+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tizzie Hall routine questions

My bub is 12 weeks old and I'm thinking about trying the Tizzie Hall routine for him. However he only stays awake for 1 to 1.5 hour between naps, longer than that he'll be really overtired. He also feeds very irregularly during the day somewhere from 1-3 hours apart and starts to get distracted by his surrounding and only snacking. He also wakes 5-6 times at night for feeding.

Have someone had a similar situation but manage to ease into TH routine?

PS. I can't stand him crying more than 2 mins, if he cries I just pick him up. Does that mean TH routine is not for me?

ta

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    you seem to have worked out what works for you and your baby, i would keep listening to him rather than try to change his natural routine into one devised by someone who hasn't met either of you.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-03-2013),Etienne  (21-02-2012),lovesushi  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best of luck to you, this is a minefield and you will be bombarded with opinions!

Whatever you do, please research carefully the pros and cons of Tizzie Hall's (and other similar) methods. It's not for everyone - and is perfect for some. Only you will know deep down if it's for you. If in doubt, just wait a while before implimenting - it will come to you whether you should or shouldn't.

There is a lot of pressure to have some sort of routine/method/magically sleeping baby but it is not always so black and white, so don't be hard on yourself or expect a quick solution.

Good luck lovesushi!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried the TH routine and it just didn't work for us. It is such a strict routine with no give or take and I started feeling down when we couldn't follow it to a T like she wants. I just started going with the flow and we got into our own routine. I think the TH routine puts a lot of pressure on parents. Maybe look up pinky McKay I have two of her books, she has more of a go with the flow, no cry approach =)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tazzy For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think trying to make someone elses routine work for you may cause more disruption to bub's and stress on you (if it wont work the way TH explains it).
    You sound like you already have some sort of routine. Keep following your baby's cues. It's still early days. Young babies cry and need to know you will come to them if they do so....and you are doing that!
    I found Feed, Play, Sleep routine helped me out in the early days. At night i eliminated the play, of course.

Goodluck you are doing great

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Humphreyisapuppet For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses. Bub already has his own routine although his day naps can vary any where from 20 mins to 3 hours, yes he can sleep that long if he has the breast in his mouth and wakes up cooing cheerfully And it's more like Feed - Play - Feed - Sleep because he normally snacks instead of taking a full feed. Night time is exhausting because he wakes every 1 to 2 hours. I was just wondering if having a more strict routine would improve his sleeping & snack feeding habit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest reading Tizzie's book and getting a few tips from it but don't follow it too strictly. There's nothing wrong with wanting to comfort your upset baby. Maybe try putting him in his cot/bassinet and patting him to sleep instead of leaving him alone to cry it out. ?

Just read your previous post... The routine might help with snacking and catnapping. Maybe just give it a try and see if it works for you and DS.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mill; 20-02-2012 at 11:29.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mill For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (20-02-2012),Turk EnJayDee  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Bub already has his own routine although his day naps can vary any where from 20 mins to 3 hours, yes he can sleep that long if he has the breast in his mouth and wakes up cooing cheerfully And it's more like Feed - Play - Feed - Sleep because he normally snacks instead of taking a full feed. Night time is exhausting because he wakes every 1 to 2 hours. I was just wondering if having a more strict routine would improve his sleeping & snack feeding habit.
    ....i know how annoying snack feeding can be at 3am etc, but u just need to persevere and go with him. Sound like he is using you for a comfort feed also.
    My DD used to snack feed all the time, i fed on demand and thought it was weird how she CONSTANTLY was feeding lol (first baby, i was clueless)
    So i saw a LC and she told me that when she pulled off after 5mins or so ....that's it. Put the boobs away, dummy in, wrap and try and settle her off to sleep. Try a feed in another hour, when she will hopefully be ravenous. Sometimes id put her down and walk away so she couldnt smell me. But would only let her cry for no more than 2mins. (i just needed a break)

Do what will work for you - talk with your MCN. A lactation consultant saved my sanity - I found out that the snack feeds did not help with my supply. And she was snack feeding because she was not getting enough "good milk".

I still believe you are doing everything right, you dont really need to be strict with a 12week old - but thats just me. But i think you really need to get on top of the snack feeds?
    Dont get me wrong, comfort feeds are great! and only breastfeeders have that genius trick to settle our bubs! I used comfort feeds to send DD off to sleep next to me in the early days. Nothing wrong with it.

Goodluck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Humphreyisapuppet For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (21-02-2012)

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just browsing through and saw this thread... I just wanted to suggest a pearl of wisdom that was suggested to me at a sleep clinic while my DD was 3 months old. She was a terrible snacker but the nurses suggested I use a 45 min time frame for my feeds. This meant that I fed her until she was over it, and within the 45 min time frame I offerred it to her again. This seemed to work wonders for us and eventually she just stopped snacking and had a decent feed and huzzah slept a little longer at night... After the feed was over we would play for a while until we observed her "tired signs" and then i would wrap her and put her down awake. In the beginning she cried, and i went in a soothed her, mostly without picking her up (ie patting, ssshhing etc) but if she got really worked up (and this happened a fair bit) I would pick her up, calm her and then put her down again. After a while she got the hang of it. I never "left her to cry" I was always there, and eventually she learnt to settle herself to sleep.

I read TH's book and some things I found useful, some I didn't. We had a terrible time for the first 3 months, I had PND and it was just a mess. I think the wonderful nurses at the clinic saved me!

At the end of the day you need to do what works for you and your bub... Good luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jbish For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies Somehow it's good to know I'm not alone in this. Will try your suggestions.