+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Massage therapist (or something else) for reoccuring migranes - help please

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place...

Can anyone recommend a massage therapist in the Sydney's Inner West, Concord, Gladesville or Ryde areas? I'm after someone who will provide a decent remedial massage to someone who's pregnant. Not just a 'fluffy' waste of time & money pregnancy massage

Let me explain why I'm after such a massage while I'm pregnant. Prior to getting pregnant I suffered from migraines on a regular basis. I'd get them weekly and they'd knock me out for a few days. I was taking pain killers like they were smarties. Not good! Anyway, I tried various things and discovered that regular remedial massage fixed the problem. They got rid of the severe muscle tension in my back & hey presto, no more migraines. Now that I'm pregnant I can't find anyone who will give me a remedial massage. Pregnancy massage yes, but not with the pressure required to get rid of the knots in my back and neck. While it's very relaxing it's not what I need.

My migrants have now returned. I'm getting at least 2 per week. My OB has OKed the use of some pretty strong pain killers so I can cope with the pain but this is not a long term solution...it doesn't fix the problem. My OB also doesn't see any problem with me having a remedial massage. Surely it's better than throwing pain killers down my throat day after day.
    I've tried acupuncture, chiropractor, osteopath, etc and none of it has worked and I can't keep throwing money after bad. I'm not saying these therapies don't work, they're just not working for me right now.

Oh! and I'm 15 weeks pregnant with twins! So this is only going to get worse if I stay on this path...a lot worse. Honestly, I'm starting to get scared I may never find a solution.

Please, if anyone has any recommendations or advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Please! I'd appreciate any recommendations or suggestions if things I could try. I'm worried that staying on this path is hurting my babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just sent you a PM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Windupbird For This Useful Post:

ustwo  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello!

I get hormone induced migraines, which there is not much I can do to completely releive, however I have found my osteopath is WAY better at helping than any fluffy pregnancy massage. Perhaps that is an option for you?

At least with an osteopath they can help realign a couple of different things that could be causing your migraines...

lower back pressure from carrying bubs
    jaw aches
    neck aches (obviously)

and they spend most of the time massaging, but a heavy, almost painful massage. Much better than relaxation massage!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wish I could help in your area. I go to remedial massage for the same thing and I've been told its okay during pregnancy as well. Same for reflexology.
    Um, call a few more?? Do you have PHI? They usually have a list of remedial therapists who can do it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure you see a therapist who has specific training with remedial and pregnancy.
    The east coast has a lot more detailed courses than here in wa, so I'm sure you'll find a good therapist.
    Best of luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry about double post!
    Last edited by Butterfly Kisses 86; 27-02-2012 at 14:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you been to your dentist recently for a check up? One of the most common causes of migraines is a condition called thrombomadibular joint disorder aka TMJ. It has to do with the alignment of your jaw. I'd strongly suggest you look further into this as TMJ not treated will effect your back, hips, legs and give you suicidal head aches, and will probably cost you a lot of money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The correct spelling is tempromandibular (TMJ). If you can't find a dentist to work it for you, see a chiropractor who specializes in treatment for that condition and they should do a full body assessment to help ease the pain.

Thrombo is a term used to describe blood clots and that should be a trip to your gp - urgently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am on Inderal (beta blocker) and golly gosh, I love the stuff. If I miss it 2 days running I get a migraine straight away. I practically begged my doctor to let me stay on it this pregnancy. It is on the restricted list but if they are so bad you can't function like mine, there's not many options. I couldn't hold a job or look after the other kids with three classical migraines a week.