+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first son was slow I felt like everyone was bragging too my second son is ahead and now I see it's not bragging it's just talking about common interests - try not to take it to heart your baby is perfectly normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    See, I don't see it as competition as such, not initially. I guess when you tell another mum that your baby has started doing xyz, they try to relate with their own story. They may reply 'Oh yes, z started crawling at x age' and perhaps it twigged a bit of jealousy? You wouldn't feel the same if she responded with 'Oh, z hasn't started crawling yet' would you?

I have seen blatant competition though. I was due after another woman was, by 2 days. She turned it into some sort of competition and got downright nasty towards me when I gave birth before her. She was jealous, but I have no idea why? What's there to be jealous of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that competitive mums are probably harder on themselves than the average person. I am competitive by nature, and I really have to stop and remind myself all the time that kids do things at different times, and that there is not just one kind of normal. I can say personally that I worry that I am failing my kids when people make comments like "oh, she isn't toilet trained YET?", Or strangers tell me my son (4 months) is fat.

That being said, I am not one to compete with other mothers in the "my child did this first" type of way. I tried Mothers Group and hated it for this very reason. I just beat myself up quietly in a corner while my DH tells me to get over myself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    I think that competitive mums are probably harder on themselves than the average person. I am competitive by nature, and I really have to stop and remind myself all the time that kids do things at different times, and that there is not just one kind of normal. I can say personally that I worry that I am failing my kids when people make comments like "oh, she isn't toilet trained YET?", Or strangers tell me my son (4 months) is fat.

That being said, I am not one to compete with other mothers in the "my child did this first" type of way. I tried Mothers Group and hated it for this very reason. I just beat myself up quietly in a corner while my DH tells me to get over myself!

......... i bet you are doing a wonderful job with your children and not failing them at all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Humphreyisapuppet For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Humphreyisapuppet View Post
    So, maybe it's just me but i am so sick of competitive mum's!
    It's like its a rush to see who's baby can roll over first or sit up or crawl first.

My baby didnt roll over untill 6mths, she did not sit up untill 9mths and she only started crawling at 10.5mths. She only has 2 bottom teeth at 12mths. You know what? i dont care!!!!! she's STILL normal!!!!

While other mum's with younger babies feel the need to brag and go on and on about how many teeth they had at 4mths old.

If i make a big deal over my baby crawling, i find out that their (younger baby) has been crawling for a couple of mths now and is now standing. (Crawling is so 6mths ago , gosh) It's like they are always trying to get ahead of me and i feel i just cant win at times.........WTF??!!?! a baby's development is not a competition!!!! omg Im turning into a competitive mum as we speak!

its almost like they are rushing thru milestones to get to the next one before anyone else does.....so they can claim it. omg i am tradgic for thinking like this but i am just over these people!!!!!

Anyone feel like this at times???

Yep. This is why I have never been too involved with mothers group or playgroup. I didn't go at all with ds1 but have become a little involved with ds2 because I've been a sahm but I go back to work in a few weeks and sure as hell won't miss it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes... My brother is competitive by nature, his bub is due in 4 weeks time so there will be 10 weeks between his and ours. I just know he'll be comparing...

*sigh*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    See, I don't see it as competition as such, not initially. I guess when you tell another mum that your baby has started doing xyz, they try to relate with their own story. They may reply 'Oh yes, z started crawling at x age' and perhaps it twigged a bit of jealousy? You wouldn't feel the same if she responded with 'Oh, z hasn't started crawling yet' would you?

I have seen blatant competition though. I was due after another woman was, by 2 days. She turned it into some sort of competition and got downright nasty towards me when I gave birth before her. She was jealous, but I have no idea why? What's there to be jealous of?
    ......o wow i had a woman sort of like that. She was deffinately jealous from the time we announced our pregnancy. i was due 6 weeks before her and it's like she is constantly reminding me that her dd is 6weeks younger but doing everything, if not more than my dd is doing. Even compared our pregnant bellies telling me im so small ALL THE TIME. Our babies birth weight was 2oz appart lol

I know milestones are not a competition and we say these things to relate to eachother. i just cant help but feeling a little inferior because my dd takes her time in meeting milestones....or is lazy lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverspoon View Post
    Oh yes... My brother is competitive by nature, his bub is due in 4 weeks time so there will be 10 weeks between his and ours. I just know he'll be comparing...

*sigh*
    ....oh no makes me cringe at the thought. At least mother's groups you can run away from, but family......hrmmmm.......goodluck hang in there and be strong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've found playgroup to be full of very lovely people, and have been lucky not to see any of the competitive behaviours there. Most of those sorts of things seem to have come through people I knew pre-DD.

I sometimes worry that people might think I am one of 'those' mums, as DD was early for all the milestones.

It's hard, as I feel like I sometimes can't say when she is doing something new for fear that someone might think that. And sometimes I get excited and talk about something funny she did/ said, and then realise that it is outside of the norm and it might look like I'm showing off.

Sometimes other people talk about how she is ahead on certain things, and I feel like I almost have to find something negative to say about her ("Yes, but she's not very good at blah blah blah yet...") or else play it down, as I'm paranoid about sounding like I'm bragging.

I definitely think that some incidents of 'competitive mum' syndrome might not be intended that way by the mum in question. I'm even paranoid that this post sounds like bragging now! Arghhhh....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also found that these competitive mum's are not just competeing with their babies milestones but also with jobs, their babies clothing, nursery room set up, clenliness of their homes, cooking home made food everyday (packet baby food is a sin) ......they want to be the best at everything. Why!?

The mum's in my group r returning to work and think they r doing it harder than SAHM's because they r juggling work/childcare/home duties/raising ther baby while going to ther jobs. I am so left out of their conversations.
    I am a SAHM and i hate the question "when are you going back to work?" "So what do you do?....SAHM.....ok, so where do you work?" arghhhh!!!!!