+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Clueless about Breastfeeding...

Hi everyone, I have never wanted to breastfeed... I'm not against it, I just prefered not to for my own reasons... my son is now 11 and I fomula fed him and I was planning to do the same this time.... needless to say I'm totally clueless about it because I've never wanted to know anything about it...

However, the last few days, I've been wondering what it's like to breastfeed... not for a long time, but my husband made a comment about just doing it for a couple of days, so the baby gets the initial "goodness"... I'm still not totally sold on the idea, but I'm beginning to be open up to the thought of it...

So my initial questions are: Is it OK to breastfeed just for a couple of days? How many days would be best? How would I then wean the baby from breast to formula after those few days?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, it's great you're considering breastfeeding.
    I think any amount of breastfeeding would be beneficial for your baby. You could contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association and check out their website.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    of course its fine to bf for just a few days, what ever you are comfortable with! usually your milk 'comes in' day 3/4 so that a good goal. id then start offering bottles as well as boob (or mixing formula and expressed milk), and wean slowly to prevent mastitis and pain!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Any amount of breastfeeding is awesome! I'm not really sure how to go about weaning onto a bottle as I've never done it myself but I'm sure someone else could answer that for you.

Sorry I've been distracted and I can't remember what else you asked..

Eta I think maybe just aim for small steps, one feed at a time and see how your feeling I think setting a limit or advanced goal could potentially hold you back or push you too far. Some good advice I was given when I was struggling with DS1 was to give it one more feed (or day, depending on where you are) before making a decision. Small steps
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 19-02-2012 at 18:44.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I initially didn't want to BF, but decided to give it a go for a few days, it was too painfull so i decided to switch to formula. I had no problem with weaning, on the 5th day I offered DS a bottle and he took it no problem, for the next few days he had formula and EBM, then eventually just formula.

Deff give it a go, you may find that you have no problems at all and continue for longer than expected. As pp's have said, any amount is beneficial, especially the colostrum, for the first few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very open minded with my first and gave it a go, but my milk just wasn't enough for DD and she was losing weight. I'd been expressing colostrum for about 3 weeks before I had her (as I had gestational diabetes and the lactation consultant at the hospital said there was some study that showed this was extra beneficial to babies born to mothers with GDM) so as soon as she was born she was given this, but, because of my GDM she was born with low blood sugar and so the first thing they did was feed her formula!!! Apparently she threw it all back up (my DP was with her in special care). Anyway I'm waffling... So I tried to express and saw lactation consultants and got man-handled in every way, before someone eventually admitted she needed formula. Being a new mum I was completely in their hands. I felt terribly guilty but also was glad I'd expressed that colostrum before.
    So for this one I'm going to try to breastfeed but if it is only for a week or 2 then that's fine by me.
    So in answer to your question (finally) - go for it and take it feed by feed. I just made sure I massaged my boobs in the shower to make sure there were no lumps and to get rid of any extra milk.
    DD was formula fed from 2 weeks and is a thriving 3yr old - who won't stop eating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good for you! Why not give it a go!

I would aim for 3-4 days as others said... those are the collostrum days and that stuff is liquid gold! After that if you want to stop you'll have to slowly wean... the hospital midwives should be able to tell you how to do it. And if the slow weaning isn't working quick enough apparently there are tablets you can take to dry up the supply.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mill For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Find out if your hospital has a breastfeeding class. i went to one when i was pregnant, and getting the info before baby arrived helped me in the early days.