+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 4yr old gross motor delay?

Hubby thinks our 4yr old DD (was 4 last Oct) needs to get assessed to get 'help' with some gross motor skills.
    Despite having a great backyard with plenty to do, going to Little Athletics for the last 2 seasons (not really improving much) and having a busy activity based schedule she cannot;
    * Hop (technically ive seen her once before do it but she can't seem to replicate it!)
    * Run and then jump without having to stop. Such as running upto a high jump mat and jumping on it, or a long jump or small hurdles (at little athletics)
    * She is not the best with balance either

She didn't really jump with two feet on the spot until about 3 or peddle a bike either. (although does these well now)

She is very bright and has excellent fine motor skills with drawing and writing and doing jigsaw puzzles well beyond her age range. However hubby is quite concerned. I'm not so much figuring she will catch up, I'd be more worried if her cognitive development was delayed. We have just started Kindergym this term and I'm thinking that will help her to.

What do you think? Should I be worried?

Just to add our 2yr old son (was 2 in Dec) can't jump either or can't peddle a tricycle..... Is he behind also? See she was the same at his age and I wasnt particularly worried. Perhaps I should have been? Can a gross motor delay be in siblings? (hubby is very athletic and sporty but I'm not!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3yr old son goes to physio occupational therapy speech etc I think it's best to get checked as she is 4 and will be going to school within 2 yrs always better to be safe and get checked than sorry you didn't do it sooner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4 year old sees occupational therapist fortnightly.. She should be able to hop, run, walk up steps with alternate feet. My son didn't know how to peddle a bike until his 4th birthday. She sounds OK.. Maybe just get it checked out if she seems uncoordinated in general.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd5 is the same. Still struggles with hoping and the run jump even after doing tumblering for the last 2 yrs. She did have a gross motor delay, only walked at 2 by 3 still couldn't run or jump. She had physio when younger but once she learnt to walk they said she would just need to do a sport/activity to help her keep developing. It might sound strange but the thing I find that is different is where other kids seem to work out how to run jump hop or even get dressed by themselves she can't seem to work it out unless she is shown step by step. If it makes you feel better dd2 who is 2 whilst not as far behind is defiantly no sporting star either. Takes lots of different types to make the world both my daughters sing in perfect pitch they 2 yo sings the whole sound track to Annie!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Def get her assessed by an OT. You wont regret it.

My sons cant ride a bike either due to low muscle tone. It upsets my 7.5yr old so much, but.. Its just not his fault.

Better to get help now before school starts