View Poll Results: When did your child wean while using a dummy, or if your bfing how old are they?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-3 months

3 13.64%
  • 3-6 months

0 0%
  • 6-9 months

1 4.55%
  • 9-12 months

3 13.64%
  • 12-15 months

3 13.64%
  • 15-18 months

1 4.55%
  • 18-21 months

2 9.09%
  • 21-24 months

1 4.55%
  • 24+ months

8 36.36%
  • Between 0-3months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 3-6 months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 6-9 months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 9-12 months and still breastfeeding

2 9.09%
  • Between 12-18 months and still breastfeeding

1 4.55%
  • Between 18-24+ months and still breastfeeding

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both of mine had a dummy from day 1. Both were breastfed and didn't have latching problems at all. DD2 fed much easier and felt different while feeding, but she liked her dummy even more than DD1, so it wasn't that. I had vasospasms so I think it was a great thing to have a dummy. Once I knew they were full and I was empty, a dummy would let them suck off to sleep and my nipple could relax while I cuddled them.

DD1 rejected her dummies around 8/9 months and wouldn't take them anymore. DD2 goes through patches of not having them at all, and then patches of only at night, and then patches of wanting them 24/7. So that is my only problem with dummies, when they get too old for them but won't give them up!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a truck load of bull.****

This 'research' is so flawed and makes sweeping statements and generalisations without providing substantiated evidence or even research pools information.
    Phew! *wipes brow* Saves me from saying it.
    Articles like this are just page fillers. I ignore them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD was three weeks old I think, was feeding well but would not get off my boobs for about 20 hours one day/night, so I gave her a dummy. Worked wonders, she still fed well, gained heaps and was finally happy off the boob for intervals.

Refused to take it by around eight months or so and that was the end of that.

Oh and she was exclusive breastfed until solids, but continued to breastfed until a week or so after her second birthday. Funnily enough she would never even take a bottle until she turned one (she did get EBM in a bottle in the first month though).
    Last edited by bada; 19-02-2012 at 22:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lol yes I think that perhaps babies are weaning themselves from breast to bottle, not to.. Dummy.. I will say though that if someone was to over rely on a dummy in the early days, particularly with a sleepy baby, their milk supply may not be great.. Particularly the early sucking brings in your milk.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    dd1 self weaned at 9months, had dummy till 4(at night)
    dd2 self weaned at 11months, had dummy from 14months(yes from lol) till 3.5yrs(at night).
    dd3 & ds no dummies, but my gosh i wish they'd had them!! as ds believed i was his dummy, feeding a 2yr old 10times a night is TIRING!

dummies rock!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Stopped BFing by what date though? It doesn't say. It'd be helpful to compare to rates of stopping BFing in general through that period to get a better idea about how often it occurs all up.

I used a dummy with both, but mine were FFd from birth.
    I'd imagine 100% of babies who were given a dummy stopped breast feeding... Eventually...

Jasper had a dummy from about day 4 until he was 3 months old. Breast fed till 3 years

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Actuality86  (27-02-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I'd imagine 100% of babies who were given a dummy stopped breast feeding... Eventually...

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We gave ds1 a dummy on the advice of a few midwives on his third day with us.

He was breastfed exclusively for the first six months and fed on demand until he was almost 20 months and on one bedtime feed.

I was four months pregnant and with very sore boobies when I weaned him.

Any attachment issues in those first few months were due to ds's time off the boob due to time spent in hospital and a general lack of experience. I don't believe ds's use of a dummy had any effect whatsoever on breastfeeding.
    Last edited by TimTamsandTea; 20-02-2012 at 01:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't use poll as I'm on my phone...

DD couldn't suck when she was born. She was tube fed and syringe fed in NICU. At about day 5 a nurse suggested a dummy to help her find the sucking reflex and exercise her jaw muscles and whaddya know she BF until I weaned her at 18 months :-) so in our case it helped us BF

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read through all the posts, but the idea that a dummy inevitably leads to an overbite is ridiculous. My mum never gave me a dummy and I never sucked my thumb or any of the 'overbite causers' and I still ended up with a massive overbite (can fit my thumb between my front top and bottom teeth)

As for weaning, DD only BF'd for a week, and it wasnt the dummy that led to it, it was that I had to go back on my depression meds, and my GP couldn't tell me 100% that it wouldnt effect her... Happy mum = happy baby after all.
    Last edited by zonlach; 27-02-2012 at 11:54.