+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yes this is a minefield! For some reason or another I have found that a lot of mums get really touchy when it comes to routine.
    As the others above me said, it looks like you are pretty on top of things and doing a great job
    For what it's worth though.......
    I have had my one year old on Tizzie Hall's routines since he was 5 months old. It is pretty strict but the good thing is she is against CC which was a win for me as like you I couldn't cope to watch my bub crying and do nothing. Instead she teaches you how to learn the difference between protest crys and emotional crys.
    I think Tizzie Hall is an investment of time on your part, you really have to put in to teach your baby how to SS and sleep but it's totally worth it!

I LOVE her routines and have a baby who sleeps 12 hours at night every night, 1.5 - 2.5 hours in the day, he self settles, eats lots of food sat at his high chair like a good boy and all in all is a happy little man.

For kids a routine is everything, they love to know what is going to come next.

Good luck

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thedudeabides For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love Tizzie Halls book but I don't follow her routines. I found it way too stressful at the beginning and I struggled keeping DS awake. The only thing I did follow was the 7pm train. I put him to bed at 7pm every night, no later (unless we're out.) I made sure there were no lights or activity at night, fed him, burped him and put him straight to bed.
    He's now 8 months old, takes a nap every 2 hours. I don't let him take a nap past 5pm and he goes to bed at 7pm. He takes 3 naps a day.
    I follow his cues but I've given little things a nudge here and there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 16 weeks today - he used to behave exactly like your son is at the moment, snacking and napping and his sleeps were anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours during the day. I was really concerned he wasn't getting enough sleep which could potentially effect his learning and development.
    I had similar concerns with Tizzie's methods in terms of listening to him cry, and keeping him up for more than an hour and a half in case he got really overtired, but after a nerve wracking first attempt, I am pleased to say the result has been positive.
    We have been trialling Tizzie Hall's routine for his age group since Monday and it has honestly worked wonders - he now has two two hour sleeps during the day, one 45 minute nap and sleeps for a 6 hour period at night - minimum.
    Having said that, it is always best to work out what works for you and your child - what works for us doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you unfortunately!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As the pp's have said you have to listen to your baby's cues when working out a routine.

As soon as you mention routine on here you will be bombarded with strong opinions for and against them, mostly from those against them. I believe this is because as soon as you say routine everyone thinks set times, ie. 7am wake, 11am sleep etc, but a routine doesn't have to be based on set times (in my experience this causes alot of stress trying to stick to them). Rather can be based on a guide of time frames, ie. wake, feed, play, 1.5 hours after waking sleep etc.

In regards to tizzie hall I have never understood the opinions on here where they believe she says you have to let the baby cry until the designated time for feeds, sleep etc.

I have read that book front to back several times and no where have I read this. And at no time does it say to ignore an emotional cry.

I don't have a problem with her as I think people just need to use common sense, if your baby is crying because they are hungry but it is still an hour until they are due to be fed, feed them and adapt the routine accordingly.

While I say I don't have a problem with her I don't follow her routine to a T as DS (5months) doesn't stay awake, sleep as long as the routine says, instead we use it as a guide.

Just listen to your instincts. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with pp!! Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Just remember tizzie isn't the only one that has a routine and settle methods out there. Do some research. I found rowena Bennett and sheyne rowley helpful too.
    Last edited by Stac84; 22-03-2013 at 10:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I tried it with DD2 and it is a super strict routine. I wouldnt use it again I became very anxious if for some reason something interfered with the routine. If I was out I had to rush home to stick to the routine and I annoyed everyone! We didn't use it for long. It can involve a lot of crying...I regret having ever used it (but I blame my sleep deprived induced insanity at the time!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katie1414 View Post
    My son is 16 weeks today - he used to behave exactly like your son is at the moment, snacking and napping and his sleeps were anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours during the day. I was really concerned he wasn't getting enough sleep which could potentially effect his learning and development.
    I had similar concerns with Tizzie's methods in terms of listening to him cry, and keeping him up for more than an hour and a half in case he got really overtired, but after a nerve wracking first attempt, I am pleased to say the result has been positive.
    We have been trialling Tizzie Hall's routine for his age group since Monday and it has honestly worked wonders - he now has two two hour sleeps during the day, one 45 minute nap and sleeps for a 6 hour period at night - minimum.
    Having said that, it is always best to work out what works for you and your child - what works for us doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you unfortunately!
    This thread is from Feb 2012, so the OPs son would be over a year old now

I'm not a big Tizzie fan myself, but i say- do whatever works!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This thread is from Feb 2012, so the OPs son would be over a year old now

I'm not a big Tizzie fan myself, but i say- do whatever works!
    I didn't even see that. Lol. Wonder how she got on.