+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Centre vs Family Day care

So with the split from XH and me being scared that he will collect DD from daycare and not return her just to hurt me I was thinking of changing her to a home based family day care which is around the corner from my parents place.

If/when we go back home its only a 10 minute drive.

I've never been to a family day care. What's the difference between that and a centre? Do you think its better or worse? I'm looking for pros and cons please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are really different IMO

DS was in fdc for 2 years and I loved it because my carer was amazing, and is now in a centre.

The pros are:-
    - close relationship with the carer/parent/child
    - a lot of communication
    - depending on the age group of kids it can be a very homely environment
    - this is their business/livelihood so I believe they really put more effort

The cons:-
    - sick days = no care
    - holidays = no care
    - they could decide to stop doing fdc
    - you have to really trust the carer

With a centre the biggest thing I found is that it isn't a homely environment. 8 babies in one room isn't 'natural'. A lot of noise. I find the routine is way too early with lunch at 11am (but that's just us!)

In regards to your XH, your centre should have a policy in place which restricts him from picking up your child. If not, specifically write it down that he cannot take the child.

Hope that helps somehow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel87 View Post
    In regards to your XH, your centre should have a policy in place which restricts him from picking up your child. If not, specifically write it down that he cannot take the child.
    I asked them today, as he's listed as a person who's allowed to pick her up and being her bio father, they cannot stop him without a court order.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    if you don't need it for work or study or other set things that a child can.'t attend, fdc could be a suitable option, but I found it unreliable. 3 different carers, the first one would call me at work and I would have 10 minutes to find a replacement then pick dd up, other times I would find her playing on the road, the carer watching tv, thinking dd and her ds were in the back yard, or I would find her playing inappropriate games in her son's bedroom while she was on the computer. Then she decided cc was too hard. The second one went away every school holidays, went away at the last minute giving me notice at 11pm on a sunday via text message, no care for 2 weeks. The third one pulled out before she even started.

Is there a different centre you can use?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will reply with a longer more detailed response soon when ds has gone to school. I have run my own fdc & need to respond to points raised by the 2 pp also as some points they have raised are against regulations.. Fdc can be a wonderful environment but there can also be some negatives, as with a centre..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've had my kids in both FDC & centres.

I HATE centre's, we've tried a few.
    I much prefer FDC where they have the same carer all the time, there isn't staff always off sick & temps in. Carers know the kids so much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe put her in a new centre... No one else is to pick my ds up and i have no court orders! I have never had my child in fdc but have had children come from fdc to the cc i work at.. We find kids regress if they are with younger children.. Speak like them etc.. At least in cc they are with children their own age.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    kel87
    They are really different IMO

DS was in fdc for 2 years and I loved it because my carer was amazing, and is now in a centre.

The pros are:-
    - close relationship with the carer/parent/child
    - a lot of communication
    - depending on the age group of kids it can be a very homely environment
    - this is their business/livelihood so I believe they really put more effort

The cons:-
    - sick days = no care
    - holidays = no care
    - they could decide to stop doing fdc
    - you have to really trust the carer

Ok, I definately agree with the Pros - I finished doing FDC 4yrs ago and still have a fantastic relationship with both some of the parents & children that were in my care. My own son has also been in both before he started school & I honestly can say he learnt much more & was much happier in FDC..

With the Sick day & Hols = No care, this is not the case. If a carer is sick they have to notify the FDC Office who will then try to find an alternative carer for the day/period of time they are sick IF the parents need it. As a carer it is your responsibility to notify the parents & find out who will need alternate care (such as those who are working etc) & arrange either with another carer or thru the office.
    When it comes to holidays, the carer has an obligation to give at least 2wks notice to the families in their care, more if possible. If this is arranged in advance, alternate carer is offered. If you choose not to put your child with an alternate carer then you DO NOT PAY. (Sick days are the same)
    Yes, the carer could choose to stop doing care at anytime, however the amount of time & money involved in setting up & running a FDC from home is quite extensive so most do it for a few yrs at least, many do it for decades.
    You will get to meet the carer you are offered before you decide whether to place your child with them or not. If you are not comfortable with anything, do not put your child into their care. Instead go back to the office, tell them your concerns & request another carer if one is available.

share a book
    if you don't need it for work or study or other set things that a child can.'t attend, fdc could be a suitable option, but I found it unreliable. 3 different carers, the first one would call me at work and I would have 10 minutes to find a replacement then pick dd up, other times I would find her playing on the road, the carer watching tv, thinking dd and her ds were in the back yard, or I would find her playing inappropriate games in her son's bedroom while she was on the computer. Then she decided cc was too hard. The second one went away every school holidays, went away at the last minute giving me notice at 11pm on a sunday via text message, no care for 2 weeks. The third one pulled out before she even started.

SAB - I am really horrified by your experiences.. It does paint a very bleak picture for FDC, but fortunately there is a rare few that DON'T follow the regulations & allow themselves to give everyone else a bad name
    With calling you & giving you 10mins notice to find a replacement - that is not acceptable or permitted. The carer is the one who has to find a replacement carer or they have to hand over to the office. They also cannot give you just 10mins.. They have to stay with your child until you arrive unless you agree to them going to another carer (this is only in the case of life threatening emergencies tho). It doesn't matter if you are going to be even 4hrs, they still have to wait..
    With the carer playing games whilst your dd had made her way to the road - The carer is not allowed out of the childrens sight unless going to the toilet & all gates should have safety locks on them so the children cannot escape. I would have reported this one, it is an offence that the carer would likely be deregistered for & have their licence for FDC revoked. I would be mortified..
    As for notice of holidays, they have to give you minimum of 2-4wks. I have never known ANY carer to do anything as horrendous as these that have been done to you & I know that for majority of carers, they do it because they love children or want to stay home with their own so they put their heart & soul into it.

Anyway, rant finished.. FDC there is a maximum of 5 kids under school age permitted with any one carer at any time (This is changing to max of 4 under school age on 1st Mar or April this year). They can have up to 7 with the balance made up of school age - 12yrs.
    With FDC you only pay for the hrs you decide you want care for. So if you only want care from 9am - 3pm, thats all you pay for & if you need additional hrs (provided the carer can fit the child) then you just pay the casual rate per hour.
    When it comes to learning & development, all FDC Carers do extensive training before they start & continually do courses to keep them learning new methods etc. They also have to undergo police checks, as does everyone that is staying/living in their home for more than 2wks.
    FDC also undergo Quality assurance by the NCAC (National Childcare Accreditation Council), which means every carer has to meet the standards set by NCAC. When it is review time the NCAC goes to the FDC Office checks all of their paperwork etc then once on the road with an FDC Officer they randomly choose 7 carers to go visit with NO NOTICE & check all of their paperwork, their home environment & the interaction with the kids in their care. The regulations for FDC are the EXACT same as those for a Long Day Care Centre so carers have to do everything the same, including the Observations of development & Programming to a childs needs.

I really can't brag enough about Family Day Care, but it is not for everyone. If it wasn't for the fact that I simply cannot get my twins in together with one carer on the same day, I would have them in FDC one day a week rather than a centre. Oh & you also still get the Child Care Benefit & FDC usually works out cheaper because you are only paying for what you need.. Hope this helps to explain the differences. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BabyBears For This Useful Post:

fatheroftwins  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing as I'll be looking in to this soon too.

My main concern with FDC is trust with the carer....I'm paranoid about what happens during the day and if they are taken well care if, interacted with et At least in a centre, there's more people watching so everyone is accountable??

My DS also has allergies, so worried about whether the FDC would be strict/careful enough like a cook at a centre would be. This is the main reason my sister uses a centre, as they have a photo of the kids on the wall with all known allergies etc

I like the family environment concept better, but just nervous I guess...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BabyBears View Post
    kel87

I really can't brag enough about Family Day Care, but it is not for everyone. If it wasn't for the fact that I simply cannot get my twins in together with one carer on the same day, I would have them in FDC one day a week rather than a centre. Oh & you also still get the Child Care Benefit & FDC usually works out cheaper because you are only paying for what you need.. Hope this helps to explain the differences. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions
    Hi 2BabyBears,

Thank you so much for your detailed post above, we are now in the process looking for FDC or CC for our twins so my wife can get a break during the day. I've read in your post saying that you cant get your twins in together with one carer. Is that the because of the regulation?

Regards,

fatheroftwins