+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah it is just "the done thing" between our group of friends / family.

Whoever is hosting supplies beer and wine and if you want something else its BYO.

We have spirits at our house as well so people generally just help themselves. We also enjoy mixing our cocktails.

At both of our sons birthdays so far there has been alcohol supplied by us and both sides of the family and close friends have enjoyed it.

No friends from kindy / school just family / close friends.

If i had school / kindy friends I would tone down the drinking/alcohol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I never really 'expect' it, it's usually a given though.

I would definitely expect it at a wedding. Was it a dry bar or were guests allowed to purchase drinks themselves?
    No bar. One had the ceremony in a church, and the reception directly followed in the church grounds. Another had a church ceremony followed by the ceremony in a hired hall. Another was a park wedding and the ceremony was on a sportsfield. None of them had a bar, nor was it BYO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post

Whoever is hosting supplies beer and wine and if you want something else its BYO.

We have spirits at our house as well so people generally just help themselves. We also enjoy mixing our cocktails.

At both of our sons birthdays so far there has been alcohol supplied by us and both sides of the family and close friends have enjoyed it.

It makes me happy that the few parties dd has been invited to parties they have been in places where alcohol is not permitted. Children's skating rink, play centre. I would be very uncomfortable if I found out there was alcohol at a children's party she attended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

this is us!!!

everyone we know drinks, and while we always have beer, wine and spirits on offer at our house everyone tends to byo as well.
    if we went somewhere else, we would byo too.

we have alcohol available at kids birthdays. i don't see it as bad, it's not like we are forcing anyone to drink. those that do, have a few drinks and behave responsibly. hubby is a chef and i teach hospitality - to us it wouldn't feel right not to have alcohol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I never really 'expect' it, it's usually a given though.

I would definitely expect it at a wedding. Was it a dry bar or were guests allowed to purchase drinks themselves?
    I've been to a lot of dry weddings.

The receptions have been held at island resorts, RSLs, church halls, restaurants...

They're always awesome, lots of fun and way less drama than other weddings I've been to. They also wrap up around 10pm which is nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely expect alcohol at an adults get together in the afternoon/evening and would notice if there was none. I don't expect hosts to provide it though.

I have been to one dry wedding (religious reasons) - one of DHs friends. We were only dating at that stage and I had to sit with my inlaws by myself all night as DH was best man. Longest night of my life!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not at all.

I dont really drink.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    entirely depends on the occasion

- dinner parties/bbq/ just a get together at night time ... yes we usually have beer and wine

- lunch - sometimes we will have wine, but often not

- at a park - sometimes we will have wine

- at a kids birthday party ... no

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    this is us!!!

everyone we know drinks, and while we always have beer, wine and spirits on offer at our house everyone tends to byo as well.
    if we went somewhere else, we would byo too.

we have alcohol available at kids birthdays. i don't see it as bad, it's not like we are forcing anyone to drink. those that do, have a few drinks and behave responsibly. hubby is a chef and i teach hospitality - to us it wouldn't feel right not to have alcohol.
    My concern is that when kids are in mid-primary school, it's more drop and run than when they are younger, and if we turned up at a party to find alcohol, I would leave immediately with dd. If I found out after the fact I would be very upset.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

This is my circle too - there wouldn't be alcohol at a kids party that is an after school thing, or a morning event, but at a family gathering or close friend gathering that also was for a kids birthday - sure why not. Basically everyone I know is a sensible drinker. No one gets blotto a a BBQ on a Sunday night for example...