View Poll Results: When did your child wean while using a dummy, or if your bfing how old are they?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-3 months

3 13.64%
  • 3-6 months

0 0%
  • 6-9 months

1 4.55%
  • 9-12 months

3 13.64%
  • 12-15 months

3 13.64%
  • 15-18 months

1 4.55%
  • 18-21 months

2 9.09%
  • 21-24 months

1 4.55%
  • 24+ months

8 36.36%
  • Between 0-3months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 3-6 months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 6-9 months and still breastfeeding

0 0%
  • Between 9-12 months and still breastfeeding

2 9.09%
  • Between 12-18 months and still breastfeeding

1 4.55%
  • Between 18-24+ months and still breastfeeding

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Parents prefer not to spit the dummy

http://www.news.com.au/national/firs...d3dd7e485c3b3c

A NEW study shows first-time mums are still giving their crying babies a dummy despite evidence it interferes with breastfeeding.
    Almost one in four first-time mothers are advised by a midwife to use a dummy, according to the research in the BioMed Central journal.
    Although dummies can be a useful settling tool, they can also be addictive and dentists say prolonged use can cause an overbite and speech problems.
    The matter of whether to give your crying newborn a dummy is as polarising as the breastfeeding versus bottle-feeding debate.
    The study of 670 first-time mothers by Flinders University and the University of Queensland shows 22 per cent of new mothers who gave their baby a dummy were advised to do so by a midwife.
    A further 28 per cent were told to use a pacifier by their mother or mother-in-law. It found 95 per cent who gave their under-four-weeks baby a dummy stopped breastfeeding, compared with mums who didn't use one.
    Queensland hospital policy recommends against dummies "until breastfeeding is established".
    Queensland Health's breastfeeding initiation guidelines say: "Dummies have been associated with shortened breastfeeding duration and may contribute to breastfeeding difficulty."
    Sunshine Coast mum Ali Morris used dummies with both her sons from about four weeks old and had no problems breastfeeding.
    Her eldest boy Mavrik, 4, was breastfed until he was 11 months, while her youngest, Harper, 1, is still on the breast and dummy.
    Mrs Morris said she received varied advice but decided to use a pacifier.
    "I know they say not to use it but I've found it helpful," said Mrs Morris.
    She uses the dummy when Harper is very upset, to hold him off from a badly timed sleep or draw out the time until his next feed.
    "I agree with the dummy but only for a period of time; not until they are two or three or four," she said.
    "But while they're a baby, I agree it helps when they're screaming and nothing else will settle them."

------------------

Really shocked by this bit "It found 95 per cent who gave their under-four-weeks baby a dummy stopped breastfeeding, compared with mums who didn't use one." just wow!

I'm curious to know if you gave your child a dummy when did your child wean? Poll to come..might take me a little bit!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Poll is multiple choice.

DS1 had a dummy (several infact ) and he fed until he was nearly 3! I think it comes down to how/when you use it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave my 3 newborn a dummy the day they were born and breastfed all 3 of them to their 1st birthdays and they only weaned when i decided i had enough didnt not effect the way the fed at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Stopped BFing by what date though? It doesn't say. It'd be helpful to compare to rates of stopping BFing in general through that period to get a better idea about how often it occurs all up.

I used a dummy with both, but mine were FFd from birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont understand how a 4 week old could self wean if its only offered the breast all the babies i know have weaned cause they were offered a bottle so when the baby cried when put near the boob they were given a bottle resulting in no milk and weaned So personally i dont think its the dummy its offering a bottle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD wasn't interested in a dummy as a tiny baby... but a few weeks in I think she started using one.

I don't think it had much to do with me giving up on breastfeeding - that was more of a ME issue than a HER issue.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My bub found the bottle that they gave him in the nursery much preferable to the 'work' that goes into boob milk. Would latch great, suck once or twice, realise he wasn't getting anything straight away and detach. They also gave him a dummy without asking me.
    I think all of that was the biggest contributor to him never being breast-fed. It was just too much work to convince him to try and I was sick with a rather nasty infection for a while so I didn't have the physical energy to push the subject.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can't poll, on phone. Gave ds a dummy before my 2nd home visit from middy haha so he was a few days old, she was mortified and said I wouldn't be able to keep bfing.

We had NO attachment issues ever and bfing was the easiest thing I ever did. Ds weaned at 12 months, when he got over me trying to cuddle him haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Stopped BFing by what date though? It doesn't say.
    I wondered this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    http://www.news.com.au/national/firs...d3dd7e485c3b3c

A NEW study shows first-time mums are still giving their crying babies a dummy despite evidence it interferes with breastfeeding.
    Almost one in four first-time mothers are advised by a midwife to use a dummy, according to the research in the BioMed Central journal.
    Although dummies can be a useful settling tool, they can also be addictive and dentists say prolonged use can cause an overbite and speech problems.
    The matter of whether to give your crying newborn a dummy is as polarising as the breastfeeding versus bottle-feeding debate.
    The study of 670 first-time mothers by Flinders University and the University of Queensland shows 22 per cent of new mothers who gave their baby a dummy were advised to do so by a midwife.
    A further 28 per cent were told to use a pacifier by their mother or mother-in-law. It found 95 per cent who gave their under-four-weeks baby a dummy stopped breastfeeding, compared with mums who didn't use one.
    Queensland hospital policy recommends against dummies "until breastfeeding is established".
    Queensland Health's breastfeeding initiation guidelines say: "Dummies have been associated with shortened breastfeeding duration and may contribute to breastfeeding difficulty."
    Sunshine Coast mum Ali Morris used dummies with both her sons from about four weeks old and had no problems breastfeeding.
    Her eldest boy Mavrik, 4, was breastfed until he was 11 months, while her youngest, Harper, 1, is still on the breast and dummy.
    Mrs Morris said she received varied advice but decided to use a pacifier.
    "I know they say not to use it but I've found it helpful," said Mrs Morris.
    She uses the dummy when Harper is very upset, to hold him off from a badly timed sleep or draw out the time until his next feed.
    "I agree with the dummy but only for a period of time; not until they are two or three or four," she said.
    "But while they're a baby, I agree it helps when they're screaming and nothing else will settle them."

------------------

Really shocked by this bit "It found 95 per cent who gave their under-four-weeks baby a dummy stopped breastfeeding, compared with mums who didn't use one." just wow!

I'm curious to know if you gave your child a dummy when did your child wean? Poll to come..might take me a little bit!
    What a truck load of bull.****

This 'research' is so flawed and makes sweeping statements and generalizations without providing substantiated evidence or even research pools information.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Actuality86  (27-02-2012),Caviar  (19-02-2012),Ulysses  (27-02-2012)