+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Trying to figure out my ultrasound results

Hello,

My doctor sent me for blood tests to determine the reason for facial acne and an irregular cycle, and the results showed slightly high cholesterol and testosterone. She then sent me for a pelvic ultrasound to look into the possibility of PCOS (which I have a family history of).

This is what the report says:
    "A TA and TV study has been performed. The uterus is anteverted and normal in size with no focal myometrical abnormality. The endometrium is uniform in echotexture measuring up to 9mm in combined thickness.

Both ovaries have a normal appearance with the right ovary measuring 4cc and the left ovary 10cc in volume. There is a 20mm dominant follicle within the left ovary. Tiny trace of free fluid within the Pouch of Douglas.

Comment: No abnormality identified on this study."

So - I've tried to google what a 'Dominant follicle' is and what it means, but haven't been able to find anything that makes any sense... is that good/bad/indifferent? And is any of this conducive with PCOS or can you think of anything else that it may be?

I'm going back to my doctor tomorrow night but don't want to wait any longer to find out lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pretty sure it just means that's the ovary that is about to release an egg. Sounds good to me! From what I've heard the follicle should measure a minimum of 18mm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought a dominant follicle was where you egg was about to pop from? I'm not up with all the correct lingo but if that was my US report I would take it as meaning I was about to ovulate form my left ovary, hence the size difference?? I wouldn't be concerned.

Good luck tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    At least we both said the same thing Moonie LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hehehe we're either both right or both wrong!

Good luck JR!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It means you are about to ovulate!! And everything else is fine! Nothing to worry about - sounds perfectly healthy to me!! Get bd'ing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep ovulation is probably 12-36 hours away! Dominate follicles usually reach 18mm-22mm in size before popping so it's ready to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha oops I forgot to mention - I'm still on the pill! From what I researched on Google, my understanding was that I was about to ovulate but I thought you don't ovulate on the pill lol?