+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I've been served alcohol at every childrens birthday party i've ever been to. It hasn't been a 'getting on it' kind of thing, the crowd I generally associate with are all huge 'winos', so we enjoy a glass of vino on most occasions (a lot of them are European so for them it's a cultural thing as well).
    This is me too. But we're not European.

Not a lot of my close friends have kids either so she is usually the only one, unless its a child's bday party or something, but yes, we always have a few drinks when we get together. And i always have a drink at DDs birthdays as i am not only celebrating her day of birth but also the day I gave birth! Oh, and we all smoke! Looks like not many of you would come to my parties though haha.

I think the funniest though was DDs bday at the zoo when I got in trouble for smoking while my 2 best mates had open bourbon cans. We recently found out the zoo is non smoking but licensed, spun me out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm years away from these kinds of parties, but it seems odd that people serve alcohol at drop and run parties. Who is there to drink it if parents leave?

Growing up I don't ever remember adults at those parties (other than the parents of birthday child) so there was no alcohol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

For those who said you also dont let your kids be around smoke, would you also turn around and take them home if there was an adult at the party smoking outside?

I'm honestly genuinely asking as I would never in a million years have thought this as an issue. I hate smoking as does DH but we don't mind friends doing it outside if they come round.
    When it comes to smoking I have no qualms about asking people to refrain from doing it around children. Look 97% of the places I go, and 98% of the people I know are not smokers. The few smokers I know, know they are not welcome to smoke around us. If person is smoking at a sports ground with children or a playground I ask them to move. I don't care if it is legal or not - mostly the person knows it is a bad habit and bad to do around kids, if they get their back up then I relocate my children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    When it comes to smoking I have no qualms about asking people to refrain from doing it around children. Look 97% of the places I go, and 98% of the people I know are not smokers. The few smokers I know, know they are not welcome to smoke around us. If person is smoking at a sports ground with children or a playground I ask them to move. I don't care if it is legal or not - mostly the person knows it is a bad habit and bad to do around kids, if they get their back up then I relocate my children.
    I 100% agree with this and do this now while I am pregnant, or I move if that's more practical. And I would always ask guests at my house not to smoke anywhere near the kids. But that's a bit different than not letting them stay at a party because there were smokers.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post

Not a lot of my close friends have kids either so she is usually the only one, unless its a child's bday party or something, but yes, we always have a few drinks when we get together. And i always have a drink at DDs birthdays as i am not only celebrating her day of birth but also the day I gave birth! Oh, and we all smoke! Looks like not many of you would come to my parties though haha.

I think the funniest though was DDs bday at the zoo when I got in trouble for smoking while my 2 best mates had open bourbon cans. We recently found out the zoo is non smoking but licensed, spun me out.
    Yeah i'm not European either, so my love of vino can't be blamed on that

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I'm talking about older kids with school friends where you don't stay, and may not know the parents well, especially if they attend before and after school care so you would rarely see the parents at all. Or would they only be allowed to go if you know the parents well enough to also be invited?
    I won't ever drop and leave them. Even if I know the parent well, I don't know which other adults will be attending...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post

ha ha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    for those who wont ever drop and leave...

how old are your kids?

My 9 year old is always going to parties, and you cannot stay. Like movies, slot cars, soccer parties...there is usually a small area and taken up by the birthday childs, family..
    So what would you do in that instance?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    for those who wont ever drop and leave...

how old are your kids?

My 9 year old is always going to parties, and you cannot stay. Like movies, slot cars, soccer parties...there is usually a small area and taken up by the birthday childs, family..
    So what would you do in that instance?
    My children are still young but it's something i'm very particular about. I'm by no means a helicopter parent, but I don't want my children around other adults who I don't know (as much as I can help it) and I have my reasons

Thanks
    Reviews
    My children are still young but it's something i'm very particular about. I'm by no means a helicopter parent, but I don't want my children around other adults who I don't know (as much as I can help it) and I have my reasons

I am sure you do.

But I am just wondering how people will get around it? no parties? or stay anyway?

It is so so so much harder when they are 9.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is simply not invited to any, I think the fact she has autism and coeliac disease scares people off, but the parties in her class (year 3) are now parties where the only adults who stay are family or very close friends of the family, not school mums. If she did go, and I saw alcohol out or people smoking around the kids then I would not allow her to stay, and would think it was irresponsible. She was invited to 2 parties since Prep, one in a play centre where parents were welcome, the other a skating rink, only the birthday girls parents and skating rink staff stayed. She didn't make it to that one, my mum had her party at the same time. Most others are a weekend afternoon at the child's house. No other parents go past the front door. It's the way it is by 9.