+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Lightbulb Holiday with 20 month old - kids clubs/nannies?

Hi all,

My husband and I are really keen to have a holiday somewhere warm and relaxing this winter.

He however would like a "child-free" holiday, whereas I couldn't bear to be away from my little girl for more than a night at this stage.

The compromise might be having a kids club or babysitter/nanny for part of the time so we can have some relaxing time by the pool or a couple of dinners out.

We are thinking that somewhere in Asia will probably be more likely to guarantee warm weather and also be cheaper. We like Bali and Thailand (and flights are reasonably prices to there) so they are high considerations.

I have looked into resorts and it seems that they don't have kids clubs for the age our little one will be (between 20-20 months at that time). Even Club Med doesn't seem to have a Baby Club Med (free babysitting club) in the Asian locations?

I know it might sound paranoid but I'm really nervous about leaving my little girl with anyone we don't know - babysitter or nanny even through an agency. I do however totally understand how my husband is feeling that a little bit of childfree time will allow us to actually relax and recharge.

What suggestions do others have on resorts they have stayed with a child the same age as mine and any child care/nannies and babysitters you would recommend that are totally trustworthy?

What are your thoughts on Club Med and any recommendations in Asia for those of you who have been to one of the Club Med Asian resorts with a child around the same age? (Club Med says babysitting is an additional cost, can anyone advise approximately how much it is?)

Also what sort of cost would we look at for a nanny/babysitter in general?

Sorry for the waffly post, just feeling really torn between wanting a bit of recharge time but also wanting to know my daughter is safe and happy at the same time.

BB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm funds wise, I dont know what your budget is like but is there a trusted person here that you could pay half their flights and accomodation. Maybe a young adult looking for a cheap holiday on the proviso they will be doing a portion of childminding. If I was around 17- 20 and someone offered me that I would have jumped at the oppurtunity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I wouldn't trust a nanny in any third world country like Bali or Thailand. You just don't know what they are like. Of course they will probably be fine but you just don't know.
    I also wouldn't trust a nanny in a kids club over there. There was a case of s e xual abuse a few years back, an employee was abusing kids as they went to the loo. The resort in question was a large one. They admitted that screening gprocedures weren't up to scratch in that country and as it was to do with the laws and procedures in that country they were powerless to change things.
    Why don't you consider QLD? Many big resorts can get you a sitter for the night

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stayed at the Padma in Bali when DS was 12 mths. He was to young to stay in the kids club by himself but the staff that work in the kids club can be hired to care one on one. We used the same lady everyday. You can book a inhouse carer with the hotel anytime of the day. All the ladies that worked their had been there for at least 10 years. We only paid $5 per hour. I have heard from friends that other hotels around Asia and Fiji can do the same. If there is a kids club normally the same staff can be hired for one on one care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing is if you don't feel comfortable leaving LO with the nanny in the kids club they can accompany you where ever you go (by the pool or at meals) and they keep the LO entertained while you and hubby relax. We would always pop in to the kids club randomly and check if DS was ok and if we went out of the hotel for dinner we could call the kids club and check up on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt trust leaving mine alone with a nanny or kids club. The only thing I would do is have a nanny to chase after them while ur sitting around relaxing. I would alway have my eye on them. But that's me

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are heading to Phuket club med which now has the baby club with an 18 month old. Just FYI

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Personally I wouldn't trust a nanny in any third world country like Bali or Thailand. You just don't know what they are like. Of course they will probably be fine but you just don't know.
    I also wouldn't trust a nanny in a kids club over there. There was a case of s e xual abuse a few years back, an employee was abusing kids as they went to the loo. The resort in question was a large one. They admitted that screening gprocedures weren't up to scratch in that country and as it was to do with the laws and procedures in that country they were powerless to change things.
    Why don't you consider QLD? Many big resorts can get you a sitter for the night
    That just sounds racist to me - not sure why you trust a random Queensland babysitter anymore than a Balinese or Thai nanny?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

babycake  (18-02-2012),Luna Lovegood  (18-02-2012)