View Poll Results: When did your child wean while using a dummy, or if your bfing how old are they?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-3 months

3 13.64%
  • 3-6 months

0 0%
  • 6-9 months

1 4.55%
  • 9-12 months

3 13.64%
  • 12-15 months

3 13.64%
  • 15-18 months

1 4.55%
  • 18-21 months

2 9.09%
  • 21-24 months

1 4.55%
  • 24+ months

8 36.36%
  • Between 0-3months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 3-6 months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 6-9 months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 9-12 months and still breastfeeding

2 9.09%
  • Between 12-18 months and still breastfeeding

1 4.55%
  • Between 18-24+ months and still breastfeeding

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I bf for about 3 years, she never had a dummy or a bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well DD was an extremely sick baby in hospital and her paed and nurses told me she NEEDED it for the pain as it would help soothe her. She was 15 days old when she first got a dummy.

It did help her sleep and never interfered with BF'ing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is the opposite - bf-ing interfered with taking a dummy! He acts like im torturing him by attempting to put a dummy in his mouth. Boobie makes his eyes roll back in his head with delight. Ahh boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Op I was shocked about the 4 week wean too wow!!
    Dd was given with our permission a dummy at 2 days old by the scn midwives. She was iv fed and bf when I could get there. Dd was always a huge sucker. I would bf sometimes every hour even approaching 1yrs. She self weaned at 14 months. With newbie ill probably still use a dummy but would use breast comfort suck first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my world the article rings true. No one I know used a dummy in the first few weeks and kept bfing past 4-6 wks

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    dd had reflux (so would comfort suck then spew all the milk up) and an underdeveloped suck reflex.
    the dummy helped her learn to suck, and with nipple sheilds i managed to get her on the boob. once she could 'play' with the dummy she refused it.
    still bf at 21 months, no sign of weaning anytime soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

HouseOfFun  (27-02-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleseetee View Post
    My DS is the opposite - bf-ing interfered with taking a dummy! He acts like im torturing him by attempting to put a dummy in his mouth. Boobie makes his eyes roll back in his head with delight. Ahh boys
    my girl does the same. shes asleep on the boob now and id love to pop a dummy in and walk away!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

HouseOfFun  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used a dummy and breasted until 12 months when DD self-weaned.

I can't remember when we introduced it though - cant have been much beyond 4 weeks if it was that old at all.

That being said DD and i had a very easy breastfeeding journey so if we had struggled I don't know if the dummy would have affected things.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This has me a little concerned.

My toddler didn't take to a dummy at all - she is still feeding at 2.8 years old (Im tandem feeding) Never had attachment issues. she had major tummy issues (she has intolerances now) and being a new mum, I thought all her cries were from being hungry. So I fed and I fed and I fed her constantly every time she cried and coupled with my overactive let down - she was in agony for so long.
    she put on weight like a trooper and there was a kg between them at 1 week old...

New babe had very unsettled tummy within a couple of weeks (much like her older sister) and I knew this time I just couldn't feed constantly for fear of having the same cycles.

So I gave her my pinky to suck on. That was all well and good, but I couldn't keep my pinky in there forever as I have a very demanding toddler.

So I gave her a dummy at 2 weeks (I think? I can't even remember). She took to it for going to sleep (I still few my toddler to sleep - she doesn't know any other way).

I never intended to give her the dummy. She has it now and I am taking it out of her mouth just before she goes to sleep.

What concerns me, and it's hard for me to admit is that she's got a funny way of attaching. It's not as good as my toddlers, but then she was a booby monster. I mean monster, and still is. Where as this one self regulates a lot better and comes off when she's full - where as the toddler will still suck away. She doesn't spend hours on the boob for comfort Like the toddler- she does that on the dummy..

Long post, but the gist of it is I wonder If she has attachment issues because of the dummy and this article scares me even more. I'm sad I don't want my baby to wean early. I must stop the dummy

If you can't tell already..I have the major guilts about this..
    Last edited by BabushkaMumma; 19-02-2012 at 18:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannahly View Post
    what a truck load of bull.****

this 'research' is so flawed and makes sweeping statements and generalizations without providing substantiated evidence or even research pools information.