+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default STILL feeding 6.5 month old every 2 hours????

Thanks for replies.

All much better now thanks for all the wonderful advice.
    Last edited by LoCo; 23-02-2012 at 08:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 7.5 months and doing the same. Typically waking at 1am, 3am and 5 am. I can get her to resettle without feeding, but then it will only last 0.5 an hour.

Sorry, I don't have any advice, but completely empathize with your situation! I just try not to get too frustrated and keep going with the flow. If I keep expecting her to sleep through I'm just going to make myself upset each night when it doesn't happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was still feeding every 2 hours through the night at 12 mo. glad to report at 18 mo he sttn or may wake once. Good luck. I promise it won't last forever. Is there a way you can sleep in once a week? It helped me a lot that after I got up and fed lo at 5am, my wife would take both kids and get them ready for the day while I got another hour or two sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    I was still feeding every 2 hours through the night at 12 mo. glad to report at 18 mo he sttn or may wake once. Good luck. I promise it won't last forever. Is there a way you can sleep in once a week? It helped me a lot that after I got up and fed lo at 5am, my wife would take both kids and get them ready for the day while I got another hour or two sleep.
    I wish there is no way I can sleep in
    Ah ok anyway aslong as its fairly the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingToPop View Post
    My DD is 7.5 months and doing the same. Typically waking at 1am, 3am and 5 am. I can get her to resettle without feeding, but then it will only last 0.5 an hour.

Sorry, I don't have any advice, but completely empathize with your situation! I just try not to get too frustrated and keep going with the flow. If I keep expecting her to sleep through I'm just going to make myself upset each night when it doesn't happen.
    Thanks hun. I don't expect her to sleep right through just sleep with longer blocks. Sleep is good for you child haha I guess my frustration is the fatigue it's hitting me now. I thought I was super woman

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    IS she taking a full feed at night or really just snacking for comfort? I find if my LO (7mths) doesnt take a good full feed, then he wakes more, has another snack, wakes again etc etc. If I can have hime take a nice big feed before going down for the night he sleeps for longer. Sometimes I have to refuse him a B/F if he wakes after only a couple hours, and put in the work to get him back to sleep without the comfort of sucking (much harder than just putting on the boob!). This seems to help him sleep longer.

Personally, and this is only my opinion ( I know a lot of people on BH don't agree with this!), when you get to a point when you are so exhausted you are having trouble functioning because you have been up feeding you bub all night for months on end, there comes a point when you have to make a change. Whether that be setting some "rules" for yourself and bub that you will not feed her more than 3hrly or whatever. I have found (I have 3 kids) that for months on end you try to follow your babys pattern/cues and you nearly kill yourself doing so, you get exhausted, it affects your relationship with your partner, other kids etc, theres come a pont where enough is enough. Your baby does not NEED breastmilk every 2 hours, she WANTS it, and is used to getting it. But if the getting it is detrimental to your physical/mental and emotional health then you need to make a change. My babies seem to follow patterns, they want to feed every 2 hrs (for example), but if I put some effort in to change that pattern to 3hrs then after a couple of nights, the pattern is reset to that...and it is so worth the effort!

Anyway, just something to think about.....Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

kel87  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by LoCo; 23-02-2012 at 08:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cousin was a 2hr feeder till 18mths old. Nothing my aunt did worked and she saw several LC's and paeds as well. The fact that babies feed every 2-4hrs is true - there has to be some babies that feed every 2!! In the end my aunt co-slept from 5mths till 20mths as it was easier to just pop out a boob or my cousin self-served.

I know its not helpful but yes it is normal

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi loco

I went through this with my DS. I did a few things and the situation improved:
    1. Increase his losec - his reflux still wasn't right and it meant I couldn't feed him then put him down, I'd have to rock him to get the milk down for about half an hour first. Is your DD's reflux under control?
    2. See a chiro
    3. Feed him every 4 hours during the day. He was happy to go this long between feeds but I was feeding him every 2 hours in the hope that the more he ate the less he'd want overnight. It just trained him to want to snack every 2 hours 24/7.
    4. Stop letting him fall asleep on the boob and rock him back to sleep. Gradually start rocking him more and more awake and put him to bed awake and pat him. If he woke in the early part of the night and I knew he wasn't hungry I would rock him back to sleep. Eventually that changed to DH rocking him so there was no boob at all.
    5. Purees instead of finger foods. But that only lasted a month before he went back to finger foods as the stubborn little man refused to eat off a spoon.

Good luck hon xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    no advice for you but my youngest was like that pretty much till i stopped bfing , i co slept thou so some of the feed she used to just help her self LOL

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bgirl For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (19-02-2012)