+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to announce?

Hi all
    Im 30 yrs old and 7 weeks pregnant. My fiancé and I are very excited but he really wants to wait until the usual 12-13 weeks to announce our news. This is my first pregnancy, it took 6 weeks to conceive after coming off the pill, my pharmacy pregnancy test came up positive straight away and i have all the usual 1st trimester symptoms. I am confident that we will have a smooth pregnancy but my fiancé is nervous as his sister announced and then miscarried twice. I just find it hard as I want to talk to my friends or mother about my symptoms and things but can't. When did others make their announcements for their firsts??
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy. Wonderful news.

In regard to telling people early, just ask yourself if something were to go wrong would you be happy with everyone knowing. With my first pregnancy, I didn't tell anyone apart from my mum, and although I was bummed I didn't tell anyone else, I was glad that when I did miscarry I didn't have heaps of people to tell.

But that's just me. I don't like talking about my feelings and stuff to anyone, but if you would be happy with the support if everyone knew then that's good.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I know how horrible it can be to suffer the loss, so that's the angle im coming from.

Only you and your fiancé can make the decision though. And you both have to be happy with it.

Goodluck with the rest of your pregnancy. Hope you get to shout your good news from the rooftop very soon xoxo

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    One of our friends knew 5 minutes after I got my bfp on a hpt because he was there at the time (not in the room there, at our house there haha). I have to admit, pretty much everyone knew within the space of a couple of weeks. I think I was at about 5 weeks maybe? I thought it was 7, but thinking back it couldn't have been that far into it.

I think everyone knew by the time I was 7 weeks though. I probably would have kept it to myself until 12 weeks if I'd actually thought about it, but I was too excited, and DH told his parents straight away too.
    I haven't talked to DH about it, but I think we're going to keep it to direct family (which is pretty small) this time around. We don't want people getting all excited about it if the worst was to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With dd we were living with mum so I had done the hpt and told her 2 minutes later. I was five weeks at the time and it was after 6 years of TTC. We announced to everyone around 6-7 weeks

2nd pregnancy we told some people straight away again but had planed to keep it secret until 8 weeks at the 8 week scan we found out we had lost the bub so than I had to tell everyone we were mc instead

This pregnancy I had told 2 close friends straight away than my boss at 8 weeks than our family at 12 weeks some more a week later. But a lot still don't know and I'm currently 19 weeks we will make a proper announcement at 20 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We told our family right away, and have told good friends along the way as we've seen them. We figure these are people we'd tell if things didn't work out

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think it is completely up to you im announced yearly with all my babies an im happy with my choice to let my family share in my joy an fear xx i lost a baby before becoming pregnant with this lil one an my family were a great support

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mummaofspecialneedsx For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on your bfp!

I waited at 16weeks to tell everyone. I told my family at 11weeks because I got a suture placed and me having a week off would of raised eyebrows without a word of warning. But once I recovered from surgery I let everyone know.

It is up to you personally but 12 weeks is the norm since thats when you get the NT scan done if you're getting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

We told our parents straight away and waited until 12 weeks to tell everyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We found out I was pregnant with no 1, when I was 2-3 weeks pregnant. We told our parents, I told a best friend, pretty much straight away. We wanted to wait til we were 12 weeks, but sadly it got out by family before I could say anything. So by 6 weeks pregnant, everyone knew.

This time, with my second. My DH was the one to open his mouth more or less moments after I told him.
    I sent him a picture of the pregnancy test, and moments later on facebook, he announced he was becoming a dad a second time. I just shrugged and followed suit.

Congratulations on your BFP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

We told our parents straight away and waited until 12 weeks to tell everyone else.
    I think this is probably the best way to do it, just think, who would you be comfortable than having to tell that you miscarried? It's good to have support in those situations, just not the pressure of having to inform everyone of horrible news. I told my close family and dps but I didn't tell anyone else until 12 weeks

Waiting on the arrival of William