View Poll Results: When did your child wean while using a dummy, or if your bfing how old are they?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-3 months

3 13.64%
  • 3-6 months

0 0%
  • 6-9 months

1 4.55%
  • 9-12 months

3 13.64%
  • 12-15 months

3 13.64%
  • 15-18 months

1 4.55%
  • 18-21 months

2 9.09%
  • 21-24 months

1 4.55%
  • 24+ months

8 36.36%
  • Between 0-3months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 3-6 months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 6-9 months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 9-12 months and still breastfeeding

2 9.09%
  • Between 12-18 months and still breastfeeding

1 4.55%
  • Between 18-24+ months and still breastfeeding

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used a dummy for DD from about 5 days after she was born. never had any attachment issues & BF her until 12 months.

DS never liked the dummy which is a shame because I found it very helpful - both of my babies have/had reflux & it can help in dealing with the symptoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    3 of my babies had dummies. Out of the 3 that didn't, 1 sucked her thumb and the other sucked his lip. I breastfed all of them for 12 mths each.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD1 had a dummy from about 3 weeks on, my boyfriend was away, I had mastitis and just had to rest, all she wanted to do was suck constantly and because of her poor attachment at first, she was ripping my nipples to shreds. If I hadn't given her a dummy I don't think I could've continued breast feeding, it was just hurting too much having her suck 24/7. She bf til 13 mths (and attachment got better after the dummy funnily). DD2 prob got a dummy around 2 weeks, she never had feeding issues except was jaundiced and would fall asleep all the time as soon as she started feeding, she fed til 16 mths. DS had major attachment issues due to tongue-tie, he was another sucker and hurt too much with the bad attachment. We got the tongue-tie fixed and he fed til 21ish months.

We used the dummy mainly for sleep, I hated dummies til I had kids and ate my words lol! They didn't have them all the time, mainly as a sleep aid.

I believe the study is flawed but I do believe it can affect attachment in the early days and as bumMum said, if people are using the dummy all the time instead of offering the breast it could definitely affect building supply in those first few weeks which would result in people giving up bf.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

HouseOfFun  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never used a dummy for my son because I was worried it would affect breastfeeding whenever the baby needed to build up my milk supply. Having said that I had a baby that loved to suck and so I became his pacifier instead of using a dummy (exhausting!). I breastfed him until 16 months (I only stopped so I could get pregnant again). I sometimes think I could have used a dummy instead of myself at times without affecting the breastfeeding. It's a case of using it wisely. However, I would only be able to judge when to use it now that I have experience. So I still wouldnt recommend using one if a first time breastfeeder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    blah blah blah! when your week old baby is up screaming 5 times thru the night and your milk hasnt come in yet and your exhausted and nothing will calm this baby.....
    Your best friend is the dummy.
    There are orthodintic sorts u can get
    It promptes sucking reflex (if bub's was a poor boob sucker like mine was)
    U dont have to get the $12 for 2 rediculous prices ones!!!
    Who cares, seriously. It's just a pacifier. Sanity for us pareants.
    My DD stopped taking to it at 3mths and i didnt care. She learnt to self settle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ditto.

you can manipulate mathematical statistics any way you like for an outcome.
    and dummy causes dental problems etc. so does thumb sucking.

both my babies had dummies, bf till 3 months and stopped due to low milk supply (surgical reasons)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped bf'ing at 1 week which was about 2 weeks BEFORE I gave him a dummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    4 out 5 of my bubs used a dummy from day one, all 5 breastfed for between 18 mths and 2 years. The only child that didn't have one has oral issuse's both sensory and mouth shape (overbite of 13 mm).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although I'm not a fan of dummies and glad my boys weren't interested in them for very long but think its the biggest crock of **** in regard to babies with dummies weaning! Can't see how that can be the case tbh.

Ds1 was a reflux and had colic as a bub and sucked his thumb so the nurse recommended a dumb might be useful for him, he had the dummie for 2 weeks then wouldn't have it and I was happy to get rid of it.

Ds2 also had reflux and would suck his thumb all the time so I thought he might like the dummy but after 6 weeks he wouldn't take it so again i got rid of it.

Both bubs were still bf after the dummys were gone.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 28-02-2012 at 20:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really think it depends on the child. I have a friend that had twins, and one had a dummy and the other didn't. I'm not sure which one stopped breastfeeding first, but the other stopped a week later.