+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I dont expect it, but I always assume people will be drinking.
    I never assume or expect it will be supplied though. I dont drink anyway so its never an issue for me, and if DP feels like drinking he will always pick up something on the way.

this for me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My concern is that when kids are in mid-primary school, it's more drop and run than when they are younger, and if we turned up at a party to find alcohol, I would leave immediately with dd. If I found out after the fact I would be very upset.
    sad that i have to reinforce it but obviously if i was in charge of other people's children i wouldn't be drinking.....

our children's parties are either big events and the parents stay as we cater for them (and live rurally so dropping off is not logical) or small family get togethers.
    similarly when my son goes to other kids birthdays i prefer to stay with him and enjoy it too, meet a few other parents.

i tend not to 'drop my kids and run' at houses if i don't know the parents
    Last edited by halloweendee; 20-02-2012 at 11:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    sad that i have to reinforce it but obviously if i was in charge of other people's children i wouldn't be drinking.....

our children's parties are either big events and the parents stay as we cater for them (and live rurally so dropping off is not logical) or small family get togethers.
    similarly when my son goes to other kids birthdays i prefer to stay with him and enjoy it too, meet a few other parents.

i tend not to 'drop my kids and run' at houses if i don't know the parents
    It's not obvious. People have even said on here they will still have a drink or 2 when a school friend is sleeping over. And yes, when kids are older (over 7) not many parents stay unless the know the birthday child's parents.

Other hubbers have also stated that alcohol was present so the child couldn't stay, or worse - they find out AFTER that alcohol is present. So no, it is not obvious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I would expect it to be there. I dunno why but its just the way it has always been for us. Even if you arent going to drink the offer is just as good

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not obvious. People have even said on here they will still have a drink or 2 when a school friend is sleeping over. And yes, when kids are older (over 7) not many parents stay unless the know the birthday child's parents.

Other hubbers have also stated that alcohol was present so the child couldn't stay, or worse - they find out AFTER that alcohol is present. So no, it is not obvious.
    guess it's just obvious to me since i have said none of those things.

hence the confusion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't ever see anything wrong with a couple of drinks. It doesn't impair you. I have been served alcohol at kids parties and I will do the same.

I don't get why some people see alcohol as such a bad thing. Drinks do not equal drunk, at least not in my group. I think smoking around kids is FAR worse but wouldn't not take my kids somewhere if there were smokers. I'd just hope and trust it was done as far away from the kids as possible.

Perhaps if you have a bad relationship with alcohol personally or have been effected it by it negatively in the past it is more of an issue? I have no idea I'm just guessing. And I guess if you've never been around it you might not "trust" it either iykwim.

It'll be interesting to see how these things work when I have kids at party age I.e with school friends. If it really was an issue for lots of other parents I would certainly consider a dry party. It's not that big a deal and my child's party is more important. But I honestly have never heard anyone I know think that type of thing is an issue before.
    Last edited by kw123; 20-02-2012 at 14:15.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't let my child be around smokers either. We recently lost a friend to cancer, never smoked in his life but was exposed to it, which led to cancer. As Beryl's mum said, you might be responsible, but other parents might not know that, and certainly wouldn't know that of the other guests.

Also, depending on the person, a drink or 2 CAN impair you. It's naive to think otherwise. I would not risk it, and am surprised so many others would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't let my child be around smokers either. We recently lost a friend to cancer, never smoked in his life but was exposed to it, which led to cancer. As Beryl's mum said, you might be responsible, but other parents might not know that, and certainly wouldn't know that of the other guests.

Also, depending on the person, a drink or 2 CAN impair you. It's naive to think otherwise. I would not risk it, and am surprised so many others would.
    I don't allow smokers to smoke around my children either (or myself actually). Not only do I consider it a disgusting habit, but secondary smoke is dangerous.

My children are younger than yours, and nowadays I only leave them with family, who of course I know very well. Previously when we didn't have family around they were occasionally minded at night by paid babysitters - I would not expect these babysitters to drink. If my children stay with a grandmother, aunt/uncle I don't mind if they have a glass of wine, in fact I normally make sure that I have wine and dinner available to my family person babysitting. It is not naive of me to think that they aren't impaired by their glass of wine with dinner. I trust them implicitly and consider it zero risk. Yes different story if an older child is going for a sleepover at a friends house - but again for me that won't happen unless I know the family and have been invited to events their myself for at least primary school years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont expect alcohol at a get together but it would be nice if more ppl remembered water for the guests.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (20-02-2012),Luna Lovegood  (20-02-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (20-02-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (20-02-2012),share a book  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I don't allow smokers to smoke around my children either (or myself actually). Not only do I consider it a disgusting habit, but secondary smoke is dangerous.

My children are younger than yours, and nowadays I only leave them with family, who of course I know very well. Previously when we didn't have family around they were occasionally minded at night by paid babysitters - I would not expect these babysitters to drink. If my children stay with a grandmother, aunt/uncle I don't mind if they have a glass of wine, in fact I normally make sure that I have wine and dinner available to my family person babysitting. It is not naive of me to think that they aren't impaired by their glass of wine with dinner. I trust them implicitly and consider it zero risk. Yes different story if an older child is going for a sleepover at a friends house - but again for me that won't happen unless I know the family and have been invited to events their myself for at least primary school years.
    What I am saying is that if your child attends a birthday party with a school friend as a child, even a teen, you might know the host well enough to know a drink or 2 won't affect them, same with your family, like I am with my mum, but you might not know how alcohol will affect the mother/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/cousin of the host. So it is naive to assume a drink or 2 won't affect anyone because we all know at least 1 Cadbury drinker.