+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9wk old DS has started crying for me to comfort him

It just started in the past few days and then he falls asleep in my arms. As much as I love it, I don't want it to turn into habit. It's also making it hard to get things done. I could put him in a carrier but I can't do that all the time. Is this normal around this age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All babies are different, but this behaviour is absolutely normal. I am curious as to why you feel that you can't have bub in a carrier all the time? My 13 week old lives attached to me, she's an extremely happy baby, so long as she is on me. She is what some may term a "high needs" baby, but I see her simply as a little person who is in her 4th trimester, and of course she wants to be near me.

I'd be happy to link you up with some babywearing communities if you like. Honestly, I'd be insane if it weren't for babywearing. Try to remember that they don't stay this little and needy for long, they soon grow up and are off exploring the world.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brogeybear For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (20-02-2012),elleandsam  (20-02-2012),Gandalf  (21-02-2012),Witwicky  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    it sounds as though you've had someone in your ear.

They are little for SUCH a short amount of time. Enjoy the cuddles while you can, if it's just housework that needs doing leave it until he's settled.

I held DS all the time. All day and all night. He's now a happy, confident (possibly a bit TOO outgoing actually!), thriving 5 year old.

Look up 'attachment theory' - I believe it's actually better for little ones to be in a 'habit' of being attached to and have their needs met by their primary caregiver than for them to be in a habit of being left to their own devices. You say you love it, and you're posting here, so I believe you should listen to your instincts.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (20-02-2012),Gandalf  (21-02-2012),magic star  (21-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-02-2012),Witwicky  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At that age dd was attached to me or dh. I agree with the above, bubs that little just want there mummy close For what it's with, dd is 18 months and very independent, her being attached and me giving her comfort when she was little (and still now) hasn't affected that at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some babies need to held more, some don't. My DD1 only had day sleeps in my arms (or whoever else wanted to hold her) for the first year of her life. She was an awesome night sleeper so we never stressed about making her sleep by herself in a cot during the day. I'm not really someone who has to get things done so it never bothered me. I would just read my novels or catch up on my sleep. I did things like washing clothes, prepping dinner and doing the dishes with her in a carrier. I'm lucky that my husband is very supportive and also quite capable around the house and with the babies. Once she got older and had more awake time I would bring her with me as I did my chores. Eventually she got to a stage where I could just lay beside her & she would sleep on a mattress on the floor and I could leave her to it. One day she decided that she would have her day sleeps in her cot and that was that. My DD2 is the opposite and I really miss the cuddle time. DD1 is busy busy busy too busy for big snuggles with Mum. As for normal I have no idea, I wouldn't know where to look for that info (apart from bubhub lol) We have gone with the flow of our babies without regard to "bad" habits & mythical rods for our backs and so far it is working for us, we have 2 calm, happy, non clingy, well rested babies. All babies are different and we are flexible as to what each of our children will need from us even if we want/need something different. I would love to sit & cuddle DD2 while she sleeps but she fusses until I put her down and leave her to it They are little for such a short time & 9 weeks is still so very very new to this world.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beccacino For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with everything posted here. I wear my DS a lot of the time. He loves it, I love it and yep, my house looks like a tip some days but you know what? Who cares? I'd much rather get as many cuddles out of my little boy than have a clean house. More important for him and more important for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    14 week old DS is asleep in my arms right now he wants to be held most of the day and is quite content so long as he's on me. He's less comfy in the hug a bub now that he's heavier but I just figure it out. We also cosleep at night. This time passes quickly - as pp have said, enjoy the cuddles!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It just started in the past few days and then he falls asleep in my arms. As much as I love it, I don't want it to turn into habit. It's also making it hard to get things done. I could put him in a carrier but I can't do that all the time. Is this normal around this age?
    Absolutely normal. My son wanted me and I, as his mother, was there for him whenever he needed me. I loved it. That's what mothering is about.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They really are little for such a short time. Those cuddles will be some of your fondest memories and are a great excuse to put your feet up and look after yourself as well. Far out I miss having a sleeping baby in my arms! The thought makes me clucky even though my toddler needs all I've got to give at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds normal to me. It can be frustrated feeling like they need you so much and you don't get any time to get anything done. This too shall pass and then you'll miss it.

I second babywearing.