has had enough. Freeze it and store, will last for 3months and is useful if you,re away from your bub or suddenly can't feed due to a medication change, etc. Great for daddies to feed EBM to bubs, too.

To hand express, massage the boob well first, then place a bottle under/in front of nipple and stroke with thumb on top and forefinger under the nipple. Gentle at first till let down occurs, and change your grip from time to time as new milk ducts are stimulated and the 'hind milk' (creamier than the watery foremilk) comes through. You'll get the hang of it quickly, but it can take a little prac to get really proficient. Have a flannel handy~ BM gets everywhere some days!

To actually answer your Q, it doesn't hurt unless you are full brim to overflowing, and then it only hurts with a very powerful elec pump. It actually gives you the same oxytocin rush BF'ing does, a tingly feeling of overall wellness to an actual high, sometimes (maybe I just answered my own Q about why do I enjoy it and am I insane? no, just on the oxytocin high)!

All breast pumps are definitely NOT equal, the mini elec ones are useless and actually do hurt. If you think you'll be doing a bit of it, invest in a good quality elec pump, one that fits normal feeding bottles.

I'd really recommend you try it out ahead of time, you don't want to be stressed for time when you first try, and bub may not take to the bottle easily, especially with someone other than Mum feeding. Hope this helps and let us know how you get along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply I'll give the hand expressing a go earlier than I need to as you suggested. You've made it sound less scary lol, so thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been expressing to feed for a whole year!!! I am just in the process of closing up the milk factory now as DS has finally taken to formula & is eating his solids well. I will be happy to have my boobs back, and I'm looking forward to going back on the pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

I have been a very good cow too! I have been expressing for my 2 premmie twins for just over a year now. Like you Moosie, I am shutting up shop also. My DD is onto formula/cows milk, and my DS, for some reason started to refuse a bottle about 3 months ago, and I am now breastfeeding him. Until he learns to use a sippy cup, I'll keep feeding him. Although I'm kinda getting over that too....

I don't know if I could say that I enjoy expressing, or that I will miss, but I did use that time to do other things like make a few phone calls, do my online shopping etc. And i am very pleased that i was able to give both 12 months of breast milk...they have been very healthy, and I would like to think that breastmilk as contributed alittle to that. ???

But I am glad to be getting some time back, and just breastfeeding one makes life so much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! Pumping for twins for a year! Awesome! Not sure how long I'll keep it up, prob abt a year or so. I have to confess I'm really a lazy pumper. Sometimes go 24 but usually 18hrs between pumps now as I have less time now bub is 7.5m, and doesn't matter how often I pump, I'll still get only 300mls a day. Can get more if I take more motilium tabs, but they give me a terrible headache if i take more than three tabs a day, prob cos I don't drink enough water. Abt 250mls BM is enough for our needs as we've been cutting it with formula for abt 4months as I couldn't keep up with his appetite. As long as he gets a third BM in every bottle, I'm happy.

You should be awfully proud of yourselves for keeping up the pumping for an extended time. My Maternal Health Nurse says most mums give up full-time pumping by 4months, so big pats on the back for the mummies who do pump for months and months on end. It can be time consuming and inconvenient, but at the end of the day, your bubs would thank you for your efforts, if only they could.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi to all the pumping mummies. Still pumping at 8.5m. I have to change my ways as I tend to leave it till last thing before I go to bed, then it takes me forever, as I'm just exhausted. I bless my Medela Swing everytime I use it, though nothing works better on left breast than hand expressing. Always finish this way as it gets the last drops.

My friend said the other day she was sick of pumping, and was going to think about giving up (at 6m mark). When I told her to do whatever was best for herself and bubs and that she was well past the point that most give almost full-time pumping away, she asked if I would keep going. I will do it till a year, then another month, then another, and I'll only give it up when it feels right. This steeled her resolve to keep going a little longer...

It's part of the routine now, though sometimes it can be annoying to have to find the time...and I get sick of milk splatters everywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still pumping and it's 10.5m now. Only doing it once a day at mo, still lazy am I, but it's enough for our needs. Bubs recently caught his first cold, wonder if it's due to him teething and not eating/drinking bottles with gusto like he used to, and getting less EBM? Suppose he had to get a cold sooner or later... and me along with him. He's remained at 50th centile for height, weight, HC, for awhile now ~ you'd never know he was prem. How are the other breast-pumping Mummies doing out there in Bub Hub land?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ho, still pumping. Recently my supply has dropped off quite markedly, and I'm starting to get some terribly painful ducts in my RH boob which just won't drain very well. It's exasperating spending an hour trying to drain the whole boob and still having painful patches on the outside near the armpit. My partner hugged me last night and I leaped a mile and my hand shot up to guard the poor boob.

Off now to wash the air line for my Medela Swing ~ don't know why it got milk in the line last night, the bottle wasn't full...lucky it didn't get all through the pump and is so eassily cleaned.

Bubs is over the cold now, but is getting 7 teeth at mo (including his 14m molars at 9.5m corrected!). 3 cut yesterday and only 4 to cut through now, but at least he's back to taking a few bottles a day, not the pathetic 150mls at worst he was having on a slow day. He is just the healthiest bub and I'm so, so glad I went this route of expressing for him, but I'm starting to look forward to getting a little more time back. I've set the bar at 13.5mo (12m corrected) that I'll pump till, if I get that far with my dwindling supply.

A 'Hey there' to all the Pumping Mums in the Hub, feel free to come in and say hi. Well, enough Hubbing for me for the night, time to go make a Milo.

Milk, anyone?