+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At my kids school they are pretty allergy aware, the kids couldn't bring anything dairy(no butter, yoghurt or cheese etc), egg and some fruits when dd1 went to kindy and this yr for dd2s kindy they cant bring egg or orange fish and of course no nuts of anytype to make it safer for the children with allergys and the schools playtime is before they eat so there is less of a chance for contamination in the playground.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Naturally Good Deliciously Free have cake mixes made in a nut, dairy, gluten and egg free environment. We have the mud cake one, but they also have vanilla.

Tip: use golden syrup to replace the egg instead of No Egg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My family is great when it comes to DS allergies. So it our local toy library where we go a few times a week. He can still get to stuff he shouldn't eat, but the girl who runs it always checks before she gives him stuff, and takes food away that he can't eat if she sees him get it.
    He hasn't been to any parties yet where he could come into contact with eggs, the only parties are with family and my sister is allergic too.
    I did ask our local bakery to make him a cake for his birthday, egg free. They refused stating they didn't have all the ingredients. Even when I offered the ingredients, they refused. So I haven't been back.
    Oh and apparently there is a child at DDs school with a peanut allergy. So I don't send anything that has peanuts in it. I bake most of the stuff anyway, so that the whole family can eat it. But like MissyMack, I know parents who still send their kids to school with peanuts. Admittedly DH tried to send her to school with peanuts the other week, he didn't know she wasn't allowed to have them at school and DD turned around and told him and took them out of her lunchbox. I was very proud of her.
    Last edited by lovemybabies!; 19-02-2012 at 10:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my kids don't have allergies.
    our primary school states that for kindy and preprimary no nuts, eggs etc. be given to any children in their lunchboxes.
    the canteen makes special gf, df cupcakes etc. for special orders so children with allergies are not left out. mind you our canteen only runs one day a week!
    my son is in grade 4 now and as the children are older, don't share food, wash their hands etc. we are allowed to include eggs etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If kids have peanut butter sandwiches they are taken off them and wrapped in glad wrap and parents are notified. If they have anything peanut it is taken off them.

I got cranky because they took biscuits off dd that were home made using Orgran plain flour, Nuttelex, CSR caster sugar, and a drop of vanilla essence. Apparently it looked like it may have had nuts in it :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it really wrong at DD school. They will not ban any food as they feel the child needs to learn not to eat that food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kidlet doesnt have any allergies but I will respect those that do. I cook/bake regularly for mothers group/playgroup and will always make food that all the kids/mums can eat. We have one kid with a severe nut allergy so I have even purchased separate baking/mixing equipment so that there is absolutely no chance of cross contamination.

My DD gets ridiculously hyperactive is she eats processed sugars/lollies. to the point where she wont sleep during the day and goes to bed at midnight!! So we have cut out all sugars at home but the IL's dont get it and persist in giving her stuff behind our backs then whinging when she wont sleep easily. So now I just dont leave her with them. My folks know that I will scream like a banshee if they give her the wrong foods.

In my experience - its usually the strangers/non family members that are most supportive and not the family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Cj* View Post
    I find it really wrong at DD school. They will not ban any food as they feel the child needs to learn not to eat that food.
    I think it's illegal for government schools to ban foods, all they can do is ask parents to be mindful.

It can be tricky, dd is underweight as it is and between what she can't eat, what she won't eat, and what she's not allowed to pack for school, her options are limited and instead of packing food and knowing she will eat, I pack food according to what the school tells us, working around her allergies and intollerances and as a result she brings it back home and goes without food from 7.30am until 3.30pm, when I only give her 1 piece of fruit otherwise she won't eat her tea.

But the alternative is the possible death of a child who is anaphylactic to something. Her school only puts a blanket ban on food if someone is deadly allergic to it. There are 3 in dd's class of 25 with an epi pen who are allergic to peanuts, and other kids in the school too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's preschool has a "no nuts" policy, which is great because she has had a reaction to macadamia nut and has been told to avoid tree nuts. They've also been on top of things with her action plan and have let me know when her epipen and antihistamine have reached their use by date. I think it helps (awareness wise) that her teacher's son has severe allergies too.
    Personally, I am off all dairy and soy while breastfeeding my intolerant baby, and last week when out with friends I asked the waitress about a couple of menu items to see if I could have them. She spoke to the chef who advised what dishes were already suitable and offered to adjust any other item on the menu if I wanted something different. I was surprised at how accommodating they were.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't have any food related allergies in our house. DD1 goes to daycare once a week & they have never specified "no peanuts" but I always exercise caution & don't send stuff with nuts in it. If they ever specified a no go item I'd be fine with that. We haven't had party issues yet but I'm willing to assist & would never mind if someone byo'd. Who are these people that take the safety of children as some sort of joke! They should be glad it's not something they have to worry about 24/7, just occasionally!