+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    3. Feed him every 4 hours during the day. He was happy to go this long between feeds but I was feeding him every 2 hours in the hope that the more he ate the less he'd want overnight. It just trained him to want to snack every 2 hours 24/7.
    Will have to give this a go. I have been trying to feed DD more often during the day hoping it would fill her up and she'd sleep longer at night which hasn't been working at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haha...it is all easier said than done, of course!! I think the answer lies in how desperately you want/need to get a bit more sleep...it is SO easy just to quickly boob them back to sleep isn't it? I am a sucker for it too...

How do you settle your bub to sleep normally? If you b/f to sleep every time it could be difficult. I use the pat/shush type method, which is what I have found works best - though the earlier you start the better. I have tried hard to gently teach my bubs to self settle from around 6 weeks (I didn't with my first child and she was a nightmare sleeper who very nearly broke me!)

I would suggest using whatever method you use to settle bub to sleep (providing that isnt b/f to sleep). Try to cut one feed at a time, say the 2 am feed. So rather than b/f, just try to resettle. It will be hard work, so be prepared to maybe get less sleep (yikes!!) than usual for a few nights. Have you Dh on hand to help, sometime babies settle better for dads since they lack the comforting boobies! Even if you can get her to sleep for another hour it will work towards breaking the 2hrly cycle. Try if for a few nights and see if it makes any difference...Even if you try the 10.30pm feed when you have more energy to try to resettle....

I agree with MH - try feeding better, fuller feeds in the day less often. My LO often feeds poorly in the day now that he is so distracted so a quiet, darkened room is best. And then wait an hour or so before trying solids.

I don't really think introducing formula now will solve sleeping issues. I know plenty of b/f bubs that STTN from a young age (not any of my babies!!) and plenty of F/F bubs that night wake as well.

This parenting gig is not easy is it? And harder when you are shattered through sleep deprivation .

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Kaybaby; 20-02-2012 at 00:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine is only 12 weeks and he's exactly the same. No matter how I settle him, he'll wake up every 2 hours, sometimes even 1 hour. I have tested feeding him 1 mins and a full feed, he woke up 2 hours after that in both cases so I guess it's comfort sucking more than hunger. I have tried to let DH settle him and he went back to sleep after 10 mins protesting. But 10 mins at night is like forever and DH has to go to work early in the morning. If I try to rock him back to sleep he makes his mouth like a little vacuum machine and sucks through my shirt So so far I still feed him to resettle and hope he'll grow out of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Last edited by LoCo; 23-02-2012 at 08:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Last edited by LoCo; 23-02-2012 at 08:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by LoCo; 23-02-2012 at 08:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by LoCo; 23-02-2012 at 08:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I co-slept since Dd was a newborn and she breastfeeds anytime she wants the whole night. She's almost 6 months now. Happy baby, happy mummy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    IS she taking a full feed at night or really just snacking for comfort? I find if my LO (7mths) doesnt take a good full feed, then he wakes more, has another snack, wakes again etc etc. If I can have hime take a nice big feed before going down for the night he sleeps for longer. Sometimes I have to refuse him a B/F if he wakes after only a couple hours, and put in the work to get him back to sleep without the comfort of sucking (much harder than just putting on the boob!). This seems to help him sleep longer.

Personally, and this is only my opinion ( I know a lot of people on BH don't agree with this!), when you get to a point when you are so exhausted you are having trouble functioning because you have been up feeding you bub all night for months on end, there comes a point when you have to make a change. Whether that be setting some "rules" for yourself and bub that you will not feed her more than 3hrly or whatever. I have found (I have 3 kids) that for months on end you try to follow your babys pattern/cues and you nearly kill yourself doing so, you get exhausted, it affects your relationship with your partner, other kids etc, theres come a pont where enough is enough. Your baby does not NEED breastmilk every 2 hours, she WANTS it, and is used to getting it. But if the getting it is detrimental to your physical/mental and emotional health then you need to make a change. My babies seem to follow patterns, they want to feed every 2 hrs (for example), but if I put some effort in to change that pattern to 3hrs then after a couple of nights, the pattern is reset to that...and it is so worth the effort!

Anyway, just something to think about.....Good luck!
    Well said Kaybaby could not agree with you more!!!