+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default MCN advice for a clueless first time mum?

Hi all

I would like to use cloth nappies when my bub arrives in July. Just wondered if there were any recommendations for newborns? How many would I need? What other accessories would I need?

A friend has one which have liners you can flush along with poos down the loo which I would prefer rather than scooping..

Is it even worthwhile when they are so young to use MCNs or will I just be making life hard for myself??

Any advice or tips would be welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I don't have anything useful to contribute but I'm wondering the exact same things as you - subscribing : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just looked at Designer Bums and their designs are sooo gorgeous but $200 for six!! I am assuming that is also a designer price

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am not bothering with shaped nappies for my newborn. I will use prefolds and covers for the first few months. They dry fast and are just as easy. After that I will use fitted nappies and covers, simply because I have a heap of them, they work even when the elastic in them dies, they are easy to boost and I find them easy. I also like them because I use wool covers and shorties in summer that lets their bottoms breathe. I find it hard to find sized nappies because of the shape of my babies.

Biggest tip- Don't buy a heap of any type of mcn before your baby arrives. I bought a lot of one type which are beautiful...but suited to chubby thighed babies. I don't know how it happened (considering their mother) but my kids have the skinniest chicken legs around. Not one crease in my kids thighs at any age. All my gorgeous mcn leak around the leg on my kids.

edit- and your quoted price is about standard for mcn. Most are between $25 and $35 each.
    Last edited by Opinionated; 19-02-2012 at 08:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I am not bothering with shaped nappies for my newborn. I will use prefolds and covers for the first few months. They dry fast and are just as easy. After that I will use fitted nappies and covers, simply because I have a heap of them, they work even when the elastic in them dies, they are easy to boost and I find them easy. I also like them because I use wool covers and shorties in summer that lets their bottoms breathe. I find it hard to find sized nappies because of the shape of my babies.

Biggest tip- Don't buy a heap of any type of mcn before your baby arrives. I bought a lot of one type which are beautiful...but suited to chubby thighed babies. I don't know how it happened (considering their mother) but my kids have the skinniest chicken legs around. Not one crease in my kids thighs at any age. All my gorgeous mcn leak around the leg on my kids.

edit- and your quoted price is about standard for mcn. Most are between $25 and $35 each.
    Thank you! Any brand recommendations? I'm actually glad that is the standard price as means I can get the cute designs I like! I definitely won't be getting 20 of any one kind to start with in case they are the wrong type for my bub...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! are u on Facebook? if yes you should join the Buy & Sell Your MCNs group for advice and buying and selling (obviously!).

My personal preference is Itti Bitti D'lish nappies which are sized. You can get some fantastic nappies second hand that you wouldnt even know have ever been used. Iv also heard that Bambooty easy drys are good too. Both my suggestions are a trim fitting nappy so fit as much like a disposable as possible (better under clothes and esp on a newborn where u dont want them swamped by a huge bulky nappy).

HTH

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a clueless new mum-to-be planning to use cloth nappies too.

I found it so helpful to go along to my local nappy shop (Nest Nappies, for those in Brisbane) and learned so much from the ladies there - they actually run a cloth nappy workshop to talk you through everything. I've found it confusing trying to understand everything from the net!

For my newborn bubba, I've decided to use "prefolds" which are basically little flat nappies which you fold and can fit snugly to a little newborn bum. You then cover these with a waterproof cover (I've got some Thirsties, GroVia and Baby Beehind). It's basically the updated version of the old flat nappy and pilchers our mums used.

I've also bought a couple of MCNs from different brands (GroVia, itti bitti, Babyland cheapies) to try once baby gets a bit bigger - I've got a mix of pockets, all-in-ones and all-in-twos. I've also got some sized nappies and some one-size-fits-most. I'll then buy a few of our favourite type.

I've got a total of 20 nappies so far (eekk... I didn't realise I'd bought that many!! haha) and they cost me $350-400 (including some extra boosters).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd suggest havinga read of the sticky's in this thread - lots of great advice there too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    Hi! are u on Facebook? if yes you should join the Buy & Sell Your MCNs group for advice and buying and selling (obviously!).

My personal preference is Itti Bitti D'lish nappies which are sized. You can get some fantastic nappies second hand that you wouldnt even know have ever been used. Iv also heard that Bambooty easy drys are good too. Both my suggestions are a trim fitting nappy so fit as much like a disposable as possible (better under clothes and esp on a newborn where u dont want them swamped by a huge bulky nappy).

HTH

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    I could only find a NZ page - is this it?

Pre-folds plus cover seem to be popular choice for smaller babies...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly6034 View Post
    I'm a clueless new mum-to-be planning to use cloth nappies too.

I found it so helpful to go along to my local nappy shop (Nest Nappies, for those in Brisbane) and learned so much from the ladies there - they actually run a cloth nappy workshop to talk you through everything. I've found it confusing trying to understand everything from the net!

For my newborn bubba, I've decided to use "prefolds" which are basically little flat nappies which you fold and can fit snugly to a little newborn bum. You then cover these with a waterproof cover (I've got some Thirsties, GroVia and Baby Beehind). It's basically the updated version of the old flat nappy and pilchers our mums used.

I've also bought a couple of MCNs from different brands (GroVia, itti bitti, Babyland cheapies) to try once baby gets a bit bigger - I've got a mix of pockets, all-in-ones and all-in-twos. I've also got some sized nappies and some one-size-fits-most. I'll then buy a few of our favourite type.

I've got a total of 20 nappies so far (eekk... I didn't realise I'd bought that many!! haha) and they cost me $350-400 (including some extra boosters).
    Thank you for the info! I think I will also just buy a few of each type. Which Pre-folds did you decide to use?