+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New as SAHM

We are moving in Sydney and I will stay at home with my 2 DDs 2 yrs old and 8 months old. It will be my 1st time to be a SAHM. Any tips to manage being alone with 2 kids plus maintaining a house please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find i have to be organised.
    I have school & kindy pickups / dropoffs to so I make sure i do as much as possible when my boys are at school / kindy.

My kids are at an age where i give them little jobs for pocket money so they make their bed, washing in basket, dishes in sink so every little bit helps.

Also when they are in bed, i make their lunches, pack the dishwasher, wipe down kitchen, mop floors, clothes in washer and iron.

Please dont ever forget that if you are tired or sick that the housework can always wait, that your health is far more important.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet Tooth For This Useful Post:

Danigail  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I generally spend 30mins a day just doing a general tidy up. I have storage boxes for toys and pull a different box out daily for my girls. Keeps things organised and reduces the amount of toys you have to pick up.

Also I go to different parks always going to different play cafes on hot/wet days. We also go to Kindergym each week and I get a half day break from miss 3 on thursdays for a little down time to spend one on one with miss 7month old. Join mothers groups in the area to. It's always nice meeting other mothers.

I find online food shopping to be a life saver to. So that leaves me with a bit more time to do things with the girls or around the house. And I dont have to deal with the tantrums of I want I want I want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Missemzy For This Useful Post:

Danigail  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New duty statement, how exciting

Have your kids been looked after by DH or in child care or looked after by their grandma?

I ask this because your kids might expect a routine that is similar to what's gone before. It might make it easier to replicate that routine in the short term while you three adapt to the new arrangements.

Depending on what sort of work you've been doing and your work colleagues, you might find toddlers and their mess easier!

For me the biggest difference was learning to go with the flow but to strictly keep some fixed deadlines, such as 'all hands to the kitchen, if we don't start making dinner now, the whole evening schedule will run late'. Also, learning that nothing is ever finished, it's a cycle rather than a project to be managed. I also had to learn to be constantly interrupted and not mind at all. And to microwave a cup of tea several times before I managed to finish it.

I'm sure you'll do great

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pru40 For This Useful Post:

Danigail  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with what has been suggested here so far.

My little 'rules' are:

1: Do what you can, when you can.

2: Shrug off what you didn't get time for - tomorrow is a new day.

3: Get out into the land of the living - playgroup, mothers group, ymca, pcyc etc. Whatever suits your needs.

4: Time spent playing with your kids is the most valuable activity you do as a sahm. This is a priority - cleaning comes somewhere after this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

Danigail  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow! Thanks, everyone. I am intimidated but i'll see how it goes. I've always been a full time working mom and I leave Dd1 and DD2 with a nanny. We won't have any families in Sydney and dh will work late. I'm planning to put dd1 (27 months) in daycare someday but I don't know when. She does not get comfortable with new people easily.

I will surely revisit this forum to remind me of your suggestions.