Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    SIL is a primary teacher, i think she's even the assistant principal or deputy whichever its referred to.

she is the kind of person i think is book smart but not street and socially smart.
    it blows me away the things she comes out with sometimes.
    she thought china and bangkok were in hongkong. she also had no idea what the great wall of china was and if it were just a wall why anyone would want to see it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    No I don't think her uni does many exams at all and she didn't do any for high school. She teaches IT and religion. I don't take issue with the fact that someone with learning difficulties, with the right assistance such as a longer exam period could do anything. What I mean is that she actually isn't intelligent. She just seems to lack any knowledge of anything besides perhaps IT. She doesn't understand the world, she doesn't know how to speak to people..she just says things which are unthinkable such as "I don't see why slavery was a bad thing." and then when I explained slavery to her she said "but basically they got free food and board right?" I know when she did her prac that she was constantly under scrutiny for classroom management but she did still pass. I guess perhaps she has some book smarts I have never realised.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk
    I think she sounds like she would be extremely frustrating to have a conversation with!! Hopefully you're right and there are some hidden talents there and she is good at communicating knowledge about topics she is well versed in (though her communication skills don't sound great )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Imagine if she taught modern history

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put so much effort in at uni too but it meant nothing. It took me over 9 months to find a part time job teaching secondary students (after having a baby) & I have both a Bachelors & Masters degrees! One of my friends who graduated with me took 2 years to find full time work!!

There are also a range of different teaching degrees, such as diplomas to doctorates. Most teaching degrees don't have many exams, however this is usually compensated with a lot of assessment during practical teaching rounds, creating teaching portfolios, assignments etc.

It certainly is a profession that has left me shaking my head! I understand there are people who you could "question" in many professions out there, but given the immense responsibility that teachers hold in the palm of their hands, it makes me wonder how some people got to where they are now. From my experience, its an extremely network type business, where its all about who you know, not what you know..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blonde Assassin For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Imagine if she taught modern history
    Ah! I hope that would never happen and knows she has at least some limitations

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    So many of my friends became teachers. Some were BORN to teach, they are amazing with the kids and you can tell they are made for it. Others.... others should get a job where they don't have to speak to anyone. One posted on facebook the other day "I WISH THESE KIDS CAME TO ME KNOWING THEIR COLOURS! SO FUSTATING FOR ME!" (that's how she spelt frustrating btw.)

She teaches prep. *sigh*

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh, I think we have the same friend! I have NO idea how this person became a teacher.

Actually I know a few young people who are teachers and I would never want any of them teaching my children. Not in a million years. One of them is heavily into the partying and drug-taking scene and is very disrespectful toward women - he teaches at a private boys school.

All three of them are appalling at basic spelling and grammar. I don't mean lazy text talk either, they genuinely can't spell. It find it quite concerning!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before I start can i just say that in no way do I think Teaching is an easy job or that all teachers are dumb, far from it I have a lot of respect for the teaching profession.

However I work in the university system and deal with a large variety of different courses and students. Of all the courses we deal with education is notorious for being an 'easy' course. The grades given out in this course are always much higher than other courses and the entry score required to study teaching is generally the lowest of all the courses we offer.

This being said there are some wonderful teachers that have come out of this course. You do not have to be a genius to be a great teacher, you need a lot more than just book smarts. If this person is teaching early childhood or primary she is probably not teaching content like Nazi Germany so it does not really matter that she is not full bottle on it iykwim.

In all honesty it is possible to 'fluke' your way through just about any undergraduate degree, they are more often than not less rigorous than thoese on the outside perceive them to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can stumble your way through a degree. I did law at a decent uni, and as long as you could memorise content and vaguely apply it, you could write your answers in dot form with spelling and grammar mistakes and still pass.

Assignments you could just get other people to proof read.

I once worked with a trainee lawyer who was incompetent. Couldn't string a proper sentence together and lacked logic. She practices though.

I imagine education is the same. Compounding that the entry score for education at some unis is really low.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

naebie  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In all honesty it is possible to 'fluke' your way through just about any undergraduate degree, they are more often than not less rigorous than thoese on the outside perceive them to be.
    Let's see you fluke medicine honey.

Gee, you lot aren't judgemental are you? *lol* Not a lot of you have ever completed a teaching degree (and some of you clearly no degree at all) and yet the assumptions and generalisations are coming in thick and fast.

OP, do you have many friends? Because you're not being very nice to the ones you do have. If you think it takes virtually no effort to become a teacher, why not contribute to society and become one?

Honestly. This place is a viper's nest at times.