+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to organise for biological father to no longer have legal rights?! Help?

Hi everyone,

The biological father of my son has never been in the picture, he has walked in and out of his life for the last two years and has admitted that he really just doesn't see my son as a priority.

I am married now to the man that my son calls Dad, and we've decided that we want my husband to adopt my son. Also, we no longer want the biological father to have any legal rights..

Simon (bio father) has agreed to this before, and I am pretty sure he is still going to go ahead with it.. but I have no idea how to make it happen!

Has anyone had to do this before and no how it works?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Having just sought legal advice on this same issue... You need to be married for two years, firstly. Also, even if he agrees it has to go before a judge. If he won't agree you can still take it to court, but unless you have a huge reason for him being an unfit parent, you'll be denied.

Hope that helps

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Step parents can legally adopt their step children in Qld - I assume in other states too...

It's quite a LONG process and there is quite a waiting list for SP adoptions, but if the birth dad is willing to sign the release forms, I know that makes it a lot faster and less painful. There is also mandatory counselling for all involved.

More info on Qld adoptions is found on the Dept of Child Safety website...

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My best mate tried to do the same thing but it turned out to be such a lengthy process so they actually changed her sons name to her DH last name.. Might not be adopting but it can be a start to have him with the same last name and it's a really easy process. Best of luck with it all